Carrera Vengeance mountain bike

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I have Suntour crank on my Crossfire. When i fitted the PAS i just removed the granny ring (cut it off with a grinder) to fit the magnet disc on the chainring side.
Then i removed the front derailleur altogether, as with electric assistance i only ever need the large chainring.

amaroq

Pedelecer
May 3, 2016
London
I'm beginning to agree with Alan now; if this bike needs a grinder to remove bits then its not a great bike for converting, not for someone without a grinder and workshop, unless all bikes pose these kind of challenges?

I was hoping I could just fit a kit and be on my way.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I'm beginning to agree with Alan now; if this bike needs a grinder to remove bits then its not a great bike for converting, not for someone without a grinder and workshop, unless all bikes pose these kind of challenges?

I was hoping I could just fit a kit and be on my way.
I could have fitted the magnet disc on the non chainring side, there was enough room. But i think the disc is exposed on that side, also it looks far better behind the chainring so you cant see it.
You often have to make modifications when fitting a kit, you wont really know until you get the bike and the kit and measure everything up.
To make a few mods are no big deal though and are usually **** easy to do.

• :D
Reactions: grldtnr

amaroq

Pedelecer
May 3, 2016
London
You often have to make modifications when fitting a kit, you wont really know until you get the bike and the kit and measure everything up.
To make a few mods are no big deal though and are usually **** easy to do.
I hear that, but I don't have a grinder for e.g. I suspect most people don't. It's taking D.I.Y / self-build to another level.

yojimbo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2016
Cheap cranks often aren't built to be able to remove chainrings. Its common to have issues with the pedelec sensor, especially on MTBs where the inner ring can be very small. On a decent chainset you can just remove that ring, without a grinder. The SRAM hybrid chainset I fitted on my MTB gave enough clearance to retain the small ring, but its a 'small' at 28 teeth, which is fine offroad when backed up with a motor. No matter what bike you use there will be modifications or parts you may have to fiddle with. Its why its worthwhile just sourcing a cheap secondhand bike so what you throw away costs less. But whichever way you go, some parts just wont work together.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I hear that, but I don't have a grinder for e.g. I suspect most people don't. It's taking D.I.Y / self-build to another level.
You may not have to make any mods, but you should be prepared to do them if you have to. Thats the price you pay for getting an Ebike exactly the way you want at a reduced price from a ready made one.
But if these possible probs dont appeal to you, then just buy a ready made Ebike and pay the extra few hundred quid.
The Crossfire E that Halfords do for around £1000 may suit you..... i think there's 10% off atm as well. This bike seems to be rated well from those on here that have bought one.

amaroq

Pedelecer
May 3, 2016
London
Cheap cranks often aren't built to be able to remove chainrings. Its common to have issues with the pedelec sensor, especially on MTBs where the inner ring can be very small. On a decent chainset you can just remove that ring, without a grinder. The SRAM hybrid chainset I fitted on my MTB gave enough clearance to retain the small ring, but its a 'small' at 28 teeth, which is fine offroad when backed up with a motor. No matter what bike you use there will be modifications or parts you may have to fiddle with. Its why its worthwhile just sourcing a cheap secondhand bike so what you throw away costs less. But whichever way you go, some parts just wont work together.
Thank you yojimbo,

So, there isn't an organised list of bikes and kits they've been fitted with?
That would be an idea to catalogue which bikes are easiest with what kits.

I was trying to avoid just diving in and getting any old bike that I fancied and then getting a kit and figuring it out as I went along. But, maybe that's the way after all

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
QUOTE]amaroq said Still unclear what changing on the crank is required of me. Am I filing something down? or?[/QUOTE] If you got into Halfords and look at the bike you are thinking of buying look at the space between the BB shell and the crank face. there needs to be about 3/16th to 1/4" to locate the PAS sensor. on all the models I looked at Vengeance/Kraken etc there was,nt enough room, so I fitted a set of cranks that weren't so chunky at the drive end. an old LX that I had lying around.. If you don't want the hassle I think the Crossfire E would be a good choice or perhaps a Kudos model for 900 ish The problem with a list of bikes compatible is it would go out of date so quickly as manufacturers are forever changing specs and dimensions, I have converted 3 bikes and friends have probably done about 6 more but all have had little problems

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Agreed, theres nearly always something you have to get around. I have always put the PAS on the non drive side because of this.

It one reason I use second hand bikes - the cheapest thing on the bike to change is.......the bike.

Reactions: stevenatleven

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I was in Halfords the other day looking at crossfire ebike but its a bit heavy at 23kg,

they had a 27.5 wheel size mtb with hydraulic disks not sure of model name weighed 14 kg £300
I was considering the oxydrive bmp kit, phoned a few times left my number but no one bothered to contact me.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
re: the mtb. My crossfire3 started out at 12Kg. By the time I had the Ezee front hub on c/w 14Ah rack battery,{ plus panniers, water bottle, frame lock, lights and a Carradice handlebar box) on it, it was nearer 28Kgs. E-bikes are heavy, but they still fly up hills.:)

Reactions: Kinninvie