Can't get my leg over anymore

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Been riding my Volt Pulse (2017) bought two years ago second hand and it's been absolutely brilliant.

I'm 71 and due to hernia problems, hernia op in May and covid in July, have not been out as much as would have liked. Anyway, having difficulty getting my leg over the saddle so looking at a step through. The Volt Pulse step through looks ok or even the Burlington. Anyone got one they want to sell? or any other step through recomendation please?

Only ride on cycle paths - no real off road stuff. I'm 6 foot and 15 st

Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I was about to recommend Woosh Santana; but Woosh got in before me. As you'll see from other posts on the forum, Woosh have excellent customer service.

Much cheaper than the Volt. The smaller battery on the Santana has more capacity (540wh) than the larger on the Volt (504wh). The Volt does have hydraulic brakes.

Also look at Wisper, eg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Been riding my Volt Pulse (2017) bought two years ago second hand and it's been absolutely brilliant.

I'm 71 and due to hernia problems, hernia op in May and covid in July, have not been out as much as would have liked. Anyway, having difficulty getting my leg over the saddle so looking at a step through. The Volt Pulse step through looks ok or even the Burlington. Anyone got one they want to sell? or any other step through recomendation please?

Thanks
Do you know about dropper seat-posts that you can lower for getting on and off? You have to get one with the right tube size, though you can get a converter shim if your frame is 31.6mm and the dropper post is 30.9mm

Last edited:

DrBird

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2023
Texas

Thanks
I bought my wife a Vtuvia V-SF20 from Amazon last December. She’s only 5’ and loves the step thru. I’m 6’ and 76 years old, but swing my leg over. This is our second Vtuvia, but prefer this one because it has better calipers. It has five pedal assist settings. We mostly use the second setting and pedal along leisurely. The battery will last for several ten miles daily rides. It will run 30 mph for several miles with just the throttle assist. The standard headlight was adequate for night riding On both of them.

DrBird

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2023
Texas
I bought my wife a Vtuvia V-SF20 from Amazon last December. She’s only 5’ and loves the step thru. I’m 6’ and 76 years old, but swing my leg over. This is our second Vtuvia, but prefer this one because it has better calipers. It has five pedal assist settings. We mostly use the second setting and pedal along leisurely. The battery will last for several ten miles daily rides. It will run 28 mph for several miles with just the throttle assist. The standard headlight was adequate for night riding On both of them.

Attachments

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Do you know about dropper seat-posts that you can lower for getting on and off? You have to get one with the right tube size, though you can get a converter shim if your frame is 31.6mm and the dropper post is 30.9mm
Never knew anything about these - could save me a bundle of cash - many thanks for suggestion. I will look into it later today

Steve

ps and thanks for the other suggestions from members

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
At 6 foot you're probably going to be looking at 150mm of drop. And thanks to the usual modern bike thing drops come in a wide range so not being aware you might struggle as to which size to get.

As droppers are an offroad thing, it would be usual to get as large a drop fits on the bike- and there many opt for about 175mm or even 200mm, but because your need is just to get the leg over(oo-er) pretty much anything that brings it down is going to be a bonus.

Next problem is money. And yet again, the in thing and pretty much something you cant do without offroad is priced accordingly. Popular = expensive, but there are some cheaper options, plus given the bike industry is going through a transitional period currently with some even big big companies are cutting back to the point they're in administration.

So you need a drop thats going to help say 150mm, but as said pretty much anything it going to be a big help, and when you get to the lower drop lengths, its there we can see the bigger savings.

I recently bought a high end dropper for a new build, which retails at over £300, for less than half price. My needs are similar to yours, as in it makes getting on the bike way easier, but not for the same reasons, as in mine arent medical, but i find it a real plus point getting on what I use as a commuting/shopping type bike as fully loaded with shopping, leaning it to such an extent to get the leg over(oo-er) makes it a bit unbalanced.

** IMPORTANT
One important thing to take note of is some droppers are internally wired through the frame and some are externally routed onto the frame(zip ties etc. I strongly suggest you look only for externally routed posts as those are going to be the easiest to fit and thus considerably hassle

Raleigh bikes make one called the RSP Plummet which retails around about the 50 quid mark. Its certainly cheap, and maybe not as robust as other higher priced, but its a good starting point for you to get on with and comes with a remote lever which many of the very highly priced ones do not so deffo a bonus there.
Not sure if 'Plummet' is such an ideal name but there you go.

#This post has the externally cable routing option
Another brand which usually costs a bit less is one called 'Brand X' not the best name but it has a strong reputation amongst the MTB community as being of good quality, and so plenty I know use them. They aint no fox factory transfer or AXS, but they do the job and apparently so do it pretty well, and therefore should be an excellent choice for yourself.

Bit of a sale on in places and you should get a brand x in say 150mm drop for about 90 quid. This dropper comes with a rather nifty remote, but always check otherwise it can go anywhere from £25 to 50 or 60 quid to get one
#Brand x have an externally routed cable option on some of their posts to take note when ordering.

If you think you need longer, theres a 170mm brand X here for about £100

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
leaning the bike a little towards you will also lower things a few inches.. He says with a step through bike in his profile pic erhrmph!!

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Many small wheeled folding bikes are a low step over, but they don't all look as low as step throughs.

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
At 6 foot you're probably going to be looking at 150mm of drop. And thanks to the usual modern bike thing drops come in a wide range so not being aware you might struggle as to which size to get.

As droppers are an offroad thing, it would be usual to get as large a drop fits on the bike- and there many opt for about 175mm or even 200mm, but because your need is just to get the leg over(oo-er) pretty much anything that brings it down is going to be a bonus.

Next problem is money. And yet again, the in thing and pretty much something you cant do without offroad is priced accordingly. Popular = expensive, but there are some cheaper options, plus given the bike industry is going through a transitional period currently with some even big big companies are cutting back to the point they're in administration.

So you need a drop thats going to help say 150mm, but as said pretty much anything it going to be a big help, and when you get to the lower drop lengths, its there we can see the bigger savings.

I recently bought a high end dropper for a new build, which retails at over £300, for less than half price. My needs are similar to yours, as in it makes getting on the bike way easier, but not for the same reasons, as in mine arent medical, but i find it a real plus point getting on what I use as a commuting/shopping type bike as fully loaded with shopping, leaning it to such an extent to get the leg over(oo-er) makes it a bit unbalanced.

** IMPORTANT
One important thing to take note of is some droppers are internally wired through the frame and some are externally routed onto the frame(zip ties etc. I strongly suggest you look only for externally routed posts as those are going to be the easiest to fit and thus considerably hassle

Raleigh bikes make one called the RSP Plummet which retails around about the 50 quid mark. Its certainly cheap, and maybe not as robust as other higher priced, but its a good starting point for you to get on with and comes with a remote lever which many of the very highly priced ones do not so deffo a bonus there.
Not sure if 'Plummet' is such an ideal name but there you go.

#This post has the externally cable routing option
Another brand which usually costs a bit less is one called 'Brand X' not the best name but it has a strong reputation amongst the MTB community as being of good quality, and so plenty I know use them. They aint no fox factory transfer or AXS, but they do the job and apparently so do it pretty well, and therefore should be an excellent choice for yourself.

Bit of a sale on in places and you should get a brand x in say 150mm drop for about 90 quid
#Brand x have an externally routed cable option on some of their posts to take note when ordering.

If you think you need longer, theres a 170mm brand X here for about £100

Many thanks for some excellent info. I think 150mm will be ok and external.

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Brand X Ascend Dropper - I need 27.2 version and available from Wiggle at £89.99 and is cheapest I can find for a cabled post and 27.2.
105mm travel will be ok I'm sure. The blurb says -

"The 27.2 option comes with the 2/3x Paddle Lever." What does this mean - the Q&A on the site talks about number of front rings on bike. Mine only has 1 ring so is this a problem with this model?

Thanks

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Brand X Ascend Dropper - I need 27.2 version and available from Wiggle at £89.99 and is cheapest I can find for a cabled post and 27.2.
105mm travel will be ok I'm sure. The blurb says -

"The 27.2 option comes with the 2/3x Paddle Lever." What does this mean - the Q&A on the site talks about number of front rings on bike. Mine only has 1 ring so is this a problem with this model?

Thanks
Sorted now

Reactions: thelarkbox

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
To the OP re the thread title...

Have you tried connecting to a young man with a pair of jump leads?

Now can someone call me a Taxi while I get my coat.

Reactions: sneggysteve

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
and such cuddly names!