Carrera crosscity electric bike

cerveja

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 31, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum,
I wonder if someone can help me Diagnosing my ebike not turning on.
(carrera crosscity) The battery is fully charged, still when I press the on button on the display nothing happens, I am guessing is either the controller or the display.
I have checked all the wiring but to no avail.
Does anyone knows the pin and plugs function of the controller?
Many thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The display works independently from anything else and it's connected directly to the battery, so it's not getting any voltage from the battery. First thing to check is the connectors in the fold.

Pin-outs are simple. Red is battery voltage to power it, black is ground, green is the power level signal for the controller and blue is the switched power that carries battery voltage to power the controller when the display is switched on.

If you want to check with a meter, you have to remove the connector panel from the front of the frame behind the fold, so that you can plug it into the battery. Pull the controller out, unplug the display connector and measure the voltage between red and black, then work your way back (forward) to the battery.

cerveja

Oct 31, 2020
Thank a million for the prompt reply,
I have just pulled the panel out from the fold with the 2 big terminals that connect to the battery.

There are 4 wiring looms on the controller 2 think ones and 2 thinner, 1 of the thick gooes in to the controller from the battery, the other thick goes from the controller to the hub motor.
Then the 2 thinner ones, 1 black plug seems to go to the display (790) and brake levers and the other, orange, goes to the crank sensor.
This is my understanding.

It doesn't seem to go directly from the battery to the display.

I can't see the wire colours you mentioned earlier. All the wiring looms are black.

Please help me again.

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The connect for the control panel is inside the controller but it won't be faulty. The red battery wire is soldered to a thick track, and the red for the control panel is soldered nearby. It's the same situation with the black. Measuring at the external connectors will show where the fault is. When you know where it is, you can find out why it is.

cerveja

Oct 31, 2020
Thanks again vfr400 for your help.

"Pin-outs are simple. Red is battery voltage to power it, black is ground, green is the power level signal for the controller and blue is the switched power that carries battery voltage to power the controller when the display is switched on."
The socket/wiring loom that goes from the controller to the display and brake switches has 6 very thin pins/wires which I cannot see the individual wire colours (the outer of the loom is back).
Should I assume at this socket I should have a power wire, a earth, a switch on power and a battery signal and the other 2 being for the brake switches?
How do I check the colours that you mentioned?

Thanks again.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Never assume anything. You can do some serious damage if you get it wrong. Show photos of what you have.

cerveja

Oct 31, 2020
There are 4 looms from the controller ; 1 with 2 wires to the battery, 1 with 8 or 9 to the hub motor, 1 with 3 wires to the crank sensor and 1 with 6 wires to the display and brake sensors.

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sealed connectors like that makes it impossible to test.

If your 790 panel comes apart (screws underneath), you can test in there.

cerveja

Oct 31, 2020
Unfortunately, it's sealed.
Any other suggestion?
Do you still think it is not the controller?
Do you know what each of the 6 pins does on the plug that goes to the display and brake sensors?
Thanks again?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't know which is which. I can't even say what they all are because there are two versions of the 790 - analogue and digital. Using logic. I think the only possibility is that you have the digital version, so assuming that you don't have a throttle, I would guess that they're:
Battery voltage
Switched battery voltage
Brake signal
Ground
Rx
Tx

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Lastly, may I ask what is your best guess?

Thanks
There's no standard for it. the only thing i can guess is that the switched battery wire will be next to the battery wire. You can identify the battery one and the ground by checking continuity to the two battery terminals on the panel you unscrewed. With that panel connected and everything switched on, the brake one will be 5v.

It might be worth looking inside your controller because not all Santroll ones are potted, though I have a feeling yours is. If not, you can get at all the wires to test.

The first thing you should test is the battery connector. Push the connector on the panel into the battery, then you should be able to check the voltage on the two pins. After confirming the voltage, with everything connected, try the 790 again. If it doesn't work when you've definitely got battery voltage on those two pins, it's probably faulty, like a wire pulled off the pcb.

cerveja

Oct 31, 2020
Hi vfr400, thanks so much for your input and advice.
I managed to fix it. The problem was in the wiring loom that goes from the controller to the display and brakes. 39398