carrera vengence e (2021 version) - lcd display issue (small screen)

Morko

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 6, 2023
hi good morning all,
I have a Carerra Vengence E and i am now out of my 2 year warranty, i have not had the best of customer experiences in dealing with Halfords over the last couple of years dealing with Halfords, say no more... I now have an issue with my LCD screen which shows no error messages but is failing to function when i select a ride setting or when i try to turn the power off ? Does this screen unit require replacement and were can i source one and which connections will i need to remove / attach ? any help will be of great assistance as i am a complete novice - many thanks thanks

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Did you SEARCH THIS forum for this topic

Reactions: Morko

Morko

Dec 6, 2023
Thanks for the link, oh no, it appears i seem to be the same position as the others and be forced to pay the extra £100 or so for the part - with no guarantee that it will work ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
From your description, the unit is faulty. Unfortunately there's not much you can do except replace it, and it's quite expensive. If you're good with electrical stuff, you have the chance to replace all the electrics except the battery and motor at the same sort of cost, which should make the bike cheaper and more reliable for the future. It also gives you the chance to ditch the heavy chainwheel to save a bit of weight. That requires wiring, soldering and other DIY skills. Other than that, buy a new LCD.

The LCD unit works independently from the rest of the bike, so if it won't switch off or select different levels, the fault is inside it, and I can't see any reason that anything else would be faulty.

Reactions: Morko

Morko

Dec 6, 2023
From your description, the unit is faulty. Unfortunately there's not much you can do except replace it, and it's quite expensive. If you're good with electrical stuff, you have the chance to replace all the electrics except the battery and motor at the same sort of cost, which should make the bike cheaper and more reliable for the future. It also gives you the chance to ditch the heavy chainwheel to save a bit of weight. That requires wiring, soldering and other DIY skills. Other than that, buy a new LCD.

The LCD unit works independently from the rest of the bike, so if it won't switch off or select different levels, the fault is inside it, and I can't see any reason that anything else would be faulty.
I really appreciate your your response and expert guidance - Its looking like the £129.00 plus postage option of a new unit subject to its availability. Many Thanks once more buddy.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I really appreciate your your response and expert guidance - Its looking like the £129.00 plus postage option of a new unit subject to its availability. Many Thanks once more buddy.
Although @saneagle is almost 100% always right, why don't you just take your bike back to Halfords where you can try a new display before parting with the cash? If your Halfords experience has been a bit crap, try a different store - they're not all rubbish: Some are really helpful and competent/knowledgeable too.

Morko

Dec 6, 2023
Although @saneagle is almost 100% always right, why don't you just take your bike back to Halfords where you can try a new display before parting with the cash? If your Halfords experience has been a bit crap, try a different store - they're not all rubbish: Some are really helpful and competent/knowledgeable too.
I have booked my bike into Halfords 28-12-23 was the nearest slot, I am hoping to be back on the road by February 24 - thanks for your advice pal

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Why does NO one use cling film to cover their displays in wet weather ????

Hardly rocket science !!!!!!!

IMG_1724.JPGIMG_1725.JPG

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Also mud flaps save motors and a bag the battery again just common senseIMG_2914.JPGImg_2913.jpgImg_2912.jpgImg_2911.jpg