Review Carrera Crossfire E

Shackbleep

Just Joined
Feb 11, 2020
I bought my Carrera Crossfire E in November 2019. It's done almost 600 miles. This morning after finishing my night-shift and heading our into the rain.....the bike cut out almost within sight of the factory I work in. I had to cycle against a head wind and on a 7 mile journey almost entirely uphill. Anyone having experienced a cut out will know it's like cycling with the brakes on. I honestly felt I was going to die with a heart attack. I got home and Googled the possible causes. Based on this I removed the battery, something I don't do usually as I charge the bike from inside my house to protect the battery. Well....upon removal I noticed the contacts both on the frame and the battery were green......corrosion had already began. The battery has been sitting in a pool of water for God knows how long. This to my mind is a definite design flaw. I have written to Halfords and await a reply and I suspect I will try for a full refund. This bike is my 3rd e-bike since March 2014. I've had 2 EBCO UCR-10 bikes....both ended with permanent cut off problems. The 1st EBCO took me several months of going back and forth with Halfords before both they and the manufacturer gave up.....after (allegedly) re[placing everything bar the battery! It's eventual replacement lasted under a year....by which time the guarantee had expired on the original purchase.
I may, at this point, just give up on e-bikes and go back to a manual bike!View attachment DSC00048.JPGView attachment DSC00050.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a little bad luck and maybe part design fault, though leaving a battery on a bike after riding in the rain I have never done so have never ever had an issue with corrosion of the discharge pins. A simple occasional smear of grease on the pins helps against corrosion, tbh I don't think you can completely blame the bikes brands in use as I think it is more about maintenance procedure of an electrical product rather the leave it and hope it will be all right.

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

Shackbleep

Just Joined
Feb 11, 2020
Strangely there's no such advice from Halfords on the subject of taking the battery off to check for accumulated moisture? Indeed, it's something I've never heard mentioned anywhere. I assumed there would be a degree of weather-seal on such an important component? With even the slightest though during the development process it might have been suggested putting the contact points further inside the battery casing or at very least giving the gathering water an escape route? I certainly don't think towel drying the bike every time it's a little moist out is a good selling point. And if grease on the contacts was what was required I'd suggest the manufacturer do so and tell the customer to also keep an eye out. But alas, no such information was forthcoming.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Reckon it must have been more than a little moisture to cause that too happen so fast and yes I do dry my ebikes after I have been out in the rain plus I put grease on the terminals.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Shackbleep could you please explain your thinking behind this statement you made
"Based on this I removed the battery, something I don't do usually as I charge the bike from inside my house to protect the battery. "
I am not trying to be funny or anything just wondering how this protects your battery ?
Despite having ample power sockets in my garage I always remove my battery from my bike and take it into the house regardless of it needing a charge or not. To me this is an added theft deterrent.

Reactions: Frankee016

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
  • Agree
Reactions: D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the last 6 years I have ridden in rain all year round in all conditions, some batteries are better then other at terminal protection. The Dolphin 09 case batteries I have are such a battery, never had any moisture find its way on to the terminals.
Never leave a bike/battery out in the standing rain for more then 10 - 20 mins other wise trouble will surely come along, bike in standing rain for any long period needs to be under cover or covered with a bike cape.