Buying abroad...

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Hi.

I'm back in the market for a pedelec, having been riding my Giant front wheel eZee conversion for nearly 3.5 yrs now, which I'm glad to say has served me well and not missed a beat (John will testify to that as I haven't had to contact him since purchase..!)
I fancy treating myself this time to a full bike so started reading lots of threads on here about the various crank drive systems, as they would be my preference due to looks and weight distribution, etc.
After a bit of travelling around I've been able to test ride a few so have tried bikes with the Bosch active, performance and older classic motors, as well as the yamaha system on the Haibike trekking and hard seven models.
Each has its merits but I think I'm favouring the premium feel of the Bosch performance system, which I tried on a KTM Cross 10+.
I've arrived at a bit of a crossroads. I like the KTM's but they are getting harder to source in the model/size I prefer i.e. large frame (5'11"). Also the performance models are a bit more that I wanted to pay, so I'm looking at active ones too. Then I found German website MHW bike via a link on here selling cracking models that you just can't get in the UK at silly prices (I know the pluses and minuses of buying abroad have been debated on here before...)
So my main question is has anybody bought a bike from MHW ? and if so what was the experience/after sales like. Also has anybody bought one of these 2 bikes and if so what are they like..? http://www.mhw-bike.com/ghost-andasol-4-man-darkgrey-white-limegreen-black-2015-2824 or http://www.mhw-bike.com/detail/index/sArticle/4321.

Thanks,
Phil.

D

Deleted member 4366

None of the UK guys will touch it for warranty work, so you should ask the supplier how that would be handled. Do they have a UK partner?

C

Cyclezee

Hi.
I'm back in the market for a pedelec, having been riding my Giant front wheel eZee conversion for nearly 3.5 yrs now, which I'm glad to say has served me well and not missed a beat (John will testify to that as I haven't had to contact him since purchase..!)
Hi Phil,

I'm glad to hear that the eZee kit has given good service.

You are one of many who have bought eZee that we never contact us, from that I can only assume no news is good news.

Good luck with your hunt for something new;)

Reactions: PhilYerBoots

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi.

I fancy treating myself this time to a full bike so started reading lots of threads on here about the various crank drive systems, as they would be my preference due to looks and weight distribution, etc.
After a bit of travelling around I've been able to test ride a few so have tried bikes with the Bosch active, performance and older classic motors, as well as the yamaha system on the Haibike trekking and hard seven models.
Each has its merits but I think I'm favouring the premium feel of the Bosch performance system, which I tried on a KTM Cross 10+.
I've arrived at a bit of a crossroads. I like the KTM's but they are getting harder to source in the model/size I prefer i.e. large frame (5'11"). Also the performance models are a bit more that I wanted to pay, so I'm looking at active ones too. Then I found German website MHW bike via a link on here selling cracking models that you just can't get in the UK at silly prices (I know the pluses and minuses of buying abroad have been debated on here before...)
So my main question is has anybody bought a bike from MHW ? and if so what was the experience/after sales like. Also has anybody bought one of these 2 bikes and if so what are they like..? http://www.mhw-bike.com/ghost-andasol-4-man-darkgrey-white-limegreen-black-2015-2824 or http://www.mhw-bike.com/detail/index/sArticle/4321.

Thanks,
Phil.
Two different bikes, the Ghost is more trekking style with mudguards, carrier, lights, and tyres more suited to roads or well made paths.

The Haibike is more of a mountain bike.

No mounts for a carrier, although you could use a seat post one, or the expensive Thule one which mounts on the seat stays.

The Yamaha system is similar to the Bosch, not quite as refined, but the double ring on the front gives you a better range of gears.

Ghost is a respected German brand and their push bikes are sold here, so you might at least be able to find a UK company which has some contact with Ghost in the Fatherland.

Warranty work on the Haibike could also be a problem.

I would seriously consider buying abroad, but only if the savings were £500 plus.

But then along comes Eddie with a link to a £1,700 UK supplied KTM.

The spec's decent, and it would be easier to put on 'guards and carrier.

Caution and a preference for supporting UK retailers would make me buy the KTM.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thanks for all your replies.
I have asked MHW what happens in the event of warranty work so will see what they say.
Agree that ktm is good value Eddie and I think that model was the first Bosch bike I tried. I found it a bit stretched forward on the bars for me as Im used to a more upright position on my Giant. The KTM cross 9 is same price and similar spec so might suit me better. The same dealer is getting a KTM Fun 9 in soon hopefully which looks great value for the kit included so I'll try that too. Also like Kudos Dave says the new KTM models might be announced soon so it might be worth waiting till after their factory holidays.
I know cheap isnt always best and I would prefer to support local dealers so I'll continue my search and see what happens..

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Just had a reply from MHW to my warranty question as below:-
---------------------------------------------------------
Hi Phil,

you can go to every bike store near you in case of.

Our Service department will check everything for you.

After you have the bike repaired send us the invoice and we will repay you the costs.

Thank you
Marian

That's interesting but leaves me wondering if recovering any repair costs will be as straight forward as he states. I've read a mixed bunch of reviews for this seller that seems to praise them with 5 stars when orders/bikes are spot on, but not so good if anything goes wrong in the order/delivery process, which is the true test of a dealers customer service levels.
Most of the problems seem to relate to people ordering/paying with Paypal before checking they have the bike/size in stock. They then get offered to 'upgrade' to next best model that is in stock...hmmm.
Anyway, the research continues...

D

Deleted member 4366

Any bike shop will be happy to sort out brakes, spokes, gears, etc. If your frame brakes, the bike is done for anyway, so it's no problem to send it back. The difficulty is when your display needs a reset or your crank bearing gives up. No bike shop can fix those. Your bike would have to go to a Bosch service centre.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Good point Dave, basic repairs are one thing, Bosch specific problems would be a pain to say the least..
The trials and tribulations of buying the right pedelec from the right dealer eh...maybe I'll do another conversion with a BBS01 instead..!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Ref the stretched forward comment. A shorter stem, and raised bars could help with that one. I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also 5'11" ish and whilst I have a large size frame, it's perhaps a just a tad too big, and with the standard flat bars, it's surprising how much weight is placed upon the wrists, and how much tension is created in the neck/shoulder area. I hadn't registered this until yesterday after getting the bike back together. I've been riding around on a ladies Macina Fun for the last few weeks, and the difference comfort wise is very pronounced.
At the possible expense of road climbing balance, I've just ordered up a change of stem and bars.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Bosch are not easy to deal with on warranty claims even when the purchase is straightforward,by that I mean that the claim is being made by the selling agent,I would suspect that having the bike checked by a third party bike shop and then submitting that claim back via the german dealer would be difficult.
Our experience of bike shops is that they are not really happy to work on e-bikes,sometimes ok for just the mechanical side but most wont touch the electrics,its outside their comfort zone.
Kudosdave

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Our size puts us in-between a medium and large frame Eddie, which is a pain as 'L' is better so you dont feel cramped up in the pedal action, but means you stretch more with a standard stem and bars. I did change my old Scott hardtail with a MTB adjustable stem, riser bar with ergo grips and bar ends which made a huge difference to comfort.
I could do the same again with an e-bike but would prefer to get the right combo of frame, spec and comfort from the off, which is proving harder than I thought..
Sounds like Bosch warranty work is difficult regardless of dealer then Kudosdave..
Fingers crossed the Ktm fun 9 turns up soon as i reckon that fits the bill for me.