Brose motor problems

Bruce Lee

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2016
Australia
Hi guys I have a Levo Turbo and my brother has a Rotwild enduro.. both 27+ and both new and using Broser.

Both bikes suffer from same power drop out while pedaling. Sometimes it takes 2 - 3 seconds for motor to engage and sometimes it just cuts power for a sec or two while pedaling.
Unfortunately the shops we bought them from dont know much and cant help...
All speed sensor/magnet position and adjustment has been checked.
Anybody know of a fix or update?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Short circuit in the battery? Do you do jumps and other off road stuff?

My motor cuts out on speed bumps or large potholes, there is probably a short in my bottle battery because it doesn't do that with the lipos.

D

Deleted member 4366

Unfortunately the shops we bought them from dont know much and cant help...
I didn't realise that was a way of getting round consumer protection laws. Brilliant. Thanks. I would like to write some more about it, but I've no time because I'm off to buy some Chinese knock-off phones to sell on Ebay. If the buyers are unhappy, I'll just tell them, "sorry, I don't know anything about them".

Mar 9, 2016
Totally agree with D8veh..That's not a legitimate get out. If they don't know they should find out or stop selling the bikes.
Messing with almost new bikes can invalidate warranty so take them back and pester dealer.
Generally ,fault apart, what are bikes like. Never seen one.
Make some big claims on website but weight / specs look good.
They quote torque as 90nm but don't say where ( or at what rpm) so that can be misleading.
They also call torque power in table comparing with bosch/ yam..
wp_ss_20160510_0001.png
That is poor , they either don't know difference or assume riders don't.
Get back to dealer and moan.
Its not on.
Keep us posted.
Where are you? Which dealer ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've just been looking back through my private messages from July last year, where I was having a discussion about the Brose motor, and there are similarities between what you have described and what was being described in the private message.
For various reasons the forum member decided not to go through with the purchase that they had paid for, and requested/received a refund.

The comments by the forum member about both the bike, plus what I have read on the German pedelec forum, were and are enough to persuade me that I'd never touch a Brose powered bike.

There are also other reasons that I'd never contemplate buying either a Rotwild or Bulls, but as it is only the motor that is being discussed, I'll leave it there.

If this were me, and the bikes are as you say new, and assuming that you have bought the bikes from this company, then I'd take them up on their promise of a refund. http://justebikes.co.uk/about/our-promise/

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Bruce's location is showing as Aus, right Bruce.

Mar 9, 2016
Bruce's location is showing as Aus, right Bruce.
Don't think we,ll know dealer then !

I read review of that bike a while ago. Think it was in Emountainbike.. They said it was first emtb not compromised by e system. A really good review but I couldn't find a dealer to look at one...
There are some massive claims made on Rotwild site ???

Perhaps SW could go and help sort it ??

Last edited:

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Totally agree with D8veh..That's not a legitimate get out. If they don't know they should find out or stop selling the bikes.
Messing with almost new bikes can invalidate warranty so take them back and pester dealer.
Generally ,fault apart, what are bikes like. Never seen one.
Make some big claims on website but weight / specs look good.
They quote torque as 90nm but don't say where ( or at what rpm) so that can be misleading.
They also call torque power in table comparing with bosch/ yam..
View attachment 13935
That is poor , they either don't know difference or assume riders don't.
Get back to dealer and moan.
Its not on.
Keep us posted.
Where are you? Which dealer ?
I've popped a few of my thoughts in this thread if you're interested...

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/new-specialized-turbo-levo-models-hardtails-fat-bikes.24164/

Bruce Lee

May 9, 2016
Australia
Hi yep AU

and not doing anything like jumps.. more just mild trail... with some bumps...the surging on the motor happens even steady state sealed road riding.
These bike are great except for the motor issue.
I looked at some of the info you guys pointed me to and yes the Brose has had same issue in reviews and end user. I cant read German so probably miss most of the finer points on web forum stuff on Brose.
Bad feeling about this... My mate has a Focus Thron 2 with Impulse and although not totally integrated it has massive battery range and totally reliable... we chose to go Brose even after riding his... big mistake.

Cold Water

May 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
What exactly was the problem with the Brose motor, if you don't mind sharing? I have just returned Kalkhoff Include with Impulse Evo motor (latest) because of the issues with the motor, and started looking into models with Brose motor (BH Revo Diamond), hoping for better reliability...

Mar 9, 2016
Know a rider with Force Thron Pro with 600wh battery, he loves it. Reckons best bike going, I tried one on demo ( to be fair only 20 mins or so, and it was raining,) and preferred Yamaha, but that 600wh battery as standard is a big bonus.

Bruce Lee

May 9, 2016
Australia
As per 1st post, problem is motor randomly not adding drive/cutting out for a few seconds. Seems like a sensing issue to me as it happens on smooth road at constant load.
I guess all brands are going to have the odd bad bike but this is two new bikes with same issue and same motor.
Rotwild may be getting sold and replaced with Thron (last years model still in stock in Oz..). not new Evo.

I have not seen a Yamaha to try..

This link is a guy in Norway that explains the issue with his bike in detail.. much worse than ours but he rode it for 3 months before he returned it and got a different brand.
http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/new-member-with-a-new-bike-on-its-way.2330/

Last edited:

Ruley

Just Joined
May 13, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
G'day Bruce,

You may have already but it might be worth giving electric bike centre a ring. They sell the brose powered BH and Rotwild. Is a shame there's not a great amount of knowledge here in oz regards e-mtb's. I've just picked up a scott e-spark in the last couple of weeks, bought from a small scott dealer and it's the first one he's sold, being bosch powered though I was comfortable with it. I almost went the way of the levo....

Cheers,

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Hi All, just reviving an old thread as I find it relevant to me at the moment.

Just about to buy my first e-bike, and was really swaying toward the Levo. Partly because of the integration of battery and motor it must be said. I find this really disappointing to now find the Brose has these issues.

I guess the bright side is that is may save me money by leading me back to my initial thoughts of the Bosch driven KTM.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I was wondering if I rushed into my Cube purchase especially without trying Levo. This thread has put those regrets to rest. Can't wrong with Bosch drive for reliability and performance.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
After a quick Google:

There have been no reports of any problems since May 2016.

On the French forums there are a few threads which talk of a software problem that was making cut off at 25 km/h a bit rough. A software update has apparently fixed the issue. There is no issue on the non European bikes because the cut off isn't at the same speed. One person managed to fix the lumpy motor issue himself by changing settings in the LCD.

There is a huge difference between "software glitch which has been corrected" and "motor reliability" ask an Impulse motor owner...

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Aren't Brose one of, if not the largest manufacturer of electric motors for car windows / power steering etc. Supplying the likes of Mercedes. I would be amazed if their actual motors were carp so was pleased to hear it's just a software issue.

On Bulls I would like to know what the issues are as that is a firm I'm considering n

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Cheers guys. The Cube of KTM route is probably the more sensible option for me, but I just can't get my head past the design of the Levo with battery and motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

Cheers guys. The Cube of KTM route is probably the more sensible option for me, but I just can't get my head past the design of the Levo with battery and motor.
You know how much a Brose battery is when it needs replacing, or where to get one from?

Related Articles

Advertisers