Carrera Crossfire conversion

Harrie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2020
Hi folk, need some life changing advice. I am having intermittent E42 , motor/cable, error. Halfords don't check cable for fault, they change motor and cable as one, around £450.
My question is, I would like to get a kit that includes wheel with rear hub, controller, and display. I would use my present battery 36V.
I am looking at something that will last and is reliable.
Many thanks.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi folk, need some life changing advice. I am having intermittent E42 , motor/cable, error. Halfords don't check cable for fault, they change motor and cable as one, around £450.
My question is, I would like to get a kit that includes wheel with rear hub, controller, and display. I would use my present battery 36V.
I am looking at something that will last and is reliable.
Many thanks.
Intermittent often means cable damage that sometimes shorts out and sometimes doesn't, or poor contact in a connector.

Worth a fiddle and clean if any connectors you can get at, and consider if the motor can be opened to check wiring all the way to the motor.

For the battery to work with a kit it will need to be 'open', not proprietary to the maker.

Harrie

Oct 23, 2020
Intermittent often means cable damage that sometimes shorts out and sometimes doesn't, or poor contact in a connector.

Worth a fiddle and clean if any connectors you can get at, and consider if the motor can be opened to check wiring all the way to the motor.

For the battery to work with a kit it will need to be 'open', not proprietary to the maker.
Sorry what do you mean by 'open'. Thanks

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Sorry what do you mean by 'open'. Thanks
E.g. a Shimano battery cannot be reused on a non-Shimano bike. I think yours is a Suntour hub motor system, and I do not know if that means the battery is generic or only works with Suntour.

The good news is, someone on here will know, and if you post pics of the battery connections and charging port, that will help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We have had guys in here replace the Suntou controller/display with another brand and successfully use the suntour hub and battery.

In your case E42 is motor hall failure, as the motor isn't working any way it is worth opening and replacing the hall sensor. Hall sensor is about £3- £4 as I have just bough three to repair my failed on in my mid drive motor. One will need a solder iron and solder and on or two halls.

If you have meter test the motor Halls via the controller/motor sensor wires, the test is quite easy and simple to carry out if a wire block connector is used at the controller.
Show us a pic of the controller to see if the test can be done.

If the motor hall can be repaired one can replace the controller/display for about £100, is this a TS or cadence sensor PAS.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Harrie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forum member footpump I think was the first to retro fit an e - crossfire with a KT controller system on thus forum.

Harrie

Oct 23, 2020
E.g. a Shimano battery cannot be reused on a non-Shimano bike. I think yours is a Suntour hub motor system, and I do not know if that means the battery is generic or only works with Suntour.

The good news is, someone on here will know, and if you post pics of the battery connections and charging port, that will help.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Footpump replaced the TS with a traditional cadence sensor and a new BB.
One can buy TS BB and controller kits but they work out at about £200.

With the KT on gets 5 power levels using current control, if one wanted to there is OSF programming that can preprogrammes KT signwave controllers to TS control.

Harrie

Oct 23, 2020
We have had guys in here replace the Suntou controller/display with another brand and successfully use the suntour hub and battery.

In your case E42 is motor hall failure, as the motor isn't working any way it is worth opening and replacing the hall sensor. Hall sensor is about £3- £4 as I have just bough three to repair my failed on in my mid drive motor. One will need a solder iron and solder and on or two halls.

If you have meter test the motor Halls via the controller/motor sensor wires, the test is quite easy and simple to carry out if a wire block connector is used at the controller.

If the motor hall can be repaired one can replace the controller/display for about £100, is this a TS or cadence sensor PAS.
Hi thanks for the feedback. If it was a faulty Hall sensor then would you get no power from motor at all as it is ,I can ride for 8 miles the Error 42 would come on and after switching power on /off several times, I would be able to ride away. Sometimes it would come on several times during a short ride sometimes only couple of times.

Harrie

Oct 23, 2020

This is a torque sensor.

Harrie

Oct 23, 2020
Footpump replaced the TS with a traditional cadence sensor and a new BB.
One can buy TS BB and controller kits but they work out at about £200.

With the KT on gets 5 power levels using current control, if one wanted to there is OSF programming that can preprogrammes KT signwave controllers to TS control.
What does BB mean?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bottom Bracket.

Reactions: Harrie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One would have to carry out a voltage test on the halls to find out, usually a duff hall does mean no motor power, ebike systems use a 5v rail for peripheral's using halls.