Can anyone help me on what bike to buy....

billbobadger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 29, 2015
I would really value some advice.

Firstly on what size bike i should be looking at, i went to my local Kalkhoff supplier and was told that as long as my feet reach the pedals then it does not matter about the size. I Have a short inside leg of only 29" and when sitting on the bike that he suggested i felt really at unease as i could only stand up with the bike lent slightly to one side and only then with one foot. Is this really correct?

Secondly i would really value some help on what bike to buy. I have a budget of up to £3000. I want something with a good range over 80 miles. A bike that i can ride on the road and off road but nothing to wild and something not massively heavy as i have to lift it down and up 5 steps. The Kalkhoff that was recommended was the Tasman 8 but i like most of the Kalkhoff range, the Jarifa impulse and I quite like the look of the KTM Macina range. The Haibike looks good and so does the Moustache.

So guess as you can see i am so confused please help me.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would really value some advice.

Firstly on what size bike i should be looking at, i went to my local Kalkhoff supplier and was told that as long as my feet reach the pedals then it does not matter about the size. I Have a short inside leg of only 29" and when sitting on the bike that he suggested i felt really at unease as i could only stand up with the bike lent slightly to one side and only then with one foot. Is this really correct?
Dealing just with the size issue, yes, that is correct that it's primarily the pedal reach that's important, riding with legs too bent is ineffective and inefficient. I have the same inside leg measurement and can only touch down with a toe area at a standstill, the foot angled down to do that.

I find a frame of 49 cm size best but can ride some 45 cm ones ok, a 53 cm is definitely too big for my 29" inside leg. The Kalkhoffs are made in those three common sizes.

I'll leave the bike choices to those with wider experience of the mentioned ones, of those I've only ridden the excellent Kalkhoffs.

Last edited:

billbobadger

Jan 29, 2015
Dealing just with the size issue, yes, that is correct that it's primarily the pedal reach that's important, riding with legs too bent is ineffective and inefficient. I have the same inside leg measurement and can only touch down with a toe area at a standstill, the foot angled down to do that.

I find a frame of 49 cm size best but can ride some 45 cm ones ok, a 53 cm is definitely too big for my 29" inside leg. The Kalkhoffs are made in those three common sizes.
Thank you i will look for something in a 49cm frame, you have been a big help, its a bit of a mine field and i dont want to get wrong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another point I should have mentioned is sprung seatposts, When those are fitted as they commonly are, they add a bit of height and affect the size choice. Since the amount they add varies, always check the personal fit even when you know the acceptable frame size range.

D

Deleted member 4366

When you're sitting on the saddle pedalling, your leg should nearly straighten at the bottom of the stroke. The road us a few inches below the pedal, so your foot shouldn't reach it if you're still sitting. Normally, you can just reach with one toe. You have to slip off the saddle when you stop, but then you should be able to put both feet flat on the ground to avoid embarassement.

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
I have a 45cm haibike sduro SL hardtail and 30" Inseem and had to cut over an inch off my seat post.
Try them all for size as in my opinion the frames sizes quoted by the manufacturers vary in difference.

Delighted with the haibike

billbobadger

Jan 29, 2015
Another point I should have mentioned is sprung seatposts, When those are fitted as they commonly are, they add a bit of height and affect the size choice. Since the amount they add varies, always check the personal fit even when you know the acceptable frame size range.
Thank you i will remember that.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A range of 80+ miles is not going to be easy with one battery.

Some of the Kalkhoffs have 17ah batteries, which might scrape 80 miles with a lot of pedalling from you.

All the Bosch motored bikes have 11ah batteries, so you would need a spare, which adds about £500 to the bill.

The Bosch higher torque performance motor seems to suck more power than the standard, so it might be better to go for the lower powered one.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Welcome,BBB. My advice is: Take your time, read up as much as you can, and try out as many bikes as you can find. There is a lot of information to be absorbed before you can make a wise choice to suit you.

Last edited:
Reactions: billbobadger

billbobadger

Jan 29, 2015
can i ask what haibike you have.?
thanks

Some of the Kalkhoffs have 17ah batteries, which might scrape 80 miles with a lot of pedalling from you.

All the Bosch motored bikes have 11ah batteries, so you would need a spare, which adds about £500 to the bill.

The Bosch higher torque performance motor seems to suck more power than the standard, so it might be better to go for the lower powered one.

Thanks maybe i need to settle for a bit less milage.

billbobadger

Jan 29, 2015
Welcome,BBB. My advice is: Take your time, read up as muchas you can, and try out as manybikes as you can find. Thereis a lot of information to be absorbed before you can makea wise choice to suit you.
I cant quite belive how much choice there is, its mind blowing!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can do an eliminator to narrow things down. Have a look online at all you think might be ok and examine their specifications. Doing that you'll find things that don't suit or you don't like on many of them, enabling you to strike those off. You can even include style and looks in that, since being happy with what you buy is also important, especially when spending up to £3000.

Any features you aren't sure about, just ask on this thread and we'll help.

billbobadger

Jan 29, 2015
You can do an eliminator to narrow things down. Have a look online at all you think might be ok and examine their specifications. Doing that you'll find things that don't suit or you don't like on many of them, enabling you to strike those off. You can even include style and looks in that, since being happy with what you buy is also important, especially when spending up to £3000.

Any features you aren't sure about, just ask on this thread and we'll help.
I will write myself a list, get the specsband hopfuly narrow it down a bit. Thankyou

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Agree with bike sizing as already mentioned doesn't matter if bike is powered or unpowered. Leg should be almost straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke, I also am on tippy toes when at rest. If a cross bar bike you should be able to straddle it with both feed on the ground when not in the saddle.

billbobadger

Jan 29, 2015
Agree with bike sizing as already mentioned doesn't matter if bike is powered or unpowered. Leg should be almost straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke, I also am on tippy toes when at rest. If a cross bar bike you should be able to straddle it with both feed on the ground when not in the saddle.
thank you

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
thanks

Thanks maybe i need to settle for a bit less milage.
If you live on flattish ground I think 80 miles is possible with the 17ah Kalkhoff battery. When conditioning I run mine to system shut down in 48 miles at the maximum setting, and going as fast as I can. I have the 2013 Impulse 1 with the Sport software upgrade and that's over very hilly terrain. So in a lower assist mode and not going so fast on flatter ground it's possible.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi,the choice is big but some choices easily deleted,my advice is-
Do you want a mountain style bike or a ride to work commuter style bike?
Do you want a diamond frame or step thru'?
Are you prepared to spend over £900?
Are you prepared to spend over £1500.
Do you want a bike that can be restricted to 15,5 mph or are you happy to be illegal above this?
Do you want a local seller or buy off the internet?
If you answer those questions honestly to yourself you will focus on a particular style/type of bike. Having said the foregoing this is just the start,within those decisions,you still have to decide on motor position,gear type,brakes type but at least you can advise the dealer what are your thoughts,he should recommend some bikes but ultimately it will be what you feel comfortable with....you need to find a local dealer that has a lot of choice to end up with the right bike.
Good luck,KudosDave

Reactions: trex

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Regarding seat height. Do you really need a suspension seat post? If most of your journeys are on tarmac, a s traditional sprung seat will serve you OK. Another thing is, if you haven`t done a lot of biking lately, perhaps start with your seat set on the low side until you build confidence. Consider a drop seat post. These allow you to basically adjust seat height on the move, and allow you to lower the seat for dismounting.