Camping Chair

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I have been thinking recently and come to a conclusion that my life would be so much better if I was able to take a camping chair on my cycling trips.

I travel very often with my kids and it means we stop in random places and I have to spend hours sitting on rocks, logs, grass, benches in full sun etc etc. It would be so nice to have a camping chair, sit in a shade, read a book and wait for kids.

So... do you take camping chairs with you? Any recommendations?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I recommend you stay away from this, because you'll end up with a bad lower back problem. It's absolutely awful. You may experience back pain just looking at it. I do. It's only good feature is the beer can holder.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Not the same as a chair, but the simple folding seat cushion is really light and compact and makes a big difference (especially in keeping your bum dry).
I used to take somthing very similar out when walking in the hills, agreed, well worth the few grams.

But I also cheated a bit, I cut up the ground sleeping mat you would normally take camping, into 3 pieces, joined it with gaffa tape and used it (folded) as a liner for the back of my rucsac. I could then easily take it out to sit on, or unfold and sleep on it.

Reactions: kangooroo

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Try one of these Ultralight chairs, small when packed, 35cm long x 10cm diameter, 1.2Kg. Very comfortable. Not as easy to assemble as a standard folding camping chair, but then they weigh a ton and are huge packed.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I bought a Trekology fold up chair when it was on special offer last year.
It is surprisingly strong, easy to use, and doesn't take up a great deal of room, but if I were to be in the market again for one, I would look at the OEX version, as it better at spreading the load to the ground. I generally have to use the lids of jars, to stop the feet from sinking.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
but if I were to be in the market again for one, I would look at the OEX version, as it better at spreading the load to the ground.
Indeed, the nylon mat bottom of the OEX, is a key factor in stopping the legs dissapear into soft ground.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Thanks guys for suggestions. I think this is what I am looking for:

However 50cm when folded is a challenge as it is bigger than my panniers. I might need to compromise and buy something smaller.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
This is the one I use it is very light and compact fits easily in a pannier. I have had it for 18 months and no problems. Link

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Thanks guys for suggestions. I think this is what I am looking for:

However 50cm when folded is a challenge as it is bigger than my panniers. I might need to compromise and buy something smaller.
The low back ones mentioned earlier are very comfortable and have a much smaller pack size.

I also use castor cups for soft ground - £2.49 for 4.

Reactions: EddiePJ

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Oxford Products are usually very good quality, but I can't personally vouch for this specific item:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Oxford Products are usually very good quality, but I can't personally vouch for this specific item:
The significant problem with chairs like that is that they cannot cope with soft ground, the legs are only suited to firm ground.

One easy low cost solution to this would be plastic plates maybe 15cm diameter which you could put on the legs to stop them sinking.

The mat under the legs on the OEX one in post #5, might look a bit odd, but it helps on soft ground.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The significant problem with chairs like that is that they cannot cope with soft ground, the legs are only suited to firm ground.
It's the same with my bike's kickstand... ever so slowly tips over.... :rolleyes:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020

One easy low cost solution to this would be plastic plates maybe 15cm diameter which you could put on the legs to stop them sinking.
It's a well-known problem in the motorcycle world. Here's the solution * 4:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a well-known problem in the motorcycle world. Here's the solution * 4:
4" x 3 1/2"

I like it, but that's too big to adhere permanently using superglue+baking soda to the end of my bike's kickstand, would catch on something when folded in, prevent a flush fold... I'll probably cut a bit of thin plastic chopping board (or something) to size and shape instead. The same could be done for camping chair legs.

Last edited: