Carrera impel im-3.1 not turning on

N8tr1X

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2024
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some help regarding an issue I'm having with my Carrera Impel im-3.1 electric bike.
I had not used the bike for only a week and I definitely left it with at least 70% battery remaining.
When I tried to turn the bike on by holding the power button on the LCD Compact EX console, nothing happens, there is no life and it doesn't turn on.
I can press the button on the battery and it lights up blue which leads me to believe it's not a problem with the battery.
I had taken the bike back to Halfords but they were useless and there wasn't a technician available that could take a look at my bike so I will have to return this weekend.
Does anyone own this bike and if so, have you had a similar issue?

Reactions: Ray Winder

MrGurps

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some help regarding an issue I'm having with my Carrera Impel im-3.1 electric bike.
I had not used the bike for only a week and I definitely left it with at least 70% battery remaining.
When I tried to turn the bike on by holding the power button on the LCD Compact EX console, nothing happens, there is no life and it doesn't turn on.
I can press the button on the battery and it lights up blue which leads me to believe it's not a problem with the battery.
I had taken the bike back to Halfords but they were useless and there wasn't a technician available that could take a look at my bike so I will have to return this weekend.
Does anyone own this bike and if so, have you had a similar issue?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Battery has probably gone to sleep. Look at the manual to see how to wake it back up - normally press and hold the button for 10 secs or put the charger on for a while.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

MrGurps

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Hello

This is a common problems with the carrera impel 3.1 when the display unit gets wet from being out in the rain or being submerged or condensation build up,
try to remove the unit and inspect wires and connections if this does not work then it is not my job mate! try not to leave it out in the rain in future

Many thanks

MrGurps

N8tr1X

Jan 4, 2024
Battery has probably gone to sleep. Look at the manual to see how to wake it back up - normally press and hold the button for 10 secs or put the charger on for a while.
Hi saneagle, thanks for your reply. I have looked through the manual and didn't find any information regarding waking the battery up if it has gone into a deep sleep. There is a button on the battery that once pressed, just shows the level of charge. Do you mean hold this button down for 10 secs? If so, I have done this and it still does nothing. I have also plugged the charger in and noticed that the charging indicator just stays a steady green and does not go red at all. Also, the charger usually gets hot when it's providing a charge and it's cold to the touch after several hours of leaving it plugged in.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi saneagle, thanks for your reply. I have looked through the manual and didn't find any information regarding waking the battery up if it has gone into a deep sleep. There is a button on the battery that once pressed, just shows the level of charge. Do you mean hold this button down for 10 secs? If so, I have done this and it still does nothing. I have also plugged the charger in and noticed that the charging indicator just stays a steady green and does not go red at all. Also, the charger usually gets hot when it's providing a charge and it's cold to the touch after several hours of leaving it plugged in.
Try this: Plug in the charger and hold down the button for 2 minutes. Let us know if it works.

N8tr1X

Jan 4, 2024
Try this: Plug in the charger and hold down the button for 2 minutes. Let us know if it works.
I will definitely give that a go and see if it kicks it into life. Have you ever had this issue yourself or know of anyone experiencing it and if so, did this help to wake the battery up?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I will definitely give that a go and see if it kicks it into life. Have you ever had this issue yourself or know of anyone experiencing it and if so, did this help to wake the battery up?
Just do it, then we all know rather than writing stuff.

N8tr1X

Jan 4, 2024
Just do it, then we all know rather than writing stuff.
I was at work and didn't have my charger with me, that's why I just asked the question. I tried what you said and unfortunately it hasn't made any difference. Charger just stays on a steady green light and bike still won't turn on.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I was at work and didn't have my charger with me, that's why I just asked the question. I tried what you said and unfortunately it hasn't made any difference. Charger just stays on a steady green light and bike still won't turn on.
In that case, you need to look at the LCD. If it's removab le, check all the contacts are clean and any spring pins are working properly. If it has a battery in it, replace it.. Try your battery on another bike to see if it works..

