Can i confirm something?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I would just like to confirm some facts before i get a bit too carried away and try something that might not work.
At the moment my bike has:

24v motor
24v controller max output 14A
Wuxing throttle and brake cutout levers
24v 9AH Li-ion battery

Now the maximum amps that the controller can supply seems low, so i'm thinking of upgrading to a better spec one.
I'm assuming if the controller can supply more amps, that the motor can draw more power on hills. The only downside being less range.

** Please can someone correct me if my facts are wrong **

If this is a possible worthwhile upgrade, then i don't think it would be difficult.
The Wuxing components should have the correct connectors on the end.
The motor and the pedelec can be worked around if they don't have the correct connections.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Do you know what power is being drawn from your battery at the moment?
It might be a good idea to buy a turnigy power analyser. This will give you some idea to peak current, volt drop, watthours. You may be surprised with the info it will supply you with. They cost around £25 on ebay.
My controller is rated at 12A yet i never normally need to draw that much from my batteries. But i have, on occasions seen 18A peak current displayed when testing.
My guess is your controller is probably supplying peak current at way more than it rated at.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I would just like to confirm some facts before i get a bit too carried away and try something that might not work.
At the moment my bike has:

24v motor
24v controller max output 14A
Wuxing throttle and brake cutout levers
24v 9AH Li-ion battery

Now the maximum amps that the controller can supply seems low, so i'm thinking of upgrading to a better spec one.
I'm assuming if the controller can supply more amps, that the motor can draw more power on hills. The only downside being less range.

** Please can someone correct me if my facts are wrong **

If this is a possible worthwhile upgrade, then i don't think it would be difficult.
The Wuxing components should have the correct connectors on the end.
The motor and the pedelec can be worked around if they don't have the correct connections.
The maximum power (V^2/R) delivered by the motor is fixed by its operating voltage and internal impedance (Ohm's Law) varying marginally with temperature. If your existing controller is able to supply the current to the motor without fault, upgrading the controller would not provide the advantage you are seeking because your 24 Volt motor will still only draw the the maximum current that it currently does.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I too would recommend a turnigy power analyser. You can then see exactly what you max current draw is.

This link shows you mine

My Tongxin draws around 6-8 amps normally when not on steep hills, but like mkc1 said my Turnigy also recorded a peak current of around 16-18 amps, which was probably for a very short period as it did not register on the screen as I was riding.

I also have a 15amp fuse in the circuit which has not blown.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I had already considered getting the Turnigy unit.
Do they connect between battery and controller or controller and motor?

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
My personal choice for data logger was the Raczing Wilog. I liked that it used my mobile phone for displaying all the data as I already had that attached to the handlebars on my bike. It meant I could get the wilog installed very neatly next to the battery and still see how much current I was pulling as I was riding along.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4821-watts-up-vs-turnigy-power-meter-analyser-2.html?highlight=raczing#post62559

All the graphs I post on this forum are thanks to that widget... I wrote some scripts in python for processing the .log files it saves off into csv for importing into spreadsheets.