Buying the right bike for the right reasons

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
none of the fs fat bikes are cheap tbh and there heavy.

my bike is 20kg and think its still to heavy:(

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Electric is no problem:

http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/e-bike-hardtail/fatbike-hybrid/cube-nutrail-hybrid-500-blackngreen-2016/

Cube weighs in at 22.5kg & £2900, although there may be one going cheap this weekend as my employer is to announce redundancies on Thursday :(. I won't even receive my Cube Nutrail till Friday.
OOOW!!
Redundancy isn't all bad. Depends on how old you are and how long you have worked there..
Bike looks cool and I like the colours so will put one on my possible compromise list.
I am assuming the fat rear will come somewhere between a hard tail and FS.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
them tyres are 50 quid each mind, not sure what they are like to ride tho.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
them tyres are 1kg a piece same as my sg ones.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fs in to a hard tail ;)

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats a fat bike:D

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Had a look at one of these.. Going back for a test ride sometime next week..

I am thinking 29 wheels then all my tyres and tubes are interchangeable, and I dont know if this applies to all brands but I particularly liked the 2 stage lockout enabled remotely from a gear change type trigger on the bars..

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/241495007/SCOTT-E-Genius-920-Bike

Comments invited!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Had a look at one of these.. Going back for a test ride sometime next week..

I am thinking 29 wheels then all my tyres and tubes are interchangeable, and I dont know if this applies to all brands but I particularly liked the 2 stage lockout enabled remotely from a gear change type trigger on the bars..

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/241495007/SCOTT-E-Genius-920-Bike

Comments invited!
I read somewhere the position of the rear link makes a difference.

The Scott has the link at the axle, this Lapierre has it on the chainstay.

I believe the chainstay design is meant to be superior because it gives better traction and less pedal bob, although I could be mistaken.

Hopefully Martin won't mind me lifting his pics in exchange for a link to his site.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Lapierre-Overvolt-FS-700-2016?sort=pd.name&order=ASC

Lapierre-Overvolt-FS-700-2016-Shimano-XT-Gears.jpg

Scott:

Scott-E-Genius-720-Plus-2016-Shimano-SLX-Mech.jpg

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I read somewhere the position of the rear link makes a difference.

The Scott has the link at the axle, this Lapierre has it on the chainstay.

I believe the chainstay design is meant to be superior because it gives better traction and less pedal bob, although I could be mistaken.

Hopefully Martin won't mind me lifting his pics in exchange for a link to his site.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Lapierre-Overvolt-FS-700-2016?sort=pd.name&order=ASC

View attachment 13505

Scott:

View attachment 13506
TBH I have no idea what all that actually means in the real world..

I have looked at Lapiere but there is nowhere that I can get to to try one..
I have easy access to 3 bike shops,
One does Scott and KTM, although they were a bit negative on the KTM and were pushing Scott (maybee that could be a "Margin" issue),. another is selling Haibike, and I think the 3rd stocks Cube..
Plenty to pick from local, and of course there is the internet, but they have to be bought untried.. and it's poor form to try at lbs and the buy on the net.
That's how we are putting the high street out of business..

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It may mean naff all - mountain bikers are just as prone to believe marketing guff as any other type of cyclist.

If there is some advantage to the link position, it's probably only in extreme use which I doubt will apply to you.

Reactions: EddiePJ and Gubbins

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member

I have looked at Lapiere but there is nowhere that I can get to to try one..
I have easy access to 3 bike shops,
One does Scott and KTM, although they were a bit negative on the KTM and were pushing Scott (maybee that could be a "Margin" issue),. another is selling Haibike, and I think the 3rd stocks Cube..
Plenty to pick from local, and of course there is the internet, but they have to be bought untried.. and it's poor form to try at lbs and the buy on the net.
That's how we are putting the high street out of business..
You can try SCOTT, KTM and Lapierre at OnBike;) as well as others...

Reactions: VictoryV