carrying bags on handle bars

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Would anyone know of a tool what you can hook 1 each side of handle bars so you can hang 2 heavy shopping bags on. reason I am asking is so I can balance the weight. As normally I fill both of my saddle bags with shopping each side then, there is my weight to consider too. so I thought if I can hang some heavy stuff each side of my handle bars it would distribute the weight. I did buy 2 of these things. which measures about 133mm, but time you hook those on then hang a bag from them, the bags are catching in the front wheel. so I need something what is close to handle bars.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, have you thought about buying a handlebar bag

Thanks

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
The easiest option might to buy a set of rear panniers, you can also buy an extension rack for a pannier rack, this allows you to fit bigger pannier bags.

I put a post up a while ago on the site about this, using phone so can't add link to message.

Hope this helps.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I already have rear panniers. but the main reason why I am asking is because I dont want all the weight at back of bike. because i fill up both saddle bags with a lot of heavy shopping like bottles, tins so need to spread weight to front as well

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, what about front bike panniers?

I don't know if you can fit these to front suspension forks (incase you have them).

I imagine somebody will be able to clarify this.

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The best safety option is a small trailer to tow or buy a proper front pannier rack to fit on the front forks.
If you have front suspension then you need single bags to go on each side.
Handle bar bags are for light stuff not heavy shopping.
Bags hanging on the bars tend to swing and get in the way, heavy bags always affect steering no matter how balanced.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Handle bars are vital for steering and you don't want to compromise that function.

My dear ol' mum used to hang shopping bags from the bars of her C90 moped that used to make me cringe - tlll she eventually crashed in a tangle. She then invested in a top box and rear panniers.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
when you say top box I take it you mean front pannier

The best safety option is a small trailer to tow or buy a proper front pannier rack to fit on the front forks.
If you have front suspension then you need single bags to go on each side.
Handle bar bags are for light stuff not heavy shopping.
Bags hanging on the bars tend to swing and get in the way, heavy bags always affect steering no matter how balanced.

Yes i do have front suspension forks. so you mean buy a front pannier rack. then a front pannier, where each saddle bag is both sides of wheel. wont that then make bike front wheel wobble lots

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
when you say top box I take it you mean front pannier

Yes i do have front suspension forks. so you mean buy a front pannier rack. then a front pannier, where each saddle bag is both sides of wheel. wont that then make bike front wheel wobble lots
The racks sit low so CofG is low, tried and tested by tourers world wide, designed for the exact reason you need them for and a damn site better and safer then dangling bags from the bars.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The racks sit low so CofG is low, tried and tested by tourers world wide, designed for the exact reason you need them for and a damn site better and safer then dangling bags from the bars.

ok thanks I will go for that then

Might this work front pannier rack just need bigger clamps for suspension forks, have used exhaust clamps
or an earth bonding strap before

yes looks good, thats looks a nice bike you have there

How about a good old fashioned wicker basket?

Hmm no I dont think so Im a male not female LOL

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
One of the worst accidents I've ever had on a bike was due to shipping bag on handlebar. Never again. Panniers or a backpack ever since.

I was doing maybe 12 mph in a shirt and trousers on a lunch break. Past two tall buildings and the wind between them blew the bag and a plastic item into spokes. Bike stopped dead and I did the full somersault over bars into a parked van

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hmm no I dont think so Im a male not female
Male bravado then, don’t do something sensible and just cable tie your “D”rings/carabiners in position on the handle bars and live with the consequences :p;):D