Canal Towpaths open to cyclists

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
When I planned my route the other day, I was lucky enough to come across the following page. It's a pdf file of 'Towpaths open to cyclists. Hope it's of use to some of you.

Out of interest, the 2 bits I cycled yesterday were:
Llangollen Canal - Ellesmere to Platt Lane
Llangollen Canal - Tilstock Park to Wrenbury
I had planned to do a bit more but my bum wouldn't let me...

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/22222.pdf

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Useful stuff but its may not be fully up to date.

British Waterways no longer exists and was replaced by the canals and rivers trust.

Worth taking a look here Cycling

One thing definitely wrong is that you don't need to have a British Waterways cycling permit anymore (or any permit for that matter).

Canal Towpaths are a great place to cycle but unless you want to end up in the cut dont try and go hell for leather and especially under bridges.

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Yes, I was surprised to find that permits are no longer required. One rule that seems to be totally ignored, is that dogs should be on a lead. I've had a few close shaves with dogs chasing after me down the towpath. Oh and another danger I have come across whilst cycling on the towpath is angry geese coming chasing towards me. I guess one of these days I'll end up in the canal...........only problem is I cannot swim!!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yes, I was surprised to find that permits are no longer required. One rule that seems to be totally ignored, is that dogs should be on a lead. I've had a few close shaves with dogs chasing after me down the towpath. Oh and another danger I have come across whilst cycling on the towpath is angry geese coming chasing towards me. I guess one of these days I'll end up in the canal...........only problem is I cannot swim!!

Angry geese ? wow thats a new one, seems like there is no end to canal path dangers !

Worst so far though for me have been dogs and peoples 'stuff' outside their boats along with tethering ropes.
My fear too is falling in as I cant swim either, plus.....the bike !! :eek:

We have already had one forum member who fell in with his poor bike, but, for all the potential perils, for me there is nothing quite as interesting as canal path cycling.

Take care up there anniegirl

Lynda :)

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Most narrow canals are only about waist deep, I know I have the Tee shirt, but locks can be a lot deeper and I also have the Tee shirt for testing that! so if you are going to fall in pick the canal and not a lock.

Bob:)

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
"Angry geese ? wow thats a new one, seems like there is no end to canal path dangers"

They're not angry, they're just being playful. Never harmed a fly. Now shut up and let them peck your eyes out:rolleyes:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
"Angry geese ? wow thats a new one, seems like there is no end to canal path dangers"

They're not angry, they're just being playful. Never harmed a fly. Now shut up and let them peck your eyes out
Haha.....playful, yeh right, I have the greatest respect for angry geese and a scar to prove when I didnt, just havent ever come across them angry on a canal tow path......now if it had been swans I could understand it :rolleyes:

I have even more respect for angry swans :eek:

Mind you, I reckon I could outrun them ......whilst cycling that is :D

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Permit was a joke anyway. As far as im aware never enforced and the last time I needed a new one was just gave the permit to fill out and BW did not even take my details !!!!. in end think you could just print and fill out from web site (again with no information collected by BW).

Dogs on leads debatable as that is just something else to get in the way !!!.

As others have said most of canal system is pertty shallow and first course of action on falling in is to just stand up. My parents narrow boat has less that 2 ft draft and its not unusual for it to drag on bottom even in middle of canal. Only exception to this is Locks which you really should have no need to get close to and are by far the most dangerous places to fall in (especially if filling/emptying and have several tons of boat in them.).

Just remember on the canals there are to types of people . Those who have fell in and those who are going to :D. So if in doubt stop, dismount and walk.

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Most narrow canals are only about waist deep, I know I have the Tee shirt, but locks can be a lot deeper and I also have the Tee shirt for testing that! so if you are going to fall in pick the canal and not a lock.

Bob:)
Yep really dont want to fall in a lock as that is by far the most dangerous place and not just because of the depth of water. When out on parents canal boat that is where I am at my most careful.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
After over 15 years with narrow boats, it can happen (heavy rain storm just came up lock, move tiller to other side of boat before exiting lock, loss of grip to boots on decking (slow motion of base over apecks entering clear water to inspect the bottom of hull and propeller and steering gear, looked in good condition!!!) but it would have made life easier if they had put a ladder on the lock gates, a bu***r getting out with your waterproofs full of water.:rolleyes:

Bob

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Fishermen. 60' long rods acting as barricades. Worm at one end and a fool at the other. Bowl of maggots in-between. They really object yo you claiming right of passage. And they don't eat their catch. Strange people - even stranger than ebikers ...
;-)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Just as an aside, my best friend Elsie, from Kendal, has recently met the love of her life online and is, at this very moment, meandering the canals of Yorks/Lancs for 3 weeks wrapped in his arms at the ..... 'tiller' is it ?.....and learning how to work locks.....she is 5 feet nothing so its quite a learning curve lol

She says it is very romantic and she is loving it.....Ive told her to find one for me :cool:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Plenty of boats at various marinas...
Yes, but do any of them come complete with romantic unattached men ? :eek:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
After over 15 years with narrow boats, it can happen (heavy rain storm just came up lock, move tiller to other side of boat before exiting lock, loss of grip to boots on decking (slow motion of base over apecks entering clear water to inspect the bottom of hull and propeller and steering gear, looked in good condition!!!) but it would have made life easier if they had put a ladder on the lock gates, a bu***r getting out with your waterproofs full of water.:rolleyes:

Bob
At least you had a gate open and were coming out. I always hate it when going through a lock and kids are playing around. especially when gates are closed and filling or emptying. Locks are definately the most dangerous part of canals.

Mind you after after going through thousands of them I still enjoy the experience :D.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Just as an aside, my best friend Elsie, from Kendal, has recently met the love of her life online and is, at this very moment, meandering the canals of Yorks/Lancs for 3 weeks wrapped in his arms at the ..... 'tiller' is it ?.....and learning how to work locks.....she is 5 feet nothing so its quite a learning curve lol

She says it is very romantic and she is loving it.....Ive told her to find one for me :cool:

Wait till it p*ssing down and still need to get through 10 more locks before can stop and get into the dry :D

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Fishermen. 60' long rods acting as barricades. Worm at one end and a fool at the other. Bowl of maggots in-between. They really object yo you claiming right of passage. And they don't eat their catch. Strange people - even stranger than ebikers ...
;-)
They give you dirty looks on a boat as well. I just wait until they move out of your way (they always do) and then thank them once passed. In reality they all move out the way without any other complaint than a dirty look.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Wait till it p*ssing down and still need to get through 10 more locks before can stop and get into the dry :D
Yes I must admit GaRRy that I think the sun may be influencing her romantic view on it all .....but in any case its still really nice to imagine them sailing into the sunset in each others arms together with just the ripple of water and birdsong as background music.......romantic ? Moi ? lol ;)

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
;-)
As a Angler I would like to say that the sport contributes heavily through associations, clubs, and licences funding that maintains these waterways, and to the general ecology. Without this most popular of participant sport, our waterways would be in a very sad state.

ps, More people participate in this sport than any other.

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
As a Angler I would like to say that the sport contributes heavily through associations, clubs, and licences funding that maintains these waterways, and to the general ecology. Without this most popular of participant sport, our waterways would be in a very sad state.

ps, More people participate in this sport than any other.
Personally I have absolutely no problem with people fishing. As you say they contribute to the up keep of the canals. Its just the attitude of a small minority who seem to think they own the canals and that no one else should be using it. Not that the issue is exclusive to Anglers I can think of a few boaters that are just as bad.

Last edited: