Can I tweak this motor to get a bit more out of it?

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
My bike has a Bafang 8fun motor and this is the controller:

I can change the current and voltage settings but not sure if these are what's needed. The bike is hitting 15mph at the moment but I would prefer to set it at 17mph which I understand is still within the legal allowance. Anyone know how to tweak these controllers?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's a lcd not a controller, I guess the tweeking of the settings is getting the most out of your controller, so another controller may give a bit more. My bpm with 20a Lishui controller cuts off at 17.8mph on throttle/pas but is good up to 21 with a little more input. Are you able to change any speed settings with that lcd and also depends on the motor winding (rpm), but the issue is probably software set. My cst is good for 24.5mph and gsm and bbs can top the 20's and above.

Last edited:

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Got the terminology a bit wrong. My question is actually can I tweak this LCD to up the speed by a couple of MPH. I figure the motor can do it but I can't find a way to tweak it through the LCD and was wondering if anyone familiar with these LCDs knows of a way.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
The Woosh one does have a setting for Max speed Limit but in my manual that setting number 7 is 'voltage setting' and says do not change.

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
Most LCD menus can be accessed to give you more speed, However how you do that is not standard to all. Try holding down your menu button if you have one or try a combination of all. You should see a sub menu that allows you to change the wheel size, by setting it to the biggest you will get more speed. Your Bafang is capable of doing 24mph. If you tell us what bike and model you have someone may know how to access it.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Thanks for the info. The bike is a Storm which is the pretty much the same as a Joule Micro Prism.

I can access a sub menu with a press on the power button. the options are:
1: Set outside tyre diameter to nearest inch
2:Number of speed sensors
3:Screen Brightness
4:Units (Km or Mile)
5:Current settings. DO NOT CHANGE
6:Battery voltage 24V or 36V
7:Voltage settings DO NOT CHANGE
8:Hall speed detection 0 controller 1 LCD

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
The controller doesn't set a speed limit, it sets a limit on wheel revolutions per minute. If you cheat by telling it that the wheel diameter is less than it really is, the max speed will increase.