Changing to a larger Chainring

kwesi taylor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2016
hemel hempstead
Hi, i'm a newbie to a-bikes. Purchased a Haibike Yamaha SDuro Cross SL 3 months back, as my commuter bike. I'm riding with a dongle, predominately on back roads, but as I'm nore of a roadie, i'm finding that the 38t chainring is not big enough. Can anyone advise what I can upgrade this to. I've been advised that its a 104 BCD 38t.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Welcome!

I would suggest trying a 44. I have changed my GSM from a 46 to a 42 because of biggish hills (the Pyrenees...). Remember you have to keep your cadence up so as to not bog the motor down.

You could mount a twin chainring on the Yamaha, the Giants allow this can't see why the Haibike would be any different. Then you could go the whole hog and mount a 48-38 which would cover flat and hilly rides.

Steve Kent

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2016
Paisley
I'm sure it's possible, the guy in my local bike shop gave me a price of around £65 to supply and fit. The front derailleur adjustment and some spacers are needed and some labour, which I thought was quite reasonable.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
You can do a 2x chainring conversion (I have done mine, pinched the chainrings off wife's bike cos she never uses front shifter). It is quite expensive by the time you have bought 2 chainrings, shifter, derailleur and cable. If you go this route you need a direct mount top pull front derailleur, a dual pull can also be used but must have the bottom pull part of the lever cut off. If you just fit a larger chainring you are limited to 44 teeth using the stock chain guide. If you use a narrow/wide chainring you can ditch the chain guide and go to 48t.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My front derailleur is a glove in the panier bag! If I am ever in trouble I have a granny front chainring which will climb walls without assistance.