Bulls electric bikes

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
I like the look of the Brose system. However I don't have any local dealers and am put off by lack of information compared to Yamaha and Bosch.

If buying on-line what happens if I have a fault or problem with the electrics my local shop can't fix? Also will it be a problem to buy a replacement battery in x years time?

Bulls E-Stream evo 3 FS 27.5 looks perfect for me. Anyone know what the controls / display are like on the Bulls Brose bikes?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
http://justebikes.co.uk/products/bulls-e-stream-evo-45-speed/

"As with all Speed pedelecs this high speed e-bikes you need to hold a driving license, have insurance and register the e-bike with the DVLA to use it on public highways."

Just to confirm will this also need a registration plate etc. even if ridden on green lanes / bridleways?
Wicky....but you cannot register them,there is no mechanism within VOSA to register S-class Pedelecs,that is the eternal problem.
Don't know whether the new Pedelecs type approval intended to be introduced prior to Jan 2018 will encompass S-class. That doesn't help self builds which could usefully use a classification under SVA.
At the moment unless you want to convert your S-class into a mini moped ( some have tried,In my opinion the results are not attractive),you cannot register an S-class e-bike in the UK.
KudosDave

Reactions: EddiePJ

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014

"As with all Speed pedelecs this high speed e-bikes you need to hold a driving license, have insurance and register the e-bike with the DVLA to use it on public highways."

Just to confirm will this also need a registration plate etc. even if ridden on green lanes / bridleways?
I note that it's still a 250w motor so I'm assuming it's a software upgrade to raise the limiter.
If so can this software be applied to all Brose motors?
If applied how would anyone know unless they ride the bike ? The motor will say 250w.

Seems a strange one as most S pedelec are 350w or higher

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
These motors have been in use in cars (think vibration, temperature, humidity) for many years so reliability is not an issue. They (as an e-bike motor) have a very good reputation in Germany. They are expensive because made in Europe.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Wicky....but you cannot register them,there is no mechanism within VOSA to register S-class Pedelecs,that is the eternal problem.
Don't know whether the new Pedelecs type approval intended to be introduced prior to Jan 2018 will encompass S-class. That doesn't help self builds which could usefully use a classification under SVA.
At the moment unless you want to convert your S-class into a mini moped ( some have tried,In my opinion the results are not attractive),you cannot register an S-class e-bike in the UK.
KudosDave
I was just checking here - as on another forum (motorcycle one) coincidently a chap was saying he was interested in buying that particular one and said the that bike as it was 250w fell in some grey area and he would be able to use it. Here's some quotes from him:

"Just needs registering, insurance, bicycle helmet, and lights, no plates, indicators, mirrors or other stuff, just look at what they come with when sold new as you wouldn't be able to sell one if it didn't comply. Though technically/legally, you can't ride an e-bike that gives assistance over 27kph on a bridleway, just don't tell anyone it's rated at 45 as it looks just the same as the 27kph rated bikes that Bulls makes."

and

"I believe there are certain grey areas in the legislation, in main to do with how the power is requested from the rider as well as the power output. If the e-bike has a throttle and a motor larger than 250w, then it needs to comply with the legislation you have quoted. (note, throttles have been banned on new unregistered e-bikes from 2016)
If it's purely pedal assist, then it all gets a bit vague and i've been informed, by the UK importers, that registration with the DVLA is all that's required. Also, on checking the figures, the E-Speed 45 has the same power motor as the 28kph models in the rest of their range, it's just the top speed that differs. So, the motor's at 250W but will go faster than the EU legal standard, which is where the anomaly/grey area lies."

I pointed him at the s-pededec laws and regulations on this site, and a copy of Cols open letter so at least he was better informed before splashing out nearly 4 grand - then he stopped posting. But it does highlight how some folk are knowingly or willingly deluding themselves and the dealers are doing a 'look into my eyes' and leading them on with a mishmash of info...

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
But how would anyone know it's a S pedelec without riding it? Then the question is..can you buy a 27koh limited one and by a software upload increase that to 45kph?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a bad ass dongle will fit the brose motor and be faster than the sclass anyway :)

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I don't think an S or a dongle makes either faster?? It just raises the limiter. The actual speed is down to your input too. It's not like adding a turbo charger lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will have 50kph with a dongle sclass will cut out at 45kph.

it just lifts the speed limit ;)

