By way of introduction - Hi!

Vincent

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2021
Hi - I have yet to buy my first e Bike but have been doing a lot of research online. I live at the foot of the Malvern Hills and currently ride on the relatively flat lanes between home and the River Severn.

However, my last mile or so towards home is all uphill when I'm most tired - so I want some assistance. I'd like hub gears with a belt drive to reduce maintenance and I've been advised to go for a Bosch CX4 or Brose S for the extra Nm. That really raises the bar on price. I can save four figures by going for the Gen 3 Bosch (but it's 20 Nm less torque) so I'm dithering and hoping to get a test ride where there are proper hills.

Here's my local circuit elevation.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0416_01.JPG

thats with a borsch gen2 performance motor and a 400w batt and 11spd cassette.

Vincent

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2021
Cheers but Jeez that's noisy! Don't think I'd hear any bird song over that. I'm pretty ancient with angina and a bad back so I'm not into off road exhilaration :). I'm told Brose are quieter than Bosch.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the cam is on the handle bars so picks up vibration noise.

T42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2017
Rh17
Have a look at the Riese and Muller Charger, with a Enviolo hub and Gates belt drive. I’ve been riding one for 4 yrs and service is minimal. Last service was a software update .

Reactions: DiggyGun

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Have a look at the Riese and Muller Charger, with a Enviolo hub and Gates belt drive. I’ve been riding one for 4 yrs and service is minimal. Last service was a software update .
I’m waiting to get my Riese and Muller Nevo3 Enviolo GX and looking forward to it. According to their website, should be at the dealer next week, so to me the week after hopefully.

Glad to hear that work on them is minimal.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I would not get too hung up on the torque figures your ride is relatively flat. I use a shimano E7000 regularly on a route with over 1000 ft climb with some very steep sections. Obviously depends on your fitness but I find the E7000 which has I think 60 Nm more than enough for any hill I encounter. Don’t get too hung up on the figures, get a bike which fits is more important.

Reactions: artspeck