Center Parc's with an ebike.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I've booked Center Parc's and wondered if anyone has taken their ebike with them.
Heard a few bad stories about bike being stolen and poor bike security.

Any advise and info on the resorts facilities for bikes in general also would be helpful.

Thanks Bob.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
have been there once a few years ago and its OK'ish

a bit pointless with an E bike as there is not many miles to cover. if theft a problem best to bring something a little cheaper......

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
I've booked Center Parc's and wondered if anyone has taken their ebike with them.

Any advise and info on the resorts facilities for bikes in general also would be helpful.

Thanks Bob.

Which one are you going to? I'm pretty sure they will all be similar. I have been to Sherwood Forest several times and Whinfell Forest once so can give you a first-hand account of the facilities there.

maca44

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2008
When I took my non electric MTB to Longleat CP I took it into the accommodation at night because I had a friend who had his bike stolen in the middle of the night more than likely by someone form outside the park.

I can't see much point in taking the risk so I would just hire a bike when you get there.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007

Thanks Bob.
Hi Bob,
Been to Longleat a couple of times. I think bikes are pretty pointless unless you are taking the kids..t We hired bikes once but it was very expensive and we stopped using them after a while. It is easier to walk as most things are very near and seems less stressful. We have a 4 yr old and she preferred the train that runs every 15 mins or so. The only useful thing is if you forget something and you need to dash to the supermarket .. usually a booze run! and it would be handy then to jump on the bike.. (trains stop after 9ish). But then again if you are splashing the cash, you can alsways ring for a home delivery.. free on a 40 quid spend I think?? Don't know about security issues.

Oh and go swimming at lunchtime.. and eat early or late ..its a lot quieter.
Hope that helps.

BW
Tom
musicbooks

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
Hi there.
Im off the Sherwwod forest.
Sherwood Forest is my 'local', just a few miles from where I live and work. I know a large number of the folks that work there as well.

Outside each villa are bike stands bolted to the wall of the villa. Hire bikes are usually locked to these at night. If you take your own bike it can be taken inside the villa at night (providing it's not too muddy). This is what I did when I took my own bike a couple of years ago. If you use your bike to travel on site, there are bike parks near all the major facilities with the same brackets available to lock your bike to that are bolted to your villa wall. The distances on-site are not that large that you really need a bike and the site doesn't have a great variation in altitude. If you choose to take your own bike so you can sample the excellent trails in Sherwood Pines outside Center Parcs, it's probably worth taking your own bike (I'm in there most Sundays and use the trails for commuting). If you are only going to use your bike for commuting on-site, its probably worth leaving it at home if it's of any value and hiring a bike on-site, for peace of mind. I know a couple of the scallys that have gone on site to take bikes so I know this happens. It's not a huge problem but it still exists so beware

Just a word of advice - most activities on site have to be pre-booked. Make sure you book early because things get booked up *VERY* quickly. Even knowing this, the last time we went there as a family for a weekend, all activities we wanted to do were booked up by the time we arrived (and we arrived quite early). I don't know if you can book by phone prior to your visit, probably worth checking if there's anything you really want to do.

There are also many good activities off-site, for example Go Ape - Go Ape Locations

If you see someone riding an Agattu in Sherwood Pines, it's probably me.

Last edited:

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Center Parcs

I have visited three out of four sites, a week at a time, some a number of times; Elveden (Norfolk) this year, Winfell Forest (Ullswater in the Lake District two years ago), and before that Longleat (South East of Swindon). I have never seen an electric bike there and thought that they are not allowed (no motorised vehicles) so it might be worth asking; although they probably wouldn’t notice.
As has already been stated, every villa has a secure bike rack for three or four bikes outside and a sign advising that bikes should be taken into the villa at night. I have never done this but have always locked the bikes using “D” locks and cables though both wheels and the frame. I have been less careful when leaving the bikes at the various facilities although I have always locked the bikes.
You should take bikes for three reasons: firstly, as has also been stated, there are great cycle routes around the internal perimeters of the site, and close by; secondly because the facilities can be a distance from your villa (especially if you don’t realise that unless you pay extra, they can move you , and move you again and again before you get there); and lastly, the bikes they hire are nowhere near as good as any you or I would buy.

