Help! Budget conversion, Drill batteries?

smdts

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2020
I am a total ebike newbie looking to do a diy conversion with little outlay, just for fun, I dont need massive range.
All my work tools are milwaukee, and I have several 9 amp 18v battery packs and adaptors are available for them that are a battery holder with a couple of decent size wires coming out. If I was to fit 2 or 3 of these and wire them in series would that work to power a conversion kit. I dont see any 54v kits available, can I overdrive a 48v kit?
What size of motor would be a good match for the milwaukee batteries?
thanks in advance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes you can use cordless tool batteries is has been done esp with the battery holders.
This one in the US is the best retro bike I have seen using six Dewalt power tool batteries, simply brilliant.

A couple other less inspiring conversions in the thread below.

Reactions: smdts

smdts

May 25, 2020
thank you, worth a look. The 9 amp batteries fare well in my heavier draw tools so should be alright. can I drive a 48v kit with 54v?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, the controller will be 63v rated , 18v is 5s so x 3 is a 15s battery in series limit your charge to 4.15 or 4.1v per cell group so not pushing the main capacitor to the limit.

Reactions: smdts

smdts

May 25, 2020
Ok, had a shot of a rough 1500w conversion with budget parts poorly put together, and I am hooked, I will put a few more quid in to the parts now, but still considering drill batteries, as I can never have too many batteries in my work van.
I already have 1x milwaukee m18b12 18v 12ah high output battery, for much less than a decent 48v battery I could buy another 2 and 3 holders, and I have the 6 bay rapid charger running off the inverter in my van, so should I be ok with a 1500w rear hub kit and 3 18v 12a batteries in series?
Plus as they are primarily a work tool I will get the vat back and its a business expense.

Reactions: mike killay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you really want a heavy 6.5 kg 1500w D/D motor in a back wheel ?

smdts

May 25, 2020
my daily ride is 123kg and 43300w And I am 15 stone, my riding spot has some steep loose hills.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A bit of a difference a motorbike with an ice engine and a pushbike converted to a moped using power tool batteries for 1500w heavy hub.

smdts

May 25, 2020
I am open to advice though, would a 36v 12ah setup be ok for a semichubbster?

smdts

May 25, 2020
A bit of a difference a motorbike with an ice engine and a pushbike converted to a moped using power tool batteries for 1500w heavy hub.
Where I live I go out my back gate and its dirt trails all the way, dont need to touch a road. plenty hills though.

smdts

May 25, 2020
Today I bought my mrs a cheap used chinese import 500w ebike, and you are right, 500w is plenty. I was seriously disappointed when I had a go on a friends 250w one that he paid about £2500 for which had me looking at the bigger motors, but 500w is plenty, assist level 3 out of 5 was spot on.
the other unexpected bonus was my mrs bike came with 2 batteries, so if I can find a baseplate I have a battery to start my conversion with.
I think the battery is a Hailong. I will start a new thread asking about that. If I can find a 500w kit of similar quality to this I will be happy. The quality of the components on this bike is actually quite decent, nice brake levers, decent wiring, controller hidden in the frame, it was just cheap because it was lacking in maintenance, half a days tinkering and it is night and day.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The smaller geared hubs are lighter and quite powerful, Awol's Q128H an Aikema geared hub will be about 3.3kg and couple that with a 25a controller should be more then enough. A 201rpm 48v hub should top out at 21/22mph and have very good torque being a low wound motor. You would need a good current control controller and PAS to pedal with it.
48v gives you 33% more torque over 36v.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those powerful D/D hubs are good if it is flat where you live as they are designed for speed and not torque for low speed or climbing ability. Though they can be if you throw plenty of current at them along with a monster battery to deliver the power.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

smdts

May 25, 2020
How do you deal with the dye packs in the atm going off or the money getting burnt in the explosion? Do i need oxygen cylinders too? Propane doesnt just explode like everyone imagines.
This Ebike malarkey just raises more questions than it answers.

• :D
Reactions: danielrlee

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This Ebike malarkey just raises more questions than it answers.
Like your self many see the powerful options out there and add 2 +2 up and get 5, they get hood winked by the power quoted and price then compare them against dearer & lesser quoted power kits with often much better electronics.
What isn't understood by most is that high power requires high current and much more costlier batteries with pucker cells in them or more cells in parallel to delieer the said current.