Can I just cut this stem with a good hacksaw

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
The stanchions on my suntour forks on my Crossfuse have rusted and when I pump them rusty fluid comes up past the seals. I have found some apparently identical ones at half price (£45) but the stem is deliberately supplied overly long for cutting down to suit the bike. Do I need a special machine for this or can I do it with a saw. Any tips would be very welcome?
Thanks
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I might as well replace any bearings in there at the same time - are they standard or will I need to strip the old one first and get the dimensions?
Mike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They're standard, but there are several standard types with weird names, like integrated, semi-integrated or external, and your steerer tube can be threaded or threadless. I would guess that your steerer is not threaded, as you're cutting it.
threadless headsets are also called Ahead. Finally, is the diameter of the steerer dube that can be tapered (different dia at each end) or straight. straight can be 1 1/8" or 1".

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I got some last year for about £25 from the shop below, they sell surplus stock cheap so their stock often changes, shame I can't see anything cheap but is worth checkling regularly https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bankrupt+bike+parts+forks&i=sports&rh=n:550017011,n:458362031&s=price-asc-rank&dc&qid=1616600802&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank
Yes - that's where I have ordered the forks from here- They have a 1 1/8 stem (that's what the Halfords site says for the Crossfuse too), so if you can point me to the correct bearings, VFR400, I'd much appreciate it. (I had a VFR1000F many years ago, always fancied the 400)
Mike

Biffales

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2021
I used a steel pipecutter to shorten the stem on a pair of forks I had. I thought I had more chance of keepping the cut neat neat and at 90 degrees. It worked well!

• Agree
Reactions: MikeS and Gringo

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I find it helps to mark a line on the stem so you end up with a straight cut, use a spacer or the handlebar stem and draw around with a marker.

Sounds familiar - I've had a couple of VFR400s (NC21 & NC24) as winter rebuild projects but never put them on the road, used an early VFR750 (with carbs) for many years - I still rate it as one of the best all round bikes I've had.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes - that's where I have ordered the forks from here- They have a 1 1/8 stem (that's what the Halfords site says for the Crossfuse too), so if you can point me to the correct bearings, VFR400, I'd much appreciate it. (I had a VFR1000F many years ago, always fancied the 400)
Mike
If you have the same type of steerer, you can use your old headset. depending on what type you have, you might have to remove the inner race from the bottom of your old steerer tube. It should have a slot where you can hammer in a screwdriver to unwedge it. The very bottom of the steerer tube where it sits is a slightly larger diameter to wedge it in place. It's impossible to help more specifically without knowing what you have.

rwm1962

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2021
Pipecutter is a good middle ground between the proper saw guide tool & just a hacksaw. Bearings vary widely so would need to be checked. Even bearings for the same make/model can change over time. Could be cartridge or caged bearing. If the latter, given the state of the forks it'd be worth checking the cups as they may also be worn.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Yeah I've got them soaking in paraffin and will take a close look at them in the morning. Also had to buy a star nut, and need to make a tool to get it down the throat of the new stem. Watched a video where a guy used a plastic pipe to seat that inner race on the bottom of the stem. I have some of the right diameter pipe but probably need to chamfer one end so that it will drive it home properly.
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
In the end I didn't cut the 300mm tube that came with the forks as I realised I would then have to again use the extender I had previously fitted - Derrrr
So everything went back together very well and I thought I would set the pre load as me being over 13 stone it would probably need racking down a bit. But even with it backed completely out (anticlockwise) the most I can get with me on the bike is 15mm which is too little if the forks really do have a travel of 63mm. So I wondered if these forks I have bought (new) off ebay are fitted with stronger springs. I did a search on Google and can't find any evidence that Suntour do supply their NEX forks with different spring rates, nor any mention of where on the fork it might say so if they do.
Anyone got any info or thoughts on this?
Thanks
Mike