Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0382.JPG
DSC_0257.JPG
star ship and rat dog ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lovely. :)

Flecc, you had me thinking a few weeks ago about this shot of a colony of bees that I came across whilst out on the bike on the South Downs.
They have been in the same spot for two years, and last summer I thought that they had gone, when in fact the land owner had moved a gate and fence that was positioned by the nest, further away from them. :)

They're Honey Bees, Apis mellifera Eddie, drones and workers in the photo. Surplus queens ejected from hives often set up feral colonies in the countryside, in tree holes or anywhere else suitable. These sort of colonies can be from 100 individuals upwards.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Phil Millership

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 1, 2017
West Midlands
Hi Guys, Forgive me for hijacking this thread which as a professional photographer is refreshing and I have to say some cracking images on show. :) My message is primarily for flecc but any advice welcomed. Just joined the forum so haven't learned how to pm yet! I'm looking to go pedelec soon after my 250cc scooter was stolen recently. The thought of no road tax etc is quite appealing plus I can wear out my greyhound by getting him to chase after me. I'm almost 65 so more exercise with a little help up hills wouldn't go amiss. I want a recumbent or similar and have seen the now discontinued Giant Semi Recumbents on ebay at the moment. One is electric with issues, no battery/charger and a pedal fault. I don't care what they look like, in fact quite like the quirky futuristic look. Any advice welcomed… battery availability, spares etc or any gremlins to look out for. Many thanks. regards, Phil

Attachments

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Welcome Phil, and certainly no need to feel that you have highjacked anything. It is a bike forum before anything else. :)

SW, that is any street cred that you had gone well and truly out of the window. :p

While I think about it, other than not taking photos into the sun, what is the best way of preventing the spots/flare, such as in this photo?

]

Reactions: Paul smith

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
SW, that is any street cred that you had gone well and truly out of the window. :p
there evil lil mofos rat will attack anyone that comes in our gate esp pat charges at him like a cruse missile.

cover pat will not even deliver post anymore as he bit his legs pmsl.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I want a recumbent or similar and have seen the now discontinued Giant Semi Recumbents on ebay at the moment. One is electric with issues, no battery/charger and a pedal fault. I don't care what they look like, in fact quite like the quirky futuristic look. Any advice welcomed… battery availability, spares etc or any gremlins to look out for. Many thanks. regards, Phil
Hi Phil, welcome to the forum. The Electric version is called the Giant Revive, long discontinued now. Its motor unit was a variant of the Panasonic crank drive motor, last made in late 2005.

I quite liked the design but it didn't catch on with the public, dealers ending up selling them around half price or less.

Now though it's all bad news. The motor unit was designed for life, repair only by replacement and mostly unrepairable with no spares ever made available. The internal controller circuit board is fully encapsulated and sealed into the crankcase so no possibility of fault tracing. The batteries are also long discontinued, but you could use any other 24 to 26 volt battery

If one has any electrical issues or pedelec issues, do not touch as it will effectively only be scrap. One that was working perfectly might be worth buying a new battery for.

The non-electric version perfectly ok of course, and you could add a hub motor kit to one of those if the forks are wide enough to take one, at least 75 mm across internally at the spindle and preferably nearer 100mm.

I don't know of any other e-recumbents in this country, they are mostly created by owners adding motor kits to recumbents. Member D8ve has a conversion for example shown on this link.

Phil Millership

Feb 1, 2017
West Midlands
Thank you so much for the hearty welcome. Eddie… at the risk of sounding blunt… and it's not meant to be… just factual. What you have experienced is lens flare and is essentially a product of shooting into the sun. So the definitive solution is don't :). BUT… as it's also a product of light bouncing about (technical term) inside and between the glass within the lens, some camera lenses cope better than others. I don't know what camera lens you shot that image with but I can see that it's a wide one. It displays barrel distortion seen by the furrows bending in the foreground which you will see on wide angle lenses to a varying degree depending on the lens. "Wide" angle lenses tend to suffer from lens flare more than most. The distortion can be used to artistic advantage although strictly speaking it's an optical flaw. Likewise… lens flare that angles across an image can also look quite cool. Difficult to remove by the way so if you don't like the flare try to avoid it when you take the shot. I'll put some more tips on another message as this one is full!

