Build no two now im semi confident

Low

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
England norfolk
Hi all, after my first build im feeling quite confident so im going to convert my rockhopper, its a red specialized with nice spec, going to try and do a proper factory looking job on it, have some nice alluminion and am going to go rear 1000w rear hub and have battery and controler boxes into the middle triangle have a mate whos a sprayer so once iv found a car with the same paint colour il take the reg down and get him to spray it up, prob going to pot rivit it all together, just need access to the non cog side of the frame, will think about that later.

Thanks to everyones help i feel almost ready to hit it (big thanks to D8v and awol too, invaluable)
The new hub is comming with what looks like a 7 cog set up on the back, i dont know if this is a magazine or a freewheel (dont really know the difference)

My question is this, my spec rockhopper has a 9 cog sram setup on the back, have i already shot my self in the foot, also, if im honest i really dont pedel that much, my cyclotricity is just left permanantly in top gear.

What, if anything can i do, do i have options or have i bought the wrong thing, returning it is not really an option.

Regards
Low

D

Deleted member 4366

The gears most likely will be freewheel gears with a 14T top gear, which is a bit on the low side. There's two ways out: You can get a DNP freewheel with 11T top gear in 7 speed or 8 speed, or you can get a bigger chainwheel, like 52T. The 8 speed freewheels are quite wide and normally require the rim to be off-set a bit. When your wheel comes, try it in the frame and have a look to see how central the rim is and how much you'd have to spring the frame to get the extra cog in.

The changers will work, though not very precise in the middle gears, where you have to do two clicks forward and one back to stay in that gear. Set the end-stops and cable so that you get top and bottom gears correct. They'll probably be the only ones you'll use.

D

Deleted member 4366

Count the number of teeth on your present chainwheel, them look at how close it comes to the chainstay. Say you have a 42T chainwheel, the 52T will be 52/42 times the diameter or radius, so you can see how much further it'll come. Would there be enough clearance. The ones I did were very close. IIRC, I had to get a longer bottom brackets, which are £10 from Halfords.