Chain 10 gear shiano for KTM Lycon

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Hi all

I bought a new chain for a 10 gear shimano but it keeps sucking into the front cog. i dont think the front cog is worn so maybe its too thick (the chain and quite possibly me)?

Is there more than one thicknes of chain for a 10 gear shimano?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
From my own experience, there are basically two things that can cause a chain suck issue with the Bosch drive unit.

The first being wet/muddy conditions if the DU is still fitted with a sprocket guard. Removing the guard as in the photo below, is an instant cure for that cause.

With sprocket guard allowing crud to build up.

Without sprocket guard.

The second cause is the one that I suspect that you have, and that is front sprocket wear. I experienced this for the first time this year, after doing just as you have done, and that is fitting a new chain. To me the front sprocket didn't even look worn, and like you I thought that it was chain issue. Holding the old sprocket against a new one confirmed that it had begun to wear, and replacing the sprocket was an instant cure.

If fitted, also ensure that the clutch on the rear derailleur is engaged.

edit.. I should add that sprocket quality also plays a part. Connex sprockets have always proved superb, but when the issue above arose, I had been using an OE sprocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Eddie is a reluctant expert on Bosch eMTB chain suck, so his diagnosis is almost bound to be correct.

Bit of a nuisance, but the front sprockets are cheap and easy enough to change.

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for the guidance all.

Can anyone tell me the tooth count for the standard KTM Macina sprocket?

Forgot to ask about the 10 gear cassette whatis the default tooth range on them too

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Make sure clutch is on if SLX or XT. Level on derailleur which keeps chain tension. I left it off a couple times after working on bike and had chain suck in wet and mud. The only way to clear on Cube is step on chain.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I am going to change the front cog, chain and 10 gear cassette.

So I am after the standard tooth count for front and back plus how many links I need to remove from a 138 link chanin (if any)

Looks like I have to buy a spider tool too :-(

On the plus side I love the KTM and its been amazing fun for the last three years

I will probaly order the mid size if no one can give me the actual numbers.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Make sure clutch is on if SLX or XT. Level on derailleur which keeps chain tension. I left it off a couple times after working on bike and had chain suck in wet and mud. The only way to clear on Cube is step on chain.
I have no idea what that is? I have an on/off lever on the derailleur which i leave in the on position except when working in the area of the chain / gears. If thats what you are refering too?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Assuming that you are running a Shimano set up, the lever is exactly what Trever was refering to. With the clutch engaged, the derailleur is hard to move, and disengaged is it easy. Always disengage it when removing the rear wheel.

I use a Sunrace 11-42 currently on my Lycan, but believe that the Lycan originally came with an 11-36 cassette.

Also by memory a 15t front sprocket size was standard then, but has now changed to a 16t.

I still run a 15t front sprocket as it seems to work very well for my needs.

I'll check the chain length a little later, but again by memory with my current 'non standard' set up, I think that it is 107 links.
If you happen to change to my set up, you will require a fractionally longer 'B' screw for the derailleur.

Is there a reason that you can't check what the bike already has, or has it already been altered from OE spec?

This is the current set up.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Assuming that you are running a Shimano set up, the lever is exactly what Trever was refering to. With the clutch engaged, the derailleur is hard to move, and disengaged is it easy. Always disengage it when removing the rear wheel.

I use a Sunrace 11-42 currently on my Lycan, but believe that the Lycan originally came with an 11-36 cassette.

Also by memory a 15t front sprocket size was standard then, but has now changed to a 16t.

I still run a 15t front sprocket as it seems to work very well for my needs.

I'll check the chain length a little later, but again by memory with my current 'non standard' set up, I think that it is 107 links.
If you happen to change to my set up, you will require a fractionally longer 'B' screw for the derailleur.

Is there a reason that you can't check what the bike already has, or has it already been altered from OE spec?

This is the current set up.

Thanks Eddie for that complete response.

I could count them but I am not near the bike and I want to order them from e-bike shop today