Carrera Crossfire-E pedal assist

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
When I am riding my Carrera Crossfire-E without pedal assist is it normal for the bike to ride like I am riding in sticky thick mud. Going downhill is fine without pedal assist but riding on level roads without pedal assist feels like I'm riding in sticking thick mud. I have also noticed that when I have pedal assist on and the motor cuts out at 27kph I can feel like my bike is getting slower as if I am riding in sticky thick mud. Is this normal?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
When I am riding my Carrera Crossfire-E without pedal assist is it normal for the bike to ride like I am riding in sticky thick mud. Going downhill is fine without pedal assist but riding on level roads without pedal assist feels like I'm riding in sticking thick mud. I have also noticed that when I have pedal assist on and the motor cuts out at 27kph I can feel like my bike is getting slower as if I am riding in sticky thick mud. Is this normal?
Same with the volt it's like riding in Treacle.

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
One of the points I liked about the Crossfire was that it rode well without power. That said it is a big heavy bike and in my case a big heavy rider so there's a lot of weight to shift.
I had a some binding on the brakes which was easy to deal with but did cause some drag.
It's easy to become lazy (for me at least) when using the motor and not use the gears fully. Switching off the power may need a drop of several gears.
Sometimes I thought I was riding on the level and in fact there was a slight incline, it was just that the motor made it seem very easy.
As I suggested on another thread I think there's possibly a psychological issue with it being so very easy under power compared to being the normal drag for a 25kg bike. That's nearly twice the weight of my last bike. If I'd been riding that whilst carrying another it would have been pretty difficult.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I think of it this way:
With the power on it's like I've been gifted Bradly Wiggins' legs, turn the power off and it's just little old me. O f course the comparison feels like riding through treacle. Just shows how much the motor is actually doing.
As my 'pedal legs' have developed, I'm able to ride more with the power off, but a slight incline soon hurts enough to see me putting it back on. Guess I'm just a Lithium junky:oops::D

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Lift up the bike and spin each wheel in the forward direction. They should spin freely. If they do, then you're suffering from the ebike illusion. You don't realise how much the motor is helping you until you switch it off.

The weight doesn't make much difference. The kit weighs about 7kg, so up hills you have to put in about 7% more effort than an equivalent non-electric bike. Down hills should be 7% less effort at full speed, and no difference on the flat other than slightly slower acceleration.