Calling all Yamaha motor owners

hugh burden

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2013
West London
I have a 10yr old Gepida Berig ebike.
I needed a new battery. Gepida wanted £900 for a new one. The bike battery & electronic controllers are configured to ONLY work with the Yamaha battery.
Apparently this is contrary to European competition law.
Solution: get the battery recelled by a reputable person (mine cost £300) & purchase a 'dongle' card from Albert van Dalen on Tindie using 'https://www.tindie.com/search/?q=Yamaha+dongle'.Mine was €79 but I think there's been a recent price rise.

You have to do your own cable connections to the battery connectors & controller.
If the small dongle card (not waterproof) doesn't fit inside your controller casing then you will have to provide some small cheap waterproof casing(s) say strapped to bike frame.
If you want a detailed description go to
'avdweb.nl/popular/maxun-e-kit/battery-hack'. Be prepared for some 'dutch' translation quirks rest assured you do not need to take advantage of all the card's features & you can carry on charging your recelled battery independently if you want.
What a find.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a 10yr old Gepida Berig ebike.
I needed a new battery. Gepida wanted £900 for a new one. The bike battery & electronic controllers are configured to ONLY work with the Yamaha battery.
Apparently this is contrary to European competition law.
Solution: get the battery recelled by a reputable person (mine cost £300) & purchase a 'dongle' card from Albert van Dalen on Tindie using 'https://www.tindie.com/search/?q=Yamaha+dongle'.Mine was €79 but I think there's been a recent price rise.

You have to do your own cable connections to the battery connectors & controller.
If the small dongle card (not waterproof) doesn't fit inside your controller casing then you will have to provide some small cheap waterproof casing(s) say strapped to bike frame.
If you want a detailed description go to
'avdweb.nl/popular/maxun-e-kit/battery-hack'. Be prepared for some 'dutch' translation quirks rest assured you do not need to take advantage of all the card's features & you can carry on charging your recelled battery independently if you want.
What a find.
I thought the dongle allowed you to use any battery. Could you use a standard battery rather than get a re-cell?