Carrera Crossfire-E battery enquiry

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I am very happy with my Crossfire-E that I bought a few months ago. However, I don't know if the battery is defective. Every time I fully charge the battery and go for a 6 miles ride (3 miles to wherever I am going and 3 miles back) the battery drops to around 70 and 75%. Is this normal? I am 18 stone and carry a backpack full of shopping. The journey is slightly uphill but not too steep and I use the sport power assist (cheetah). When going downhill I switch the power assist off and when I am cycling on level ground then it is on city power assist (squirrel). Also, I have noticed when charging at home, the light on the battery charger turns green and when I connect the battery back on to my ebike, the battery percentage reads as 99% instead of 100%. Please advise.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I am very happy with my Crossfire-E that I bought a few months ago. However, I don't know if the battery is defective. Every time I fully charge the battery and go for a 6 miles ride (3 miles to wherever I am going and 3 miles back) the battery drops to around 70 and 75%. Is this normal? I am 18 stone and carry a backpack full of shopping. The journey is slightly uphill but not too steep and I use the sport power assist (cheetah). When going downhill I switch the power assist off and when I am cycling on level ground then it is on city power assist (squirrel). Also, I have noticed when charging at home, the light on the battery charger turns green and when I connect the battery back on to my ebike, the battery percentage reads as 99% instead of 100%. Please advise.
What level of assist do you use? Do you keep the types at their optimum pressure?

D

Deleted member 4366

That all looks normal to me. battery meters in the LCD can't be relied on for absolute values. They're only useful for comparing one of your rides to another. If you want exact range info, you should fit a wattmeter.

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
When you use the battery, the percentage falls, and after you have charged it, it goes back up to 99-100 %. ummmm

Shock horror, Battery loses charge after being used, but magically regains it after being put on charge ! ;)

What were you expecting to see ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Dislike
Reactions: Artmuzz and Harlou

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
My crossfire-e never displays 100% after a full charge, only ever 99%, so dont worry about that.
The initial loss on the display from 99% to, in my case, 93% displayed can happen in a 200 meters, then it can take 2 miles or so to drop the same amount, so I have come to the conclusion that's it's just not relative across the range
I have also found, I can get home and it's on 49%, turn off display...turn display straight back on and it reads 55%.
I've managed 45 miles on a charge, using mostly 25% or 50% (Camel or Squirrel) assistance, with the odd 75% (Cheetah) assistance up a hill or 2, so I'm pretty please with it range wise, although if I could get a 15 or 17ah battery that slotted straight into the existing cradle, I'd get one.

I'd also be in the market for a 2nd battery for touring,if I could get one at a reasonable price...anyone seen one ?

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
I find my display fairly accurate for my style of use. I tend to ride without power unless hills or headwind get a bit much for the knees. And of course for every uphill there is a downhill. As such I get about 1km per % (if that makes sense).
Obviously every ride is slightly different but that seems to average out for me. When I first had the bike I ran the battery gown to less than 5% twice, apparently this helps calibrate the battery, maybe that would help.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I also notice often that it will display the same amount of remaining battery level for a long period of time whilst using the battery, especially in 25 and 50 per cent modes, for example, at the 82, 72, 60 per cent points. Yesterday I rode about 4 or 5 miles on 50 per cent assistance and it didn't budge off 72 per cent battery remaining...

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
When you use the battery, the percentage falls, and after you have charged it, it goes back up to 99-100 %. ummmm

Shock horror, Battery loses charge after being used, but magically regains it after being put on charge ! ;)

What were you expecting to see ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you haven't anything constructive to say then don't say it. Please don't leave patronising replies. I am fully aware that batteries lose charge when used and then "magically" regains charge when put on charge. I don't think you fully realise what advise I was wanting. I was enquiring whether a discharge of the battery by 30% by cycling 6 miles radius was normal or too much of a discharge but instead to think it's a great idea to ridicule me.

Anyway, thanks to the other poster for the replies.