Reactions: Crockers

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Wicky.....there are no grey areas,if the bike has more than a 250 watt motor and/or speed cutoff above 15,5 mph then it's a motorbike...the dealer in this case has stated that the bike 'just needs registering'....the problem is there is NO WAY OF REGISTERING AN S-CLASS BIKE IN THE UK.
If you buy such a bike you can only use it on your own private land,making sure their are no bridle ways or mapped footpaths across it,or...
You use it wherever you like and take the risk that you will never be stopped for using an unregistered,uninsured,failure to display number plate,driving licence and so on illegal bike.
I think anyone who buys an S-class to use openly in the UK just takes the risk and thinks it unlikely he will be stopped,the biggest danger is being involved in an accident with injury involved,then the bike will be analysed very carefully....the dealer will say 'YOU WERE TOLD TO GET IT REGISTERED,YOUR PROBLEM'
You wouldn't drive your car off the drive without registration,insurance,tax,number plates,driving licence,nobody would do that,but the offence seems minimised just because it is a bicycle.
I just don't understand the appeal of S-class e-bikes.....they are very expensive,at that price level you can buy a very powerful motorbike which can be legally and easily registered. Also the latest legal e-bikes are not that less powerful or fast than these S-class bikes.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was just checking here - as on another forum (motorcycle one) coincidently a chap was saying he was interested in buying that particular one and said the that bike as it was 250w fell in some grey area and he would be able to use it. Here's some quotes from him:

"Just needs registering, insurance, bicycle helmet, and lights, no plates, indicators, mirrors or other stuff, just look at what they come with when sold new as you wouldn't be able to sell one if it didn't comply. Though technically/legally, you can't ride an e-bike that gives assistance over 27kph on a bridleway, just don't tell anyone it's rated at 45 as it looks just the same as the 27kph rated bikes that Bulls makes."

and

"I believe there are certain grey areas in the legislation, in main to do with how the power is requested from the rider as well as the power output. If the e-bike has a throttle and a motor larger than 250w, then it needs to comply with the legislation you have quoted. (note, throttles have been banned on new unregistered e-bikes from 2016)
If it's purely pedal assist, then it all gets a bit vague and i've been informed, by the UK importers, that registration with the DVLA is all that's required. Also, on checking the figures, the E-Speed 45 has the same power motor as the 28kph models in the rest of their range, it's just the top speed that differs. So, the motor's at 250W but will go faster than the EU legal standard, which is where the anomaly/grey area lies."

I pointed him at the s-pededec laws and regulations on this site, and a copy of Cols open letter so at least he was better informed before splashing out nearly 4 grand - then he stopped posting. But it does highlight how some folk are knowingly or willingly deluding themselves and the dealers are doing a 'look into my eyes' and leading them on with a mishmash of info...
Easy.....say that you will buy the bike after the importer has registered it,let the importer take the responsibility of the DVLA registration.
Please come back and report how the dealer succeeded with the registration.
KudosDave

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

James, from the link above that Wicky has posted you state that a test ride of the bike is available. Where exactly is that test ride available from?

Last edited:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Mind you. At my age I doubt I'd be able to ride much faster than 27kph lol.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
James,Just e-bikes,you must respect that the moment anyone asks how you register these S-class bikes every forum thread just stops.
It isn't good advertising to say....YOU CANNOT LEGALLY USE AN S-CLASS BIKE ON UK ROADS SO IF YOU USE ONE YOU HAVE TO RISK PROSECUTIONS....bit blunt that,but that is the reality.
KudosDave

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I hear the penalty us transportation for life to the colonies.

I wish someone would answer the Question though, if the Brose motor is 250w and is marked as such how would anyone know it's an S pedelec without riding it?
Also how is a 250w motor restricted to 45,kph? Can a pedelec with the same motor have thev27kph restriction removed?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Crockers

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Must be a misprint on the justebike website

SPECIFICATIONS
Fork Rock Shox Pike RC Solo Air, 150mm, 15 mm through Axle
Rear Shock Rock Shox Monarch RT, 150 mm
Drive Train Brose 250W
Rear derailleur Shimano Deore XT RD-M8000 SGS, 11-speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT FD-M786DT
Shifters Shimano Deore XT SL-M8000
Handle FSA, 44/30T
Cassette Sprockets Shimano Deore XT CS-M8000, 11-40T
Brakes Tektro Dorado HD-E715 hydraulic disc, 203/203 mm
Handlebar BULLS
Stem BULLS
Headset FSA
Seat post BULLS
Saddle Fizik Nisene
Hubs Formula
Rims Ryde Disc Bull
Wheel size 27,5 Zoll
Tyres Schwalbe Super Moto-X GreenGuard SnakeSkin 27,5 x 2.40
Pedals Wellgo
Extras Powerpack: 37V/17,5Ah/650Wh / 3 modes: Eco, Tour, Sport / Charging time: approx. 3,4 hrs to 80%, approx. 5 hrs to 100%
Specifications correct at product launch date and may vary during production year.