Cargo trike motor upgrade advice

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Hello

We run a Nihola cargo trike for running the kids about in and have been happily using a Heinzmann HT rear hub motor for a few years. It gets daily use in all weathers and has to tackle hills. I also run a GNG Gen2 350w on a longtail cargo bike

I want to replace the motor and am looking at the Bafang mid-drives, specifically the BBS02 36v 500w as I like the hill climbing ability of the GNG.

Two questions I'm after some input on:-
- will the BBS02 have more torque than the 53nm of the Heinzmann?
- how much will the kit cost me landed in the UK including taxes?

Are there any other high torque 36v options for mid drive or rear wheel conversations that might do the job.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I have the GNG gen2 on one of my bikes, and I would say that the 500w geared hub-motors give more torque on medium and steep hills. I think that the GNG would only win on exceptionally steep hills if you have low gearing as well.

As you probably don't want to go too fast, a 201 rpm Bafang BPM at 36v and 30 amps should be fine, or, if you want an easy time, the 48v version is even better although it's a bit slower. At 30 amps, you need to make sure that your battery can give that.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion.

What sort of battery should I look for if I want to draw 30a and will the standard controller that comes with the motor need changing?

Any comments on the BBS02 - will if give comparable pull to the GNG at 36v 500w? I am drawn to mid-drives even though them are a bit more expensive.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've never seen a review of any of the more powerful Bafang crank-drives. Hopefully, we'll get some soon. When I was in China, I had a go on the "750w" one, but it was some sort of prototype with a 48v bottle battery. It didn't feel as powerful as a GNG.

If you buy your BPM from BMSBattery,you can buy the complete kit with KU123 controller. They also have the S12S sine-wave controller with LCD at 23 amps, which will be fine at 48v, but obviously less power at 36v.

They have a big choice of batteries. You need one that can give 20 amps continuous.look at the listing, which will tell you that.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Iain,

You might want to consider an eZee kit for you Nihola.
Kit.png
They are used to power our Yuba el Mundo and eZee Expedir models etc.

eZee Yuba Mundo.JPG

Expedir LST 049 copy 2.jpg

image copy.jpg

Reactions: mountainsport

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion John.

I am going to go with Dave's suggestion.

I have found it on BMS Battery & below is my shopping list. Have I got all the right bits:-

ProductDescriptionRef.Avail.Unit priceQtyTotal
Total products:€490.21
Total:€490.21

I assume a 15-30a battery is the right one and that the charger matches.

If there is a better suggestion on where to buy let me know.

A Pair of EBike Torque Arm
Size : M12--€11.04

€11.04

Bafang BPM2 36V500W Rear Driving Bike Conversion Kit
RPM : 201--€125.101€125.10
  • Wheel(rim) size: 26

36V 20Ah 38120 LiFePO4 Battery 24 Cells EBike Battery Pack
Discharge Current : 15-30A--€297.52

€297.52

Alloy Shell 600W LiFePo4/Li-Ion/Lead Acid Battery EBike Charger
AC Voltage : 200V~264VEMC-600€53.751€53.75
  • Battery type: lifepo4
  • Charge voltage: 36v
  • Charge current: 15-30
  • AC plug: UK 240v

Thumb Level Throttle without Handle21X€2.80

€2.80

D

Deleted member 4366

I think I'd change the charger for a 5 amp one unless you specifically need fast charging. The slower you charge, the better it is for the battery.

Add one of their spoke keys to your order, and maybe their BB tool if you don't already have one.

the LiFePO4 battery is a good battery that should last a long tome, but at 9kg,it's nearly double the weight of a Li-ion one. If you stick with it, choose the higher rated BMS (30A to 60A)

The PAS on the KU123 with the kit is useless. If you want to use PAS, it might be worth getting the S12S controller that has five levels.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks

On BMS battery the only 36v 20ah one is this

36V20Ah Li-Ion NiCoMn shrink tube electric bicycle battery pack. Included 10pcs Li-Ion polymer cells in series, 1pcs 15A continuous discharge current smart BMS, 1pcs 36V4Amps EMC-180 Lithium Ion battery Alloy shell charger.

Doesn't give options for 30-60A.

I appreciate the help.

D

Deleted member 4366

The 30-60A option is for the LiFePO4 battery. The Li-ion one has a BMS rated higher that 15 amps (at least both mine and Saneagle's do). I believe that the listing is wrong. Judging by the numer of FETs inthe BMS, I'd say at least 30 amps. They work fine with that BPM kit.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Clear - shipping is a lot. How much will I get hit for on duty etc when it arrives in the UK?

D

Deleted member 4366

Clear - shipping is a lot. How much will I get hit for on duty etc when it arrives in the UK?
I'll stick my neck out and say about £75. They always seem to look a bit closer when you get a battery.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thinking ahead to installing this when this arrives. I like a simple set up, no pas just throttle, no brake cut outs just a switch / way if disabling the kit when leaving the bike.

Can I set it up without PAS?

Anything to be aware if when installing torque arms?

Cheers