Change UK law to allow 30mph ebikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tens of thousands of Dutch, Danish, ... ?
Judging by the cycling promotional videos it's always sunny there.

Seriously though, 30% of the Dutch and 50% of the Danes don't cycle and do still like driving.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
62% of Copenhagen can't be wrong...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
62% of Copenhagen can't be wrong...
The Danes always quote Copenhagen since that's the bright spot for cycling. The rest of the country is nowhere near as successful, hence my optimistic 50% overall, probably a large overestimate.

The Dutch model is best overall, but in hilly car-loving Britain it wouldn't be remotely as successful.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My premise is that weather isn't the main factor.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My premise is that weather isn't the main factor.
My thoughts:

Traffic and safety perceptions number one.

Effort required number two.

"Image" number three.

Weather number four, though this will figure more highly among car drivers.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Another word: Weather!

who in their right mind would substitute a warm cosy car for a bike in our climate? Rain, snow, wind, 0C ??!
As a very recent convert from lazy git in a car to lazy git on a bicycle, I have actually been surprised that the impact of weather hasn't been quite as anticipated. No - I do not like having to tog up in waterproof trousers. No - I do not like getting a soaking in cold rain. But I haven't had to get ice off my windscreen this year - so far. Not have I had that cold bum effect of a car seat after a freezing night. I haven't had to get cold and wet walking from or to my car - wherever I managed to park it. I have felt nice and warm both on arrival at work, and getting home, even on a cold day.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As I age I am wearing waterproof trousers more and more, they keep you so warm. In fact I wear them when walking too, much more convenient than an umbrella!

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
What I would wish is an ebike able to keep up with urban traffic. At present for lots of the country that means 30mph, but without other changes that would be dangerous. 1- change legislation to protect cyclists - see previous posts 2-change visual impact to differentiate fast ebikes - see previous posts
I have a legally registered Peugeot eu01s and am using it for commuting. What I have found is although I get to 27-28 mph in a 30 zone the drivers still want to pass me. I’ve been quite surprised by this but can only assume they think it’s a bike! Also drivers turning right can’t anticipate my speed so I need to be really careful

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
When you have a quick look in the mirror as the lights go green you should seem some open mouthed puzzled looks as well. Your reasons are the reasons I gave up on 45 km/h. I'll try again on the trike, already downhill with pedal power they can't keep up :)

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
What I have found is although I get to 27-28 mph in a 30 zone the drivers still want to pass me. I’ve been quite surprised by this but can only assume they think it’s a bike! Also drivers turning right can’t anticipate my speed so I need to be really careful
believe me It really is a bike David, just because its registered as a `moped` means nothing..

and why o why do you want to ride what is essentially a pushbike at almost 30mph in and out of busy traffic?? Have you tried to pull a bike to a stop from 30mph?

I don`t see the logic in all this.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi David
Having seen your previous thread, I am very interested in your experience riding a 30mph bicycle on the road and sadly I am not surprised by your early encounters. Having ridden motorcycles with top speed of between 25 and 150mph for 40+ years something I have learnt is that road position is key to survival. If you travel too far to the left on 2 wheels of any kind, car drivers will instinctively think you are traveling at a speed slower than them and feel obliged to overtake you at any cost whatever your speed. Take up approx. 1/3rd of the road making cars cross the centre line and therefore making them think about the overtake and things change dramatically. You will still get the idiots that must overtake, but the majority will be happy to drop their speed by 2-3 mph and stay behind you, especially is heavy traffic. Hope this is of help to you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can hit 35 on my bike :D

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
believe me It really is a bike David, just because its registered as a `moped` means nothing..

and why o why do you want to ride what is essentially a pushbike at almost 30mph in and out of busy traffic?? Have you tried to pull a bike to a stop from 30mph?

I don`t see the logic in all this.

Tommie never mentioned anything about it not being a bike. Everyone on this forum will have different ideas and reasons for the different bikes they use.
I am a keen cyclist last year I cycled 2000 miles socially. My reason was to do more ‘free’ miles I commute 13 miles into Glasgow City Centre by car it takes roughly 40 minutes. Using my normal bike it took me round about an hour. Using my S-Pedelec I have got my commute to a best time of 41 minutes and an average of just under 45. On my way home there a couple of big hills this bike just eats them up. On top of this I get the benefit of free exercise as instead of sitting in the car I’m getting fresh air and spinning my legs ‘free miles’
The other benefits are u save £6 per day on fuel and £5 per day parking and it’s s better option than public transport. On top of this it’s great fun when I clear the city and can comfortably eat the miles up at nearly 30 mph. As for stopping at 30 mph the big hydraulic brakes work well and it’s no different from my road bike when I’m at full speed

Reactions: anotherkiwi

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
Hi David
Having seen your previous thread, I am very interested in your experience riding a 30mph bicycle on the road and sadly I am not surprised by your early encounters. Having ridden motorcycles with top speed of between 25 and 150mph for 40+ years something I have learnt is that road position is key to survival. If you travel too far to the left on 2 wheels of any kind, car drivers will instinctively think you are traveling at a speed slower than them and feel obliged to overtake you at any cost whatever your speed. Take up approx. 1/3rd of the road making cars cross the centre line and therefore making them think about the overtake and things change dramatically. You will still get the idiots that must overtake, but the majority will be happy to drop their speed by 2-3 mph and stay behind you, especially is heavy traffic. Hope this is of help to you.
Have started to notice this, in one area I just stay out due to all the speed bumps. I have the old grandad rights on my license so didn’t need to do a CBT. It would probably have helped.

Thanks for the advice will start to use it when the snow clears.

Cephalotus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2017
Germany
It'd get very confusing with kids putting go faster red triangles on their pushbikes...
I think the new daylight signature light for Supernova M99 or Lupine SL is quite good....

On the rear side you have the license plate and brake lights.

In Germany it has been easy to buy a speed Pedelec + insurance for many years.

In 2016 market share of speed Pedelec was exactly 1% (6.000 out of 605.000). 99% prefered to buy a 25km/h Pedelec instead.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers