Carrera Crossfire Error 42 (motor)

Harrie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2020
Hi friends, I did put a post out yesterday but cannot see it.
I am 62 year old male got my first ebike over a month ago. It is a second hand Carrera Crossfire 2018 had 600 miles on the clock added another 300, loving it. I have been doing 25 to 35 miles on one charge but I want to go on longer rides I build my fitness up for next summer so I bought another second hand bike, same model and year, not working just for the spare battery.
This second bike comes up with E42 which I believe from the manual is motor problem. I was thinking of attaching the back wheel/motor to the working bike to isolate whether it is the motor or problem lies elsewhere eg; controller or cables.
I am concerned will me testing the motor on my working bike cause any problems to the controller.
Any advice is appreciated, would like to get this second bike running of I could.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I saw the post and was attempting to reply to it, then it disappeared.
Strange happenings.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
E42 is motor hall failure so could even be a broken or dodgy hall wire connection.
Disconnect all small hall wires if possible and see if it will work unsensored.

Trying the non working hub wheel should pose no threat to the bike electronics as the power flow is one way unless regen is used.

Reactions: Harrie

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It seems that there is a common problem associated with the motor connector on the left chain-stay. First, you have to uncover it and check that all the pins are properly in the connector because people have found them backed out and other problems. Put it all back together and tie it with zip-ties in such a way that there is no tension between the wires and the connector and the connector is held together. Don't zip the ties so tight that they damage the wires.

If the problem repeats, cut off both connectors and solder the wires together so that it can't give any more trouble.

Reactions: Harrie