can you get adaptors for different chargers?

Mikes1992

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2014
Due to a shipping mistake I have two chargers one with an RCA connection that fits my battery and the other has a standard DC power connector which doesn't fit

I wanted an adaptor for the charger with standard DC because it's a better quality charger, it has a built in fan and has the same output voltage. the cheap charger with the RCA connector overheats (the plastic casing feels like it gets to about 70-80c) when its charging the battery and I've had to clamp a heatsink to the casing because it was getting so hot

I could always make my own adaptor because I do have a standard DC port that I'm currently using for a solar panel... although It would need to be able to handle 2 amps at 54v.

Thanks anyway guys! :

Mikes1992

Sep 29, 2014

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Mike,

If you are lucky the case of your new charger will readily accept the moulded strain relief shown on the end of the replacement cable then it should be a simple job of changing over the 2 wires which could involve desoldering/soldering.

A word of warning though, if you don't have any knowledge of the workings of electronics then I would always advise to seek assistance from a qualified electrician when dealing with mains powered equipment .

Even though not connected there could still be considerable electrical charge stored in the capacitors on the internal printed circuit board.

If you proceed with the change please could you document it here as I do not think it has been posted before.

Reactions: Mikes1992

Mikes1992

Sep 29, 2014
I might just make an adaptor my self, I have a DC port and a standard audio RCA jack fits the charging port just fine... I used a calculator and for a 20cm peice of wire (that was the as low the calculator length would go, the actual length of the wire will only be about 5cm) and it says it only needs to be rated at 26 awg for 54v@2amps.

I have all the parts/tools I need so I might as well try

Edit - I appears that audio cables aren't so simple to just cut and seperate the wires, it's like a cable within a cable.

Last edited:

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Edit - I appears that audio cables aren't so simple to just cut and seperate the wires said:
Quite likely you will have a braided sheath, which screens the audio signal cable inside from stray electrical interference, and also provides electrical continuity to "earth" for the connected components. The braid will be connected to the circular part of the RCA plug, and the inner core will be connected to the pin of the plug

Reactions: Mikes1992

Mikes1992

Sep 29, 2014

I'm not sure i'm happy with how thin the wire is but it wasn't getting hot while I was testing... although the battery is at 52v so it's probably not charging at 2 amps. I'll have to keep checking for heat when I next charge the battery when it's low

Mikes1992

Sep 29, 2014
yes you was right... I checked the continuity with a multimeter before I read your comment but If I didn't have a meter there would be no way to know! :D

Thank you. :)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Mike,

You need to be careful when using the green phono plug you have used and make sure it is plugged into the battery first, make the interconnection between the charger and the battery with the dc plug/socket, as I suspect the phono plug has the longer middle pin and an exposed outer sleeve which leaves it vulnerable to shorting.

Mikes1992

Sep 29, 2014
Hi Mike,

You need to be careful when using the green phono plug you have used and make sure it is plugged into the battery first, make the interconnection between the charger and the battery with the dc plug/socket, as I suspect the phono plug has the longer middle pin and an exposed outer sleeve which leaves it vulnerable to shorting.
I've charged the battery twice now it seems fine. I've covered all the wires/connections with electrical tape and made sure there's allot of clearence and isolation between the wires incase a solder joint fails.

Also, If I plug the charger into the socket before the charger is powered up it sparks... I'm assuming the charger has a smoothing capacitor or something that puts a high initial load on the battery as it draws a charge so it seems better to power the charger before plugging it in because then there's only a voltage difference of 4-10v (depending on how low the battery is discharged)

I will be careful that I don't touch anything metal with the connector that shorts it out... I see what you mean though about having a live pin that sticks out next to the negative ring

Mikes1992

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks allot for your help anyway guys!

I only just started using my ebike... do you know how to work out your range? I just did a 27 mile ride today (measured using GPS) and I only used 1/4 bars (on the LCD display) and my battery is measuring 50.4v and it started at 54.6v. I can't imagine it'll get a 100 mile range. It's not important though... I just wanted to know.

Also, do you pick a best answer on these threads? maybe I screwed it up and opened this in the wrong format? hehe