Carrera Crossfire error 42 , faulty motor?

Harrie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2020
Hi , first time for me posting,, looking for some advice. I bought a second hand Carrera Crossfire 2018 model about a month back in good condition and total distance done was 600 miles, I have added another 300 in the last month. This bike is working fine and it's my first bike really pleased with it. I am over 62 years old and it has got me back into cycling and going further than I would with a normal bike.
I was beginning to suffer from range anxiety on my battery so I bought an exact same model, faulty error 42 (motor) so I would have a spare battery to take with me on my rides.
The faulty bike I got at a reasonable price, the same as I would have paid for a second hand battery.
My question is would it be ok to test the motor from the faulty bike by connecting it to the working bike , this would let me know if it is the motor or is the problem further on eg; wiring, controller etc. My only worry is would connecting faulty motor wheel to my working bike result in any negative consequences to my working bike?
Any advice will be appreciated.
I am hoping the motor is okay, then I can buy a controller that will run with existing battery. I believe there are controllers out there that would work with this motor, I read on a thread going back a few years.
If I can get this faulty bike going ,I can have some company on shorter rides. Many thanks.