• Informative

Phil Millership

Feb 1, 2017
West Midlands
Lens Flare Continued!!!! Another way to reduce lens flare is to use your hand to block the light from one corner for example. Effectively adding to any lens hood effect if you have one. You will usually be able to see the flare before you press the button and also whether your hand is intruding into the image. Harder if you are shooting with mobile phone but easier if you use a tripod with a more traditional camera. Attached is a mobile phone shot taken into the sunset with "Artistic" lens flare plus a little "Free" image enhancement. Have a look at NIK software… it's free and has some cool effects. If you need any help just shout. Always happy to advise.

Attachments

Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They're Honey Bees, Apis mellifera Eddie, drones and workers in the photo. Surplus queens ejected from hives often set up feral colonies in the countryside, in tree holes or anywhere else suitable. These sort of colonies can be from 100 individuals upwards.
Correct about them being AM though there are several different types of AM depending from which part of Europe they or the Queen came from but more then likely are a hybrid/ mongrel bee. Colony size is unlikely to be less then 4/5K as they need to keep a minimal temp in the cluster to survive, they do not hibernate and will be active all year round if temps are above 8oC.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Phil Millership

Feb 1, 2017
West Midlands
Hi Phil, welcome to the forum. The Electric version is called the Giant Revive, long discontinued now. Its motor unit was a variant of the Panasonic crank drive motor, last made in late 2005.

I quite liked the design but it didn't catch on with the public, dealers ending up selling them around half price or less.

Now though it's all bad news. The motor unit was designed for life, repair only by replacement and mostly unrepairable with no spares ever made available. The internal controller circuit board is fully encapsulated and sealed into the crankcase so no possibility of fault tracing. The batteries are also long discontinued, but you could use any other 24 to 26 volt battery

If one has any electrical issues or pedelec issues, do not touch as it will effectively only be scrap. One that was working perfectly might be worth buying a new battery for.

The non-electric version perfectly ok of course, and you could add a hub motor kit to one of those if the forks are wide enough to take one, at least 75 mm across internally at the spindle and preferably nearer 100mm.

I don't know of any other e-recumbents in this country, they are mostly created by owners adding motor kits to recumbents. Member D8ve has a conversion for example shown on this link.
Thanks flecc for the welcome and the super fast replies. A little concerned now about investing!!! in the electric Revive but the standard pushbike with a front electric hub might be nice. The standard bike on ebay is miles from me so I think I'll keep looking just in case one pops up a little nearer home although I might have a long wait. I'll have aloof at D8ve's bike again thank you for the pointers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lovely.

Flecc, you had me thinking a few weeks ago about this shot of a colony of bees that I came across whilst out on the bike on the South Downs.
They have been in the same spot for two years, and last summer I thought that they had gone, when in fact the land owner had moved a gate and fence that was positioned by the nest, further away from them. :)

I haven't got over to see them Eddie but it seems like they are still alive though in what state they are in is another issue. Being a feral bee now they may be carrying a very high virus load due to the Varroa mite that they host and eventually the colony may well collapse and die out.
In general only 1 in 10 swarms servive in the wild now as habitat/forage as well as disease takes its toll. In late spring early summer that colony could well be in excess of 20/25K
of bees.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
there evil lil mofos rat will attack anyone that comes in our gate esp pat charges at him like a cruse missile.

cover pat will not even deliver post anymore as he bit his legs pmsl.
SW.. you do have a way with words. You are like a reverse spell check app and can cuss in such a way that I don't notice the bad words until I read it for the second time.
I was thinking who the hell is Pat? A neibor perhaps... and then the penny dropped..[emoji102] [emoji102]

• :D
Reactions: flecc and soundwave

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Great moon shot Eddie but love the one in #10.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers