Charging Lipo from an inverter. Any expereince?

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
It might be that the when you first switch the sterling inverter on the initial surge of current is too much and it doesn't kick in properly. Have you tried switching the sterling inverter on with nothing plugged into it, waiting a few seconds for it's output to stabilise and then plugging the charger into it?

handmadematt

Pedelecer
Thanks. Although I think that is what I did (I normally do.) I will try this very deliberately again tomorrow though.
What's funny is that the inverter does remain powered up, the bike charger does run, just with a lot less power.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
It would be interesting to measure the output voltage of the inverter somehow (safely!) while the inverter is not powering the charger properly. I have a 650w sterling inverter that according to it's indicator lights is working fine when it actually isnt giving any output at all sometimes if it doesnt like what is plugged into it

handmadematt

Pedelecer
That's interesting to hear. A clamp on meter would be ideal. I think I have one somewhere, I'll check tomorrow.
I have emailed Sterling directly about this and will keep the forum updated.
Ta.

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
Try adding a small lightbulb to the inverter on a socket doubler.

I tried to run a small electric staple/nail gun on a 600watt inverter. But it would not fire.
Seems it needs some load for the sensor to detect and control the output voltage. The guns single pulse to fire wasnt enough.

Adding a bulb brought the voltage upto 240v (ish) and the staple gun worked no problem.

Had a similar issue with a petrol generator. Trying to use a welder with it. Welder didnt like the slow to react voltage from the generator.
Sticking a 100w lightbulb on that sorted it.

Bulb cause the generator to increase the revs to start the ball rolling.

Reactions: jackhandy
D

Deleted member 4366

Inverters often have current detection. Unless you're drawing a minimum current from them, they go into a sleep mode. No good for charging phones and things like that.