"Brompton weighs in on better battery laws to clamp down on eBike fires "

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Electrical Safety First has drafted a Ten Minute Rule Bill, to be tabled by Yvonne Fovargue MP. The Bill will seek to introduce third party certification for eBikes, eScooters and their batteries to reduce the risk of dangerous batteries entering the market and, subsequently, people’s homes. If introduced, the regulation would see e-bikes, e-scooter and their batteries added to an existing list of products which are already subject to third party certification, including fireworks and heavy machinery.

Conversion kits and charging systems could be subject to new standards too, while mandatory markings on lithium batteries would emphasise to households that they are not suitable to be disposed of in general waste, following many recycling centre fires."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Labour MP Yvonne Fovargue is to submit a 'Ten Minute Rule' bill supported by Electrical Safety First later in the spring, with the aim of helping to "weed out bad operators producing dangerous batteries that put people's lives at risk".

Lesley Rudd, chief executive of Electrical Safety First, said: "The support for our bill by Brompton Bicycles demonstrates how reputable manufacturers want to protect shoppers and their industry from the bad operators in this space who may be producing substandard batteries.

"Our bill will better protect the public, protect good businesses and weed out bad operators producing dangerous batteries that put people's lives at risk."

The bill has also received support from 46 organisations, including the College of Paramedics, the National Residential Landlords Association and insurance providers Axa and Zurich."

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
What they want is to protect their over priced products and to get rid of competition.

Almost all of the fires we read about are caused by abuse and absolute stupidity. This country needs fewer regulations not more. The nutters in society are NEVER affected by such regulations because they ignore all of them. All that will happen is that small producers of batteries will have to shut up shop because the costs of certification will be massive for the small maker.

This insane 'Something must be done' ****** drives me absolutely nuts. It affects more and more of our ability to do ordinary things without the interference of government. Blair's government went nuts on this kind of thing and brought in 4000 new regulatory laws and more or less doubled the laws on the statute book in about thirteen years. . You can't even go up a ladder more than 12 feet without breaking the law unless you spend a fortune on a scaffold. You are not supposed to replace a switch and socket in your own house unless you are a certified and up to date electrician. A pal of mine who worked for forty years installing gas systems and the last ten inspecting installations for BritishGas, when he retired was not allowed to fix a boiler without spending about three thousand quid to get re- certified. Absolute Nanny State madness.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
What's going to stop people from using R/C lipos powering their ebikes, like we used to.
Nothing . If anything comes of it, it will just be more garbage legislation and will be ignored by the people who cause the real problems in society.

Reactions: Scorpio

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
This sensationalist BS from the Labour List website:

A fully charged e-bike battery contains a similar amount of stored energy to six hand grenades.

Lithium-ion batteries can cause particularly dangerous fires because they can take and hold far more energy than other battery types. This makes them ideal for e-bikes and e-scooters by allowing longer use on a single charge. Yet few realise that a fully charged e-bike battery contains a similar amount of stored energy to six hand grenades.

Wait till they find out how much energy is stored within a candle! F*king morons. This is the trouble when science isn't taught in any meaningful way in our country and the numpties who get into power have mostly studied sociology or the classics.

@Woosh @Wisper Bikes comments?????

Reactions: Tony1951

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@Woosh @Wisper Bikes comments?????
1WH = 3600J (Joules) or 3.6KJ.
You know how much charge is left in your battery.
A hand grenade has about 50g of TNT explosive, about 200KJ, about 55WH.
What makes these things dangerous is the speed of their release. If all that energy is released in a fraction of a second (like a grenade), then it can blow up a wall. That's why cylindrical cells are so much safer than pouch cells. Cylindrical cells have a steel jacket container and a slow release gas vent. They burn still fiercely but do not explode like you see some e-bikes on those YT videos.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
What makes these things dangerous is the speed of their release. If all that energy is released in a fraction of a second (like a grenade), then it can blow up a wall. That's why cylyndrical cells are so much safer than pouch cells. Cylindrical cells have a steel jacket container and a slow release gas vent. They burn still fiercey but does not explode like you see some e-bikes on those YT videos.
:D

I was thinking more specifically about your thoughts on the proposed legislation.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The real issue is how rapidly the energy is released and whether the containment is made of iron shaped to fragment into chunks of nasty shrapnel.

My 45 litre petrol tank contains 1,508,670KJ, and a thousand pounds of TNT contains 4 million, so my petrol tank is a quarter of a 1000 pound bomb!!! I know which one I would prefer to have set off 30 meters from me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I was thinking more specifically about your thoughts on the proposed legislation.
I support the idea of certification of batteries albeit with some reserve.
The cells themselves are already subject to compulsory certification.
The issue is there exists in China an important fake industry which rewrap unbranded cells with fake labels. Importers may be fooled to buy unknowingly dodgy batteries.
I think we need deterents in the form of mandated insurance that importers have to take out to protect consumers for when things go t*ts up.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I support the idea of certification of batteries albeit with some reserve.
The cells themselves are already subject to compulsory certification.
The issue is there exists in China an important fake industry which rewrap unbranded cells with fake labels. Importers may be fooled to buy unknowingly dodgy batteries.
I think we need deterents in the form of mandated insurance that importers have to take out to protect consumers for when things go t*ts up.
It's not just the batteries though, they want to legislate for kits too:

Reactions: Tony1951

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's not just the batteries though, they want to legislate for kits too:
Standardise charging protocol, plugs and sockets, is a good idea.
if the components are safe then there is much less need to legislate the kits.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Tony, I'm not looking to agree or disagree with the main thrust of your post, but I'm guessing you'd prefer to be correct in what you say so I hope you take my correction in the spirit intended?

You are not supposed to replace a switch and socket in your own house unless you are a certified and up to date electrician. .............
Part 'P' of the building regulations does allow some 'DIY' electrical work, e.g.

Best wishes.

• Agree
Reactions: StuartsProjects

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Tony, I'm not looking to agree or disagree with the main thrust of your post, but I'm guessing you'd prefer to be correct in what you say so I hope you take my correction in the spirit intended?

Part 'P' of the building regulations does allow some 'DIY' electrical work, e.g.

Best wishes.
View attachment 57364
Thank you for the correction. I appreciate it. I am sorry for misinforming the forum.

Reactions: Bikes4two