carrera crosscity freehub help

shar

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2020
i have a carrera crosscity folding ebike the freehub has packed up could someone know where to get a replacement

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I thought those types of bikes always had freewheels rather than freehubs. Are you sure it's a freehub? How many speeds does it have?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The question was whether you're sure it's a freehub and not a freewheel. Have you dismantled it?

shar

May 25, 2020
Aye it’s dismantled the answer I need is where can I get one

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lets make this simple, do the sprockets (gear cluster) screw on or do they slide on and to a hub carrier with splines ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Aye it’s dismantled the answer I need is where can I get one
Do you know the difference between a freehub and a freewheel? If your bike has a freehub and it's broken,it's not going to be easy to get a replacement, as it would be part of the motor. Freewheels would be replaceable and they come from DNP. UK stockists are rare. I used to buy some from DNP for forum members, but I don't think I have any left.

What is actually wrong with what you have? Most problems can be fixed.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
According to Halfords the bike uses a Shengyi DGWH2C

The 8 speed uses a cassette, the motor company email is: xs.l@syimotor.com

I would email them and ask for the freehub model reference number.

Sometimes you don't need a new freehub as it just require some grease, there are many videos on this on YouTube.

shar

May 25, 2020
Do you know the difference between a freehub and a freewheel? If your bike has a freehub and it's broken,it's not going to be easy to get a replacement, as it would be part of the motor. Freewheels would be replaceable and they come from DNP. UK stockists are rare. I used to buy some from DNP for forum members, but I don't think I have any left.

What is actually wrong with what you have? Most problems can be fixed.
freehub is slipping-no drive motor is bafang or so it saya on casing halfords have been no help at all

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
First, I'd drizzle a load of 3-in-one oil into it. You can get some in down the back of it, but the best is through the axle. You need quite a lot of that oil and it has to be that type. If that doesn't work, you'll have to strip it down. The pawls are probably standard Shimano type. If you could show the actual free-hub removed from the motor, I might be able to help because I have some Bafang ones off the bigger motors, but there are different types.

shar

May 25, 2020
First, I'd drizzle a load of 3-in-one oil into it. You can get some in down the back of it, but the best is through the axle. You need quite a lot of that oil and it has to be that type. If that doesn't work, you'll have to strip it down. The pawls are probably standard Shimano type. If you could show the actual free-hub removed from the motor, I might be able to help because I have some Bafang ones off the bigger motors, but there are different types.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's quite rusty, so try the 3-in-one oil, which you can get from any decent DIY shop. Halfords and Screwfix have it:
Alternatively, just dismantle it and clean it up. You only need to replace the whole thing if the ratchet is damaged. Everything else is replaceable.

As I said, there are different versions. If you have the type I showed in the second to last post here, you just remove the two ring-nuts on the axle and pull/wiggle it off:

There's also this version of the freehub:

Last edited:

shar

May 25, 2020

shar

May 25, 2020
It has freed up slightly I am going to leave it overnight in a light oil bath hopefully that will help it many thanks but if anyone knows where to get spares please let me know