Buying advice

Trevorg

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2020
Hi everyone
I'm looking to buy a new ebike to replace my Gtech which got stolen about 6 months ago. I have become lazy since then because my employer gave me free use of a car, and I need and want to get back on a bike. It will be mainly used to commute, and I have a choice of a fairly hilly 12 miles each way, or a 10 mile gravel towpath. I
I'm prepared to spend around £2k, and am quite tempted by Ribble bikes offerings, and also the Raleigh Motus range, but I could use some advice. There is a 10Kg weight difference between those 2 bikes, so how do similar motors cope with the extra weight? Are there any better options in this price range for my needs?
Kind regards
Trev.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi everyone
I'm looking to buy a new ebike to replace my Gtech which got stolen about 6 months ago. I have become lazy since then because my employer gave me free use of a car, and I need and want to get back on a bike. It will be mainly used to commute, and I have a choice of a fairly hilly 12 miles each way, or a 10 mile gravel towpath. I
I'm prepared to spend around £2k, and am quite tempted by Ribble bikes offerings, and also the Raleigh Motus range, but I could use some advice. There is a 10Kg weight difference between those 2 bikes, so how do similar motors cope with the extra weight? Are there any better options in this price range for my needs?
Kind regards
Trev.
If you were happy with the assist the Gtech offered the lighter options might be preferable but not necessarily better. It depends on your preferences. My favourite lightweight option at this price would be the Boardman. If you join Cycling UK you get 10% off that would make it on your price range. https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-hyb-8.9e-mens-hybrid-electric-bike-133934.html

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Consider the woosh Faro have ridden both and in my opinion they are similar in weight and assist capabilities, the internal battery in the Faro gives more than 5 miles extra range and like the Gtech it doesn’t scream E BIKE

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hub-motor for commuting and light trail use
Crank motor for proper off-road stuff.

The more your usage is bent towards commuting, the stronger the argument for a hub-motor. For hub-motor bikes, stick with long-established brands, like Wisper, Juicy, Oxygen or similar.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes