Change from Active to Performance CX

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi All,

I currently have the Bosch Active motor but was wondering if its possible to upgrade it to the Pefromance CX as due to my weight I'm struggling in some parts of my rides (live in a very hilly area),

Does anyone know if dealers are able to swap these out to the Performance motors at all?

Thanks for any help in advance

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can only buy/ replace the motor that you have so if you want a performance motor that will need a new bike with one fitted.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniel Chapman

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Try changing your gears i went from a 11-34 to 11-42 and it was a massive difference

i live in quite a flat every about 90% of my ride where i live is flat but that slight extra gearing did help me out when doing the hill working and towing

Do you know what front crank you have for example i started off on a 18 teeth crank and now i am on a 16 teeth crank.

changing your gear ratio can make a massive difference to your ride

Every terrain is different so everyone needs different gearing

• Informative

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Try changing your gears i went from a 11-34 to 11-42 and it was a massive difference

i live in quite a flat every about 90% of my ride where i live is flat but that slight extra gearing did help me out when doing the hill working and towing

Do you know what front crank you have for example i started off on a 18 teeth crank and now i am on a 16 teeth crank.

changing your gear ratio can make a massive difference to your ride

Every terrain is different so everyone needs different gearing
This is cheapest option. Replacing engine sprocket is simplest and cheapest option, go for 15t. If you have 9spd derailleur (typically 11-34 or 11-36) sunrace do 11-40, see Amazon. The tradeoff is slightly lower climbing speed.

Our Shimano steps (active equivalent) has equivalent of 15t spocket with 11-34 9spd. Lowest gear will climb any sealed hill you are likely to come across with ease.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

Changing the motor sprocket to one with one or two teeth fewer should sort it. If you have an 18 tooth one, a 16T will increase your torque by at least 11%. It could be a lot more than that because the motor will be operating in a more efficient zone.

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Thank you all very much for the replies, much appreciated and very helpful.

It looks like I'll get a smaller sprocket and the 11-40 derailleur as its much cheaper than a bike! Will I need to get a new chain also for this?

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i would go down to a 16 teeth sprocket and see how you go and and get a 11-40 a new chain is a must

When you take your bike to get it sorted out you will need a new lock ring and o ring to put the new front sprocket on

you can buy them offline they are not very expensive about £30 quid for the lock ring at the 16 teeth sprocket plus the chain and the rear cassette and give that a go

Ask the mechanic what it has at the moment and work from theirs but a 16 is a good guide depending on your terrain

if 16 teeth is not enough then just drop down again and then at some point you will find the happy medium to suit your terrain

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
i would go down to a 16 teeth sprocket and see how you go and and get a 11-40 a new chain is a must

When you take your bike to get it sorted out you will need a new lock ring and o ring to put the new front sprocket on

you can buy them offline they are not very expensive about £30 quid for the lock ring at the 16 teeth sprocket plus the chain and the rear cassette and give that a go

Ask the mechanic what it has at the moment and work from theirs but a 16 is a good guide depending on your terrain

if 16 teeth is not enough then just drop down again and then at some point you will find the happy medium to suit your terrain
16T would be raising the gearing, not lowering it.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/e-bike-trekking/cross-hybrid/cube-cross-hybrid-pro-400-blacknred-2016/

From the spec above, the Cube Cross Hybrid 400 comes with a 15T as standard, so it would mean changing to a 14T front sprocket, from the standard OE 15T. (If I have the right bike, and the spec is correct)

The rear is also a nine speed 11-34 cassette, so plenty of options to go lower on that. If it were me, I'd leave the 15T front as it is, and just change the rear cassette for either an 11-36 or 11-38. Going much larger with the lowest gear, could possibly then mean a change of rear mech from a medium cage to long cage, or at the minimum necessitate a longer B screw to be fitted, which is no big issue.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can get a 13t at the front just last time i looked was 50 quid :eek:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Daniel hasn't stated what bike it is. If it is Cube I'm surprised he is having trouble on hills unless they are very steep. Our Shimano Steps has same gearing.

Fitting 13-14t chainring may require different locking nut. 11-40t cassette is best bet assuming derailleur will take it. Larger steps between gears is not that much of issue on ebike.

Reactions: Mac_user82