Chances of marrying a Swytch front wheel with a Yose (Lishui) controller.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Hi. In my “bag of bits” I have a Swytch front wheel, and also from a different source, a Yose(Lishui) controller (photo attached) with a C500 display.

Do I have any chance of marrying these together - considering that there doesn’t appear to be any settings on the C500 for wheel parameters, such as number of poles, etc.?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think the lishui is more plug and play and basic vs the KT brand, the Lishui I think may simply just work. The only pole count with kits are usually magnet count for the PAS .

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Well I suppose it’s worth giving it a try at least. I’ve seen that the PAS has the same number of magnets as the Yose kits (12) so I’m not expecting that to be an issue.

Posts I’ve seen here when Swytch wheels have been used with KT controllers have given me the believe that there are parameter settings to consider with gearing ratios of the hubs, etc. - hence my (probably naive) post!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi. In my “bag of bits” I have a Swytch front wheel, and also from a different source, a Yose(Lishui) controller (photo attached) with a C500 display.

Do I have any chance of marrying these together - considering that there doesn’t appear to be any settings on the C500 for wheel parameters, such as number of poles, etc.?
I'm not sure, but I think some of the first Swytch motor might be sensorless, but if you have a 9-pin controller, it'll work. You don't need any settings for any normal motor. The settings are for what you do with it.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Thanks Saneagle. The swytch wheels I have are all 9-pin so it should be ok then. Will post the result when I get the cable I’m waiting for.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I’ve added the swytch front wheel to a Yose powerpack that has an integeral Lishui controller (photo previously added). I checked out the wiring on the swytch PAS and can confirm that the wiring is the same as Yose (picture attached of the male julet that plugs into the controller socket). Everything works!
One issue though, which I’m hoping someone can help with. The bike works fine with just the wheel and PAS (no brake sensors, or throttle, or front light), but the C500 display constantly shows ERR 9, which translates I believe to a comms error. Both the PAS and the display are fully functional so comms is clearly working for these devices.
Has anyone any thoughts what might be wrong? Thanks!

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I’ve added the swytch front wheel to a Yose powerpack that has an integeral Lishui controller (photo previously added). I checked out the wiring on the swytch PAS and can confirm that the wiring is the same as Yose (picture attached of the male julet that plugs into the controller socket). Everything works!
One issue though, which I’m hoping someone can help with. The bike works fine with just the wheel and PAS (no brake sensors, or throttle, or front light), but the C500 display constantly shows ERR 9, which translates I believe to a comms error. Both the PAS and the display are fully functional so comms is clearly working for these devices.
Has anyone any thoughts what might be wrong? Thanks!
The main cause of the comms error is a short or misconnection on the 5v. It can be anywhere that uses 5v, which is everywhere. All you can do is check every wire, every connector and everywhere water can go.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
The main cause of the comms error is a short or misconnection on the 5v. It can be anywhere that uses 5v, which is everywhere. All you can do is check every wire, every connector and everywhere water can go.
Thanks Saneagle. I did splice a new plug onto the C500 display - I cut off the original plug to marry the C500 to a Swytch controller. Maybe I didn’t do a good job, but the display does fully function as I can change parameters and settings just fine. If I can’t find the fault I’ll stick a bit of tape over the error 9!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks Saneagle. I did splice a new plug onto the C500 display - I cut off the original plug to marry the C500 to a Swytch controller. Maybe I didn’t do a good job, but the display does fully function as I can change parameters and settings just fine. If I can’t find the fault I’ll stick a bit of tape over the error 9!
one more thing that might help. An intermittent electrical fault like that will have an intermittent cause.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
one more thing that might help. An intermittent electrical fault like that will have an intermittent cause.
It’s a full-on issue as it’s there all the time as soon as I turn it on, and stays there - but it isn’t affecting anything that I can see.
i’ve stripped it back firstly to just the wheel, controller, PAS and display, and now taken the PAS and wheel away and still get the error 9. This just leaves the battery with integeral controller, the 5-into-1 cable, and the display. Either the problem lies with these items, or it’s expecting a signal from something that’s not connected. I’ll have a further play tomorrow.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
If you can change settings beyond speed metric and wheel size its not a 'restricted' 250w kit display but a 350w/18a kit display. there may be a compatibility issue down to the f/w implementation?

I seem to recall reading reports of failure attempting to use a 350w kit displays sold as an accessory by yose to bypass the restrictions on the 250w kits..

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
If you can change settings beyond speed metric and wheel size its not a 'restricted' 250w kit display but a 350w/18a kit display. there may be a compatibility issue down to the f/w implementation?

