Carrera Crosscity E folding electric bike 2020

StefanM

Just Joined
Jan 28, 2021
Good afternoon,

I hope that you can help me.

I recently purchased a Carrera Crosscity E folding electric bike 2020 (https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crosscity-folding-electric-bike-750632.html)

In the manual it says that if you don't use the battery for more than 24 hours, the battery goes into sleep mode. It then says that to "awake" the battery you need to hold the power button on the power monitor device that's located on the handlebar for 5 seconds (see photo A).

If I use the bike and leave it for a few hours, I try this but it doesn't work.

I have to manually switch the battery off using the switch on the battery / frame and when I turn it back on the power monitor device on the handlebar works straight away (see photo B).

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the bike's battery, bike power monitor screen or something faulty?

The battery is charging up properly when I take it out so am a little stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Switch the battery on when you use it. Switch it off when you're finished. You don't need to switch it off for short stops, like when you're shopping. Use the control panel instead unless you feel you need extra security.

I guess some people leave the battery switched on all the time and use the control panel as the on/off switch. Maybe that's when you have to use the wake up procedure.

StefanM

Just Joined
Jan 28, 2021
Switch the battery on when you use it. Switch it off when you're finished. You don't need to switch it off for short stops, like when you're shopping. Use the control panel instead unless you feel you need extra security.

I guess some people leave the battery switched on all the time and use the control panel as the on/off switch. Maybe that's when you have to use the wake up procedure.
That's what I'm trying to explain. I keep the battery on all of the time normally and want to use the control panel as the on/off switch. But, it doesn't work to "wake up" the battery despite saying it does in the manual.

I wanted to know if this was a default in my own bike or normal and the manual is wrong / out-dated.

Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
sometimes the battery's on/off electronic switch interferes with the battery's protection circuitry. If you can't turn on the LCD, just switch the battery off and on again, then turn on the LCD.
that should do the trick.

StefanM

Just Joined
Jan 28, 2021
sometimes the battery's on/off electronic switch interferes with the battery's protection circuitry. If you can't turn on the LCD, just switch the battery off and on again, then turn on the LCD.
that should do the trick.
This seems to do the trick.

It doesn't mean my battery is defective though, does it?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the problem is small, usually only require two second intervention or you can leave the battery switch on.

StefanM

Just Joined
Jan 28, 2021
the problem is small, usually only require two second intervention or you can leave the battery switch on.
Hi there,

Can you tell me what the "two second intevention" is that I need to do to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
switch the battery off, count 1,2 then switch it back on again. That won't take long,
You can take your bike back to Halfords if you want, but it's not always reproducible and changing the battery may or may not solve the problem.
The root of the problem is EM interference produced by the inrush current when you switch the battery on after leaving it off for sometime, wrongly triggering the protection circuitry, cutting off the LCD. Switching it off and on again does not cause much inrush and consequently kills the EM interference.
In my workshop, I would swap out controller, battery and tidy the wires - one of the remedies will work but can't say which one in advance.