Conal

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
I used to go to Longleat center parcs at least twice every year for the last 10 years. Last year however, on our last night, our villa was broken in to (using a very basic screwdriver attack), and a load of our stuff was stolen (we had most of it out as we were preparing to leaving the following morning).

Although centerparcs did go the extra mile and offered us a new holiday and also covered some of our insurance excess, on discussing the case with the police there are some disturbing facts.

In 2006 Center Parcs Longleat had a 71 million pound turnover, but only chose to spend £26k on security. Police have advised them to boost security, but they have failed to.

All of the original chalets are massively flawed in security. Awful door and window locks. You could imagine someone breaking in silently whilst you are asleep and taking your stuff or worse, if you have children.

Despite the fact that before our burglary there were 4 other such attacks (some stealing bikes) that SAME week, CPs did not bother to tighten security of add extra alerts to their messaging system in the villas.

Basically, the thugs from local villages and towns have twigged that security is poor at CP and see it as easy pickings. They basically leap over the fence (which isn't guarded or patrolled or on CCTV) take the bikes/money etc and off they go.

So there's my views on it. I wouldn't pass water over CPs now if they were on fire ! If you are going to go, make sure you use the safes at all times and add some addition alarm/lock if you are in the original villa (not sure whether the new villa have superior locks). I wouldn't bother taken your e-bike either, just rent one of CPs, as the thugs don't bother taking those.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Thanks for all your advise guys.
I think I'll leave the pro connect at home and rent.
I want a relaxing time with no worries.

Thanks again.
Bob

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi all.
Just an update here.
Just return from Center Parcs in Sherwood forrest.
Been there Monday to Friday.
Its a great place for bikes, though I didn't take my Pro Connect or rent one either.
Bike security is very poor, although most people rent, so they wont care.
Please note its better to secure your bike from the back wheel and not the front wheel as advised by center parcs.
Spotted a Agattu stepthrough parked with a basket on the front and a yellow bikebin on the back.
Is it any forum members bike ???

Regards Bob.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi all.
Just an update here.
Just return from Center Parcs in Sherwood forrest.
Been there Monday to Friday.
Its a great place for bikes, though I didn't take my Pro Connect or rent one either.
Bike security is very poor, although most people rent, so they wont care.
Please note its better to secure your bike from the back wheel and not the front wheel as advised by center parcs.
Spotted a Agattu stepthrough parked with a basket on the front and a yellow bikebin on the back.
Is it any forum members bike ???

Regards Bob.
Hi Bob,
Told you mate that it is too fussy to bike about.. much easier to walk.. bikes are actually a bit of a pain in the ar** , though as I said.. would have been nice to jump on the Kalkhoff and nip to the offy quick sharpish to replenish supplies..
No sign of any break ins?

bw
musicbooks

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Bob,
Told you mate that it is too fussy to bike about.. much easier to walk.. bikes are actually a bit of a pain in the ar** , though as I said.. would have been nice to jump on the Kalkhoff and nip to the offy quick sharpish to replenish supplies..
No sign of any break ins?

bw
musicbooks
Oh yes.
Forgot to say.
On the first day a spotted a lad on a bike cycling past with a large set of bolt cutters under his arm.
Enough said !

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
yeah, security is crap at CP. Longleat turnover £73 million, security spend £26k. Inbred oiks from the surrounding villages and towns just either walk past the "security" desk or jump over the badly maintained and ineffectual fences.

As I said, went there for 10 years but now IMHO they've got greedy putting profit before guest security and comfort. A great shame as hopefully my wife is having twins next April and would have loved to gone back there for family holidays.