I seem to recall reading reports of failure attempting to use a 350w kit displays sold as an accessory by yose to bypass the restrictions on the 250w kits..
What you say makes a lot of sense as it all is all fundamentally working ok. I can live with it saying error 9 either way.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023

My experience was t'other way around. I found that the "250w" 15A downtube controller (as pictured upthread) had an "abrupt" cut-off at 15.5 mph top speed so I tried swapping it for the 18A one that Yose sell as a "350w" accessory. I was disappointed that the kit supplied C500 display wouldn't enable top speed setting or throttle settings, but the increased amps did provide more power at each PAS setting. It didn't show any error codes though.
I bought the C500 display that Yose sell as a "350w" accessory instead to match the new controller. As well as enabling the top speed and throttle settings, the top speed cut-off (at whatever speed it is set at) is much more gradual and user friendly.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
My experience was t'other way around. I found that the "250w" 15A downtube controller (as pictured upthread) had an "abrupt" cut-off at 15.5 mph top speed so I tried swapping it for the 18A one that Yose sell as a "350w" accessory. I was disappointed that the kit supplied C500 display wouldn't enable top speed setting or throttle settings, but the increased amps did provide more power at each PAS setting. It didn't show any error codes though.
I bought the C500 display that Yose sell as a "350w" accessory instead to match the new controller. As well as enabling the top speed and throttle settings, the top speed cut-off (at whatever speed it is set at) is much more gradual and user friendly.
Did you try the '350w display' with the 15a controller? like op may have?
Yose-Power may compound the issue by selling 2x brands of 15a controller, with the cassette kits its a JYT brand controller supplied, this may be the one with problems??
Its the type i have and after reading about issues i dropped my interest as by then the bike was on the rd and i was More than content with the speed being limited at 15mph .. MY bike is not built for speed..

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Did you try the '350w display' with the 15a controller? like op may have.
Yose-Power may compound the issue by selling 2x brands of 15a controller, with the cassette kits its a JYT brand controller supplied, this may be the one with problems??
Its the type i have and after reading about issues i dropped my interest as by then the bike was on the rd and i was More than content with the speed being limited at 15mph .. MY bike is not built for speed..
No, because I had already decided that I didn't like the abrupt cut-off that the JYT 15a controller gave, so it was a case of "try another controller". The 18a "ramps down" at the limit of each PAS setting much better.
As an aside, like many others new to e-bike kits, I got hung up about more about speed, but as time has gone on I find that I am happier at sub-15mph most of the time. The cold air doesn't make my eyes water, if I use a lower PAS level I get more exercise and the range increases. About 10-12mph allows me to look at the scenery.
I've even changed the throttle setting back to the 6kmh limit as I only really use it as a "nudge" to get moving from rest if I'm lazy or in the wrong gear! My other bike is fitted with a Yose 350w rear freewheel kit and I now have it set up in the same way. At 17a max setting the only real differences are that due to the motor gearing and /or windings, the 350w accelerates quicker, but the 250w is slightly better at slower speeds on steep hills.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Throw them in the spares bin or sell on ebay , do away with the non compatibility of Lishui and simply use a better non fussy KT controller/display combo.
With KT one can opt for at least 12 lcd's will all work, LCD4 is a bit temperamental though.

Reactions: Cisco-man

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Throw them in the spares bin or sell on ebay , do away with the non compatibility of Lishui and simply use a better non fussy KT controller/display combo.
With KT one can opt for at least 12 lcd's will all work, LCD4 is a bit temperamental though.
KT here I come!
I'm not being flippant. I was heading for KT anyway - it’s just that I had these bits handing around. I shall pause slightly to see what comes of these potential government changes though.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
KT here I come!
I'm not being flippant. I was heading for KT anyway - it’s just that I had these bits handing around. I shall pause slightly to see what comes of these potential government changes though.
hope you write a conversion/fix thread, are you going to fit an in the battery sled kt controller, or in tube option, or or are you going with the standard silver box??

That sure sounds familiar @Cadence as soon as i had put in the order for my kit i was looking at getting the restrictions lifted. not so much to go faster, but more on principle that i like to own stuff i buy and be the one in control.- and was kinda ambivalent on discovering there is no need to 'jailbreak' the bike, I still could look into it but whats the point? the bike works fine as is.. Granted not how i would configure if given a free hand, but we dont have free hands we have regs..

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
hope you write a conversion/fix thread, are you going to fit an in the battery sled kt controller, or in tube option, or or are you going with the standard silver box??
Nothing’s quite so simple with me. The pedelec thing started with me because I couldn’t bear to be parted from my trusty trailblazer of nearly thirty years, so as it’s a soft-tail the swytch kit seemed a good idea to begin with. It now has turned into a bit of a “back to the future” bike as you can see! I’ve got a swytch battery mount on the handlebars so’s I can go for a quick ride, and I’ve mounted a down-tube Yose 15.6 battery on my bespoke rear pannier (soft-tails don’t like panniers) for long rides. A controller box (currently with a swytch Lishui) sits on the cross bar.

Attachments

Reactions: thelarkbox