Help! C300 Handlebar Display

David Kerr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2020
I need a Bigstone C300 Handle bar display (controller) I have searched eBay and emailed Bigstone with no success. I was wondering is anyone breaking a Batribike Dash or any other ebike with a C300 handlebar display type C300-1407-A979 36v. Or is there a compatible unit that I could just plug in as I am a mere rider with no technical know how.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a pic, I have a C300 though it might not be the same.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I need a Bigstone C300 Handle bar display (controller) I have searched eBay and emailed Bigstone with no success. I was wondering is anyone breaking a Batribike Dash or any other ebike with a C300 handlebar display type C300-1407-A979 36v. Or is there a compatible unit that I could just plug in as I am a mere rider with no technical know how.
Your controller and display are not particularly good. You can replace both with an equivalent set for less than the price of a C300, or you can pay a bit more and get a much better system.

The C300 is made by Bigstone. Most likely, any of the common Bigstone LCDs will work, but I never tested that.

David Kerr

Oct 13, 2020
Your controller and display are not particularly good. You can replace both with an equivalent set for less than the price of a C300, or you can pay a bit more and get a much better system.

The C300 is made by Bigstone. Most likely, any of the common Bigstone LCDs will work, but I never tested that.
Hi
What would you recommend as a replacement

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My C300 has three connectors and not the same. It was used with a hall sensor Lishui controller

A throttle 3 pin Julet, male pins.
A 2 pin brake .
A 8 pin trunk cable julet, male connector (yours has female connector) this is different from your 8 pin connection as it doesn't have the 8th center pin but 8 aroud the circumference.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can get your bike working on throttle and PAS1 by cutting off the cable from the LCD, then strip back a bit to find the red and blue wires. Either put a switch between them or twist them together. That should keep you going until you find a replacement LCD.

Brainpower with LCD is about £40. It works more or less the same as what you have. KT controller and LCD3 is around £70. It's much better than what you have. The motor will be smoother and quieter and the power algorithms are better. Both controllers require some rewiring and some adjustments of the LCD settings. Do not try to save money on a cheaper LCD for the KT controller. You need a good one to get access to all the settings.

David Kerr

Oct 13, 2020
You can get your bike working on throttle and PAS1 by cutting off the cable from the LCD, then strip back a bit to find the red and blue wires. Either put a switch between them or twist them together. That should keep you going until you find a replacement LCD.

Brainpower with LCD is about £40. It works more or less the same as what you have. KT controller and LCD3 is around £70. It's much better than what you have. The motor will be smoother and quieter and the power algorithms are better. Both controllers require some rewiring and some adjustments of the LCD settings. Do not try to save money on a cheaper LCD for the KT controller. You need a good one to get access to all the settings.
Many thanks for this do you think a mere rider like myself can handle the rewiring and LCD adjustments required. Could you recommend the best place to purchase the KT controller and LCD3.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Many thanks for this do you think a mere rider like myself can handle the rewiring and LCD adjustments required. Could you recommend the best place to purchase the KT controller and LCD3.
Bike riding is not a good qualification to do electrical installations. everything is easy when you know how to do it.

To install a controller, you need to understand, you need very basic knowledge of wiring and you have to be able to solder. These things are easy to learn, but if you're totally ham-fisted and non-technical, it might not be a good idea to tackle a job like that on your own.

Topbikekit or PSWPower are probably the best places to buy a KT controller

David Kerr

Oct 13, 2020
Bike riding is not a good qualification to do electrical installations. everything is easy when you know how to do it.

To install a controller, you need to understand, you need very basic knowledge of wiring and you have to be able to solder. These things are easy to learn, but if you're totally ham-fisted and non-technical, it might not be a good idea to tackle a job like that on your own.

Topbikekit or PSWPower are probably the best places to buy a KT controller
Many thanks for all of your directions I probably have to engage the services of my son with the wiring and soldering. Can I ask for just a little more help with my order. On the Topbike web site there are a number of drop down boxes (screen shot attached). I have changed the display to the LCD3 display but could you advise what other alterations I need to make to the remaining boxes. I will try and remove the existing controller tomorrow see what size of a recess I have.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It would be a good idea to get a speed sensor in case the one in your motor packs up, and I would get an 8 pole PAS as well, just in case. They don't cost much when you buy them with the controller. When the controller comes, ask again, and we'll show you how to connect it. Don't start until you've had help because there are some hidden pitfalls.

David Kerr

Oct 13, 2020
It would be a good idea to get a speed sensor in case the one in your motor packs up, and I would get an 8 pole PAS as well, just in case. They don't cost much when you buy them with the controller. When the controller comes, ask again, and we'll show you how to connect it. Don't start until you've had help because there are some hidden pitfalls.
Many thanks again for your advice I will certainly need assistance to do the replacement. There are a couple of other drop down boxes which I need to complete. What do I need to set the Brake box to as the brakes are just conventical bike brakes and do I need the HWBS. I think I will also get the throttle for all the extra cost as I have an existing hand throttle.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes that was the second smaller cable coming out of my C300 display.
That's a shame. You'd have to cut off the connectors and extend the wires down to the controller, or you can buy a pair of the crappy brake levers with the controller, or you can buy one or two HWBSs. They fit on the brake cables. You have to cut 2" off the outer to make room for them, or you can forget about brake sensors because they're not really needed with a KT controller.

David Kerr

Oct 13, 2020
That's a shame. You'd have to cut off the connectors and extend the wires down to the controller, or you can buy a pair of the crappy brake levers with the controller, or you can buy one or two HWBSs. They fit on the brake cables. You have to cut 2" off the outer to make room for them, or you can forget about brake sensors because they're not really needed with a KT controller.
More wire connecting is the connector to the controller readily available.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
More wire connecting is the connector to the controller readily available.
Yes, but I always cut them off and solder the wires. I'll use connectors if they match because I'm lazy, but if the connectors don't match or the wires are in the wrong sequence, it's much quicker and easier to get rid of them.

David Kerr

Oct 13, 2020
Yes, but I always cut them off and solder the wires. I'll use connectors if they match because I'm lazy, but if the connectors don't match or the wires are in the wrong sequence, it's much quicker and easier to get rid of them.
Thanks again for the advice about to place the order i will be in touch again when the unit arrives.