Chain slipping?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Ive increased the number of teeth on the front chain ring but I've kept the new chain the same length as the previous

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rear hub geared bikes aren't affected as much as the drive is kinder on both the chain and gear teeth.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
One of the many reasons I love my alfine 8 is that when the rear sprocket wears out they less than a tenner to replace (along with a new chain which can be a nice meaty single speed one if you wish)

Reactions: Gringo

50Cycles victim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2019
could someone suggest which replacement chain I should buy? This information appears nowhere that I can see in the documentation!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all you can do is try different makes and see what lasts longer.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Before you spend anymore, check your derailleur tension screw setting. Maximise chain wrap around each sprocket- top jockey wheel positioned such that the chain is just clear of the cassette when in gear 11

D

Deleted member 25121

This is where an angle grinder saves a lot of time.

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
Have you done a proper gear adjustment after replacing the ring, if not then you should start with that. Make sure the limits are set correctly (both front and rear gears). Also check if you're using the correct chain size for your setup.

The problem could also be a change in the chain tension, as the rear derailleur is now working with a larger cog. Check if derailleur is properly adjusted and maintains the correct tension. Watch for any sudden chain 'jumps' when shifting gears, if that occurs then get a £7 chain tensioner from ebay (the one with jockey wheel and tension spring, not a fixed one as shown on this video
) and install it near the front ring, that should solve the problem.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I can only add to what some have already said
It's 100percent wear on the rear
Nothing more nothing less

Reactions: chris_n