Capital to Coast Sunday Ride

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
themutiny & I have been discussing doing a Sunday ride following the Capital to Coast route from Esher down to Hove (about 60 miles). Rather than continue to discuss it within the 100-mile thread, I started a new one.

Broad details of the route can be found here... Capital to Coast - the London to Hove Charity Bike Ride

Currently it is looking like either Sunday 20th or 27th September are good days.

Who else might be interested?

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I have to confess that I can't remember the exact route, but I do remember that I wasn't fond of the early part of the course. So I would suggest Epsom downs to Hove, which neatly works out at 50 miles, per below: This is as close as I will get from memory!

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Coast ride

Would love to take part but I am taking my son to Uni on Sunday and I have been away three weekends out of the last six. My wife is not happy!

If it takes place in about a month I will be able to attend, weather permitting.

Conal

C

Cyclezee

My problem with this route is, as with the Ching Challenge, it is too far south for many members to travel for a one day event:(

Also, I think a circular route would be better for logistical reasons.

What I would suggest is somewhere in central England within say 2 or 3 hours travel of the majority of the membership, and any one else who wishes to attend.

My proposal would be somewhere like Rutland Water Cycle Trails - Rutland Water - Leicestershire County Council OK, it is only 25 miles, but could be ridden clockwise then anti clockwise or lapped as many times as you like.

95% is off road and there are a couple of moderate climbs. I did it back in the spring along with my son when it was blowing a gale along the exposed sections that had the Lycra brigade struggling:p
It could even be a family day out so that spouses have no cause to complain.

It is also not very far from a few well know suppliers who might like to sponsor or exhibit at such an event (hint, hint).

What do you think guys & gals?

J:) hn

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Hi John,

I think Leicester would be too far for me to travel for a bike ride. In fact, anywhere with more than an hour's driving to get there is probably more than I'd be prepared to do for a ride. I'd travel that far for larger events (such as something like Prestigne), but not for a Sunday ride.

I wasn't really trying to organise an 'event' here as such... more hoping that a couple of people might feel like a ride out from London some Sunday soon before the weather turns grim. We could cycle.. and eat sandwiches.. and cycle some more... and drink a celabratory beer when we can see the sea.. and then catch the train home.

I'd originally suggested NCN Route 21 down to Brighton for the ride, but themutiny suggested the Capital to Coast route as an alternative, and I'd rather try something new than a route I already know well.

If its what's preferred however, I can easily string together a 20-40 mile mostly off-road circular route around my area. If I was planning the route through, it would start out from one of the nearby train stations (East Croydon, Purley or Caterham) and it would be hilly.

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Hi all

Inadvertently stirred up a hornet's nest methinks.

On reflection, a circular route is a better bet logistically. If it is in the next couple of weeks, on a sunday, and within a 50-60 mile radius of where I live, then I can guarantee my attendance. If Fecn would like to organise something (sorry, haven't been able to glean your real name), that would be fantastic. In my view, the more the merrier, but these things work with small numbers equally well. The ride/sandwich/ride/beer philosophy is ideal for me. This is after all a hobby, not a vocation! Just a few of us will work, and a good time can be had by all. If Andyofthesouth can meet us at the start point, I can provide a bike + batteries for him. I want to do it, and I think Fecn does too, so let's do it...

Fecn, let me know what you think? Like you, I think that the weather will soon close in and preclude these kind of excursions.

Cheers

Nick

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'd be interested in a London or Midlands route normally but at the moment I just don't have the spare time. :(
Maybe next year...

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I've strung together a 40 mile route starting from and ending at East Croydon Station. The bits to and from east croydon aren't too great, but once you get South of New addington, the scenery becomes far more pleasant.

bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

The weather's looking OK for this Sunday, so as long as it's not raining, then let's go this Sunday... 20th September.... or if it's raining and miserable on the day, let's shoot for the 27th instead.

themutiny - What's area do you live in? I couldn't find you on the members map. If it ends up being just you and me, is East Croydon a good starting point for you. If you're coming by car, I can arrange secure parking for you at my house instead.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
This sounds very good. Thanks for the very kind bike offer, Nick, which is much appreciated, but I am out of the picture at the moment, at least for weekends. We are very much in the midst of preparing-for-university time. I do agree with your thought that you don't actually need many people for a ride to be a good idea. :)

Andy

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Hi Fecn

That looks pretty good to me.

I live on the south coast, but was anticipating a journey anyway. Since I work in south London I'm kind of used to it. If it goes well perhaps we can do it down my neck of the woods on another occasion.

This Sunday works for me, would you have any objection if I brought the other half, she is a fair cyclist and has expressed an interest. I will probably use my Torq, and she will use a Cytronex with a couple of batteries.

Would be coming be car, so it would be useful if I can park near you.

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
As it is looking like it'll be just the three of us (of course your wife is welcome) then I'll work out a slightly different route to avoid the roads around Croydon. I'll PM you my address this evening when I work out the new route.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I'm just back from my ride with Nick. We did 57 miles in the end and did go all the way down NCN route 21 to Brighton rather than doing the route we'd planned, so this thread is aptly named after all.

A big thank you to Nick for a most enjoyable Sunday.