Building a Cruiser

Valkeerie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2013
1376393_10151577104310834_374357124_n.jpg

Hi, just joined, but I've been reading for some time. I'm scratch-building a cruiser bike and plan to electrify it. It's early days and I'm still mulling over options - I just wanted to say hi. FYI, it has an old-school BMX bottom bracket and industrial 135mm wide rear dropouts. The old French fire extinguisher is probably going to sit between the crossbars (unless I change my mind and put batteries in a fake tank).

Cheers,
Colin

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
View attachment 7175

Hi, just joined, but I've been reading for some time. I'm scratch-building a cruiser bike and plan to electrify it. It's early days and I'm still mulling over options - I just wanted to say hi. FYI, it has an old-school BMX bottom bracket and industrial 135mm wide rear dropouts. The old French fire extinguisher is probably going to sit between the crossbars (unless I change my mind and put batteries in a fake tank).

Cheers,
Colin
Hi Colin.
A nice looking frame, and interesting idea re. the fire extinguisher:D Where has the frame come from? Is it one you've restored, or purchased as is?

Valkeerie

Oct 23, 2013
Hi Colin.
A nice looking frame, and interesting idea re. the fire extinguisher:D Where has the frame come from? Is it one you've restored, or purchased as is?
Hi Phil,

The frame came raw from Ruff Cycles in Germany but I bought it from the Cruiser Shop in Lincoln. I had it painted locally. The fenders, rims and forks came from Classic Cycle parts in Germany:
Classic Bicycle Parts | Classic Cycle Custom Vintage Bike Parts Pimp My Chopper Cruiser Lowrider Polobike Bicycle

Colin

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Oh BU&&€R - Wish you hadn't posted that link: I've just spent this year's stash (ebikes, for use of) on a 29er & one of John's excellent kits, being in need of some sensible transport for the winter, so nothing left for playing :confused:

Oh well, I'll have plenty of time for plotting & dribbling over specs while I save for next year's project.

Scratch-built Beach Cruiser, methinks...

Love the link - "Pimp my Chopper" - The mind boggles.

Needless to say; You'd better keep us posted as the build progresses.

Valkeerie

Oct 23, 2013
Oh well, I'll have plenty of time for plotting & dribbling over specs while I save for next year's project.

Scratch-built Beach Cruiser, methinks...

Love the link - "Pimp my Chopper" - The mind boggles.

Needless to say; You'd better keep us posted as the build progresses.
I wouldn't hold your breath for updates :) I'm in a design quandry caused by foolish aesthetics, viz, wanting huge 64mm rims and tyres. The current plan is to build the back wheel using an ebay shimano cassette hub, measure everything carefully, decide whether I want to run a smaller rear rim and use a Bafang 500W CST, or stick with the big rim and wonder endlessly whether the Bafang crank kit can be bodged into my BMX bottom bracket, and whether it will tear a euro adapter to pieces.

I really like the Bafang CST. Sigh.