N8tr1X

Jan 4, 2024
In that case, you need to look at the LCD. If it's removab le, check all the contacts are clean and any spring pins are working properly. If it has a battery in it, replace it.. Try your battery on another bike to see if it works..
I have checked over the LCD as best I can and as it's a fully sealed unit, with no screws to open it up - I've attached a pic of how it looks not that you can see much. I do wonder if it's the LCD that's the issue and it's strange because it's IPX5 rated so I don't know why water would damage it but maybe it has and it needs replacing? I would love to try my battery on another bike but sadly, I don't know any other person that's foolish enough to have wasted their money on this bike like I have. I will have to wait until Halfords pull their finger out and get a technician to look at it but they seem to be as helpful as a chocolate teapot!

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I will have to wait until Halfords pull their finger out and get a technician to look at it but they seem to be as helpful as a chocolate teapot!
If your usual Halfords branch aren't being helpful/are short staffed, try a different branch. Comments from many members here suggest some branches are useless and others are quite good. I know my own branch actually stock a good range of displays and controllers for many of their bikes now, and if your branch is one of the better ones they could easily substitute common parts to help isolate/identify/rectify the fault.

Reactions: N8tr1X

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If your usual Halfords branch aren't being helpful/are short staffed, try a different branch. Comments from many members here suggest some branches are useless and others are quite good. I know my own branch actually stock a good range of displays and controllers for many of their bikes now, and if your branch is one of the better ones they could easily substitute common parts to help isolate/identify/rectify the fault.
Good point. My guys in my local Halfords in Telford were really helpful when I had a failled torque sensor. They gave me a new looking one with a broken lug for nothing. I think it got broken on a new bike during transport or handling. I made a new lug from epoxy, and it worked perfectly.

N8tr1X

Jan 4, 2024
Thanks for your friendly advice chaps, I do appreciate it. I have taken the bike to Halfords and was watching as they tried to connect the bike and run diagnostics but as the LCD doesn't turn on, they didn't have much luck. I have left it with them and they are going to take it apart and check each component one by one to try and isolate the fault. Fingers crossed it isn't the battery that needs replacing!!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for your friendly advice chaps, I do appreciate it. I have taken the bike to Halfords and was watching as they tried to connect the bike and run diagnostics but as the LCD doesn't turn on, they didn't have much luck. I have left it with them and they are going to take it apart and check each component one by one to try and isolate the fault. Fingers crossed it isn't the battery that needs replacing!!
Please let us know the results.

Reactions: N8tr1X

N8tr1X

Jan 4, 2024
I thought I would post an update to let everyone know that I had received a phone call from Halfords today confirming that the battery was the issue. They had ordered another battery and I had to wait quite a while for it to arrive at their warehouse as they were waiting for it to come back in stock. Once they received it, they had put it in my bike and low and behold, it came back to life and turned on! So it would seem that the battery was at fault and needed replacing. Luckily the battery is covered by a 2 year warranty and I won't have to pay a penny which I am very happy to hear. The technician also said he would have a look at my brakes and top up with mineral oil if needed and also will change my brake pads so I can't fault the service there. It has been over 2 long months that they have had my bike which is a very long time but I'm just happy that it's working again and I'll be able to collect it after work.

Reactions: thelarkbox

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Good to hear that you have a solution. My Carrera won't turn on if left for a while but if I press the button on the battery for a few seconds then turn on the lcd panel it comes to life.

naed72

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2024
Just had exactly the same issue with mine. Just took the battery out to charge it. When it was full showing the green light, I put back in. LCD wont turn on, yet the battery light is fine. Tried all the solutions above with no luck, so will try for a new warranty battery as the bike is only 15 months old. Its already been in for a torque sensor change. Beginning to wish I hadn't bothered!!!

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Get a cheap multi meter out and see what's happening. Battery pushing out 36-40v.

Check all the cable connectors.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Get a cheap multi meter out and see what's happening. Battery pushing out 36-40v.

Check all the cable connectors.
The problem is that you can't check the voltage on the batteries on many of the Halfords bikes because they don't give voltage until the controller tells them to.