Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 24, 2008
Reviewer: bluevalentine

Purchased From: CH White, Malmesbury, Wilts

Purchase Price: £1200 inc many extras. Base price around £920

Time Owned: 1 week

Local Terrain: Flat to Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths: Design, build quality and finish of Dahon Caio and original equipment. Overall neat and tidy conversion. Battery storage is unobtrusive yet convenient. Smooth shifting and good range of gears from Nexus 8 hub. Decent brakes. Comfy saddle. CaneCreek Thudbuster seatpost (see Summary). Throttle easy to operate and gives immediate power boost. Ease of folding - under 30 secs.

Weaknesses:
Early days but I wonder whether the 180 w motor is going to bit a bit low powered for getting my 16 stone up steeper hills.
Suntour peddles occasionally fold inadvertently.

Summary: My bike has quite a lot of upgrades and accessories which bumped up the cost. The CaneCreek Thudbuster - true 'rear suspension!' - seatpost irons out all the bumps from 'sleeping policemen' and railway crossings which abound in my suburb of Dublin. I have a nice retro-looking wicker basket on the front (Kilkfix fitting) and an Altura bag on the rear pannier under which the battery is housed. I specified sexy magnesium bar ends and Zefal mirrors, plus a Cateye wireless computer. Also, I had CHW swap the Schwalbe Marathons for Big Apples - purely for the pose! The wimpy bell has gone, replaced by an Airzound horn. LED lights and a cover/bad came as standard with the bike but, curiously, no pump.
It's the first time I've been on a bike since an accident 12 years ago and the first time I'd ridden a folder but after initial wobblies, mental and physical, I found the Caio very easy to ride and the occasional blip of power a handy thing to have - especially when overtaking stationary buses desirous of moving off and for helping get you home when you're a bit knackered.

Now off to tackle my first steep hill - will report back.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 9