Change UK law to allow 30mph ebikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think is the problem with modern cars, and why cyclists appear unsafe on the roads - acceleration
It's made far worse with e-cars, the fact of having maximum torque from zero revs and no gear change lag means they have phenomenal early acceleration. In urban areas I leave mine in Eco all the time since in normal mode the acceleration is embarrassing. Even in Eco mode it outruns almost everything else off the mark without even trying.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It's made far worse with e-cars, the fact of having maximum torque from zero revs and no gear change lag means they have phenomenal early acceleration. In urban areas I leave mine in Eco all the time since in normal mode the acceleration is embarrassing. Even in Eco mode it outruns almost everything else off the mark without even trying.
i bet you cant pull a wheelie tho :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get some of them batts then wooof ;)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Here's a vid of a biker with his eyes on a cyclist ahead of him....
I doubt he was riding close to 30 mph.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

try ebike round newyork fkn bike lane is part ot the road pmsl

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I've procrastinated with this one for a while....but as an E- mountain biker I'm happy with things generally.... Off road- today- 12km/h for 40 mins in Sport/Tour uphill ...when I go back down? It's mainly off as fast flowing/semi technical is beyond 25km/h(and I'm going DOWNhill) and I recently hit 57km/h on a relatively short section of track near my house... The 23kg bike feels amazingly planted, I've no complaints- fast up and solid down.... BUUUUUUT..... If I was on the road with slicks, cutting it with traffic and idiots everywhere I know that 15.5mph is just really not enough. Up to speed in no time then hit the wall. E bikes will replace mopeds- it's logical- they could cut "pollution" (I've avoided "climate change" which is ****** but pollution is real). If I had an e-bike and used it on the road for commuting I think I would follow SW's advice, dongle it, then fit a mirror and just behave yourself and nobody will bother you.... loads of drink drivers around here, some with 10 year bans who still drive and the cops are useless....oh....your ebike was going a bit fast today? Really?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Do you folks think that one possibility in the future (not sure how many years away this would be) could be to fit new pedelecs with a sort of GPS sensors which in turn would govern what speed they are allowed to go. So for example if your cycling on a cycle path then your automatically restricted to 15.5 mph. If however you move over onto the road then the speed restriction is removed and you are now allowed to do say 30 mph.

The system could be tied in with the car system which I think is due out in a few years time. So if a car is restricted to say 20 mph on a particular road, then a pedelec would have the same restriction. I'm wondering could 5G and the internet of things (not sure what that means lol), be utilized to get this kind of system working.

Lets say in most towns and cities cars would be restricted to 20 or 30 mph and pedelecs would be allowed to do the exact same speed. Do you think more people would be tempted to cycle as they would be able to keep up with the traffic, and travel time on the bike would probably be quicker as you could pass by any traffic hold ups.
Would require ever such high quality, fine-grain GPS.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E bikes will replace mopeds- it's logical- they could cut "pollution"
No, e-mopeds will replace i.c. mopeds as batteries improve.

That's the way legislators think on pollution as the compulsion to go from two stroke mopeds to four stroke mopeds shows, just improving what's there.

I don't see Pedelec law changing now it's virtually a worldwide standard. There's only the USA and Canada seriously out of line now and it's a shambles in both of those due to State legislatures.

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Advertisers