Cannondale Adventure Neo 3

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I live in Inverness and hope to buy a bike something like the Cannondale in the near future. The stockists however only permit a 20 mins trip around the store area-which being in the Moray Firth is not ideal and nothing like enough opportunity to test out the bike!
Any ideas or suggestions please as to how best to check out a bike like this at least to some degree? (I should add due to health issues I cannot travel very far from Inverness in the car at the moment)

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Looking at the spec it appears to be a motor that peaks at 40Nm which is quite low for a mid-drive motor. It seems to be tuned more for reliability rather than performance. You need to bear in mind that 40Nm is at the crank and because mid-drive motors deliver their power through the chain there are some losses maybe 2-3Nm and then the gearing is 38T on the front chainring and 36T max cog on the rear so lets say 37Nm shared by 38 then multiplied by 36 so about 35Nm for hills. This is no better than hub motors in fact worse than many.

I would strongly recommend testing it on the steepest type of hills you plan to go up you may find the assistance level too low for you.

On the positive side the excessive drivetrain wear and poor reliability of mid-drive motors is reduced here because of the low power of the motor so if you are happy with the assistance level and you want mid-drive then it maybe a good option. Bear in mind though Bosch ebikes are highly proprietary, it can only use Bosch batteries which are very expensive and spares and servicing is all at premium pricing. The batteries left uncharged for many months may brick themselves and be unusable.

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Thanks very much indeed for info
I am c17 st and 6’ 1”
I imagine my trips will be limited to ordinary roads and open paths and moderate hills or inclines only -all for comfortable casual riding only on a hybrid
I will need to do some more research!
Regards
Ian

I would welcome

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I live in Inverness and hope to buy a bike something like the Cannondale in the near future. The stockists however only permit a 20 mins trip around the store area-which being in the Moray Firth is not ideal and nothing like enough opportunity to test out the bike!
Any ideas or suggestions please as to how best to check out a bike like this at least to some degree? (I should add due to health issues I cannot travel very far from Inverness in the car at the moment)
I would take up the offer of 20 minutes and staying local just to get a first taste. If you have not ridden a modern mid-drive bike before, then you are in for a lightbulb moment. You can always have more than one test ride, and it does not commit you to make, model or dealer.

You need to plan a time when the roads are not too busy, and a route that takes in the steepest hills in Inverness. They don't need to be long, just enough so that you exercise the gear changing, and try out the hills in each of the assistance levels.

Make sure you get a proper introduction to the gear shifting and the assistance level controls from the bike shop, so you get maximum value from your riding time.

Don't be put off the idea of a mid-drive, I'll say more on that in due course, but time to go to work for now.

The Cannondale website is USA, so don't believe it's claim of 20mph assistance speed . In the UK it will be set to 25kph / 15.5mph.

Reactions: ian Tweedie

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I have just bought a Haibike Trekking 6 Low Step to replace my Raleigh Motus Grand Tour. I have written a little report on it that you will find in the reviews section of this site which you might find of interest. Good luck with your hunt!

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I would take up the offer of 20 minutes and staying local just to get a first taste. If you have not ridden a modern mid-drive bike before, then you are in for a lightbulb moment. You can always have more than one test ride, and it does not commit you to make, model or dealer.

You need to plan a time when the roads are not too busy, and a route that takes in the steepest hills in Inverness. They don't need to be long, just enough so that you exercise the gear changing, and try out the hills in each of the assistance levels.

Make sure you get a proper introduction to the gear shifting and the assistance level controls from the bike shop, so you get maximum value from your riding time.

Don't be put off the idea of a mid-drive, I'll say more on that in due course, but time to go to work for now.

The Cannondale website is USA, so don't believe it's claim of 20mph assistance speed . In the UK it will be set to 25kph / 15.5mph.

Thanks very much for this.
The 20 mins is really far too short to get to any hills in this area (and back again!) but still worthwhile testing as you suggest
Regards
Ian

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks very much for this.
The 20 mins is really far too short to get to any hills in this area (and back again!) but still worthwhile testing as you suggest
Regards
Ian
There is a nice test hill fairly close, but not within 20 mins round trip of the city centre.

20220516_092653.jpg

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
A bit more on mid-drives...

'High drive train wear': for the use you describe, given basic maintenance of cleaning and oiling the chain, and replacing when it reaches the 'wear limit' with one of good quality, you can expect to need one or possibly two replacement chains per year, at a cost of £15 or so each. Cassettes will last considerably longer. UK legal pedelecs are not in the same ball park for this issue as monster motors putting several kW through the chain.

'Unreliable': buying new, you are covered for the warranty period, and worth checking how long that is. A quick Google suggests 3 years for Yamaha, only 2 for Bosch and Shimano. Out of warranty, yes, repairs are expensive because they tend to be replacement of entire motor / battery rather than mend. But how many fail? And of those, how many were thrashed to within an inch of their lives at every opportunity? If the failure rate was particularly high my feeling is we'd be hearing more about it. For a well looked after bike doing moderate mileage, and not subjected to pressure washing of the electrics!, chances are it'll go on for many years.

And the positives:

Really natural riding experience. It's you riding a bike with bionic legs, and you can turn up the bionic really quite high.

Helpful for fitness improvement and weight loss because you have to work to get the bike to go at all. Just not very hard, unless you want to. You can work as hard as you like, and then always have the comfort of knowing that just turning up the assistance gets you home with minimal effort when you've done enough for the day.

Great on hills, as long as the motor torque rating is high enough, and the gearing low enough. No limits really. For the gentle use you describe, the ActiveLine would do the job, but as @Poolepete describes in his review, a higher torque unit is yet another whole new world! You might want to future proof with either the Yamaha or the Bosch PerformanceLine. Hills just melt away with a suitable bike, don't let them constrain your outlook.

The other parameter I would look carefully at is battery size. Low end bikes are still being sold with 400Wh and 500Wh batteries, whereas higher end have 625Wh or 750Wh. A spare battery is an option to add range, but it may be cheaper to choose a bike with the larger battery to start with.

Edit: just for clarity, I mean mid-drive with torque sensor, which all major brands have, but not all conversions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolepete

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney