Canyon Grail:On vs. Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon Evo

brandon98

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2020
Hi,

I'm planning to leave my car @home more often and commute to work via pedelec (that I don't own yet...).
The idea is to travel to work (around 12 km - one way) with as much assistance as needed to NOT arrive all sweaty.
On my way home I'd like to reduce the motor assist so I have some sort of workout to tweak my fitness (and hopefully lose some weight too).

I tried both pedelecs, and they were both fun. I don't have a dedicated garage to charge the batteries, nor do I have the space @home to charge the pedelec there.
The only option that I have (which may sound more awful than it actually is) is to carry the pedelec to my basement storage room and charge it there.
With the grail I have the option to detach the battery - so that would be a pro on Canyon's account.

I'd love to read about your opinions on this.

Thanks a lot!

brandon98

Oct 15, 2020
This is the closest info that I could find in the Specialized manual:
"Batteries have undercharge and overcharge protection, so that they can be charged/discharged as needed".

brandon98

Oct 15, 2020
@Amoto65 :
May I ask how tall you are?
I sat on the L and M version and on both i had the feeling that I sat 2 tads too dynamic.
Didn't want the kind shop owner to switch or turn the stem to allow a more upright position.
5'10" - that's my height by the way.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Tony, I have been watching how you bend narratives and facts to guide people towards the bikes you have in stock. Good luck to you. I know you're only trying to finance your lifestyle. As you know, people will accept any bullshit you give them. The more complicated you make the theories and explanations, the more they swallow it. It's not difficult to program them to buy what you want to sell them.

Luckily for me, my lifestyle is a lot less expensive than yours and I don't have to rely on elctric bike stuff to finance it, so I'm in an independent situation, where I can say things as they are.

Like hub-motored bikes, crank-drive ones have some advantages in some situations, but those situations tend to be exclusive to commuting.
I was one vfr as I didn’t have a clue what to buy all I knew was I needed an electric bike.
all the salesmen (not one woman) said go for mid crank drive, all said either Bosch or Yamaha being the best available and one salesman said in his opinion racing and riding mountain ebikes for years the Yamaha, though not the quietest was by far the most reliable. I did have a scout around his shop and it had a good split of all types of motors.
so I ended up with a mid drive Yamaha motored haibike.
Then I found this site just as I was buying so went through with the deal and started reading posts here on varying motors etc etc. Which now in hindsight I think I’d have gone for a cheaper rear hub motor I could service and repair myself.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's true that you can service a hub motor yourself but what would you have bought in place of your Haibike?

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
It's true that you can service a hub motor yourself but what would you have bought in place of your Haibike?
one of yours would have been high in the list I feel.
I’m not complaining as the haibike is fairly good. I could have saved a good £500 buying something different.

Reactions: Woosh

brandon98

Oct 15, 2020
Hi @All,

to wrap things up - I went for the Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon evo with that green-ish color. Looks great even with the Specialized fenders mounted. It's fun to ride and I'm happy I made this decision.
Thanks a lot!

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu