Can I safely fit and run 24 volt motor on a 36 volt system

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I don't think the boss should be visible I think that should be inside and part the motor end plate. The boss looks like aluminium you can see the difference in colour from the shaft in the background plus the jagged edge visible in the RH photo gives the indication that the free wheel thread has sheared from the the end plate,

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Many thanks flecc and john for your further comments and suggestions. The shiny boss is definitely part of the motor/motor spindle as there is nothing like that attached to the back of the replacment block. It does also appear to have some small notches in its outer surface which could engage with an indentation in the motor casing, if it were possible to push the whole axle assembly about 5mm to the right, ie back into the motor casing, thus closing the gap. However the axle will not move either in or out.

If that is the case I think I will regard this motor hub as irreparable, but I will look out in due course for a suitable block removal tool as it will not be possible to examine the side of the motor casing properly with a block in place. Alternatively I may decide to use the bike for spares (lights, pedals etc). As we have three other electric bicycles and only three members of the family cycling now this old Mistral is somewhat redundant quite apart from the hub/block problem.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Having received help from the forum regarding a possible repair for this now defunct Mistral, I owe an update, which is unfortunately to the effect that I have decided to scrap the bike and donate the frame to our local Bike Station. flecc was correct in his forecast that even with the correct tool it would be impossible to remove the block from the hub wheel.

The good news is that a good replacement battery and 26 inch Shimano dynahub wheel awaits Mistral and other owners in the Classified forum.