charging problem

n.r.evans

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2011
help required with charging issue, whilst recently attempting to connect my Haibike trekking 4 to the charger after a short ride I experienced a large flash as i tried to connect the charger. The battery seems to be ok and still powers the bike but the charger will not re charge the battery does the charger have an internal fuse or have I damaged and will need to replace the charger and or the battery

Reactions: TedG

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The first thing is to get out your multimeter (you don't have one! but you have an eBike - best buy one soonest) and see if the charger is putting out a voltage on the charging plug pins.

If not, use the multimeter to check the charger's mains lead plug fuse.

If there is an internal fuse inside the charger, then you'll be looking at a bit of a strip-down which I'm suspecting is not something you'll be wanting to have a go at?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
help required with charging issue, whilst recently attempting to connect my Haibike trekking 4 to the charger after a short ride I experienced a large flash as i tried to connect the charger. The battery seems to be ok and still powers the bike but the charger will not re charge the battery does the charger have an internal fuse or have I damaged and will need to replace the charger and or the battery
Apparently, a short circuit "happened", for some reason, and the advice you have received already from the two other members that posted, should help you to find out where the problem actually is and maybe fix it too.
Photos of the charger connector and the battery connector, may help in further diagnosis - possibly. A bit of a long shot, but easily done.
Maybe the charger cable was already damaged or loose in some way, which was the ultimate cause and effect!
And as already mentioned, it might be just a fuse somewhere, if you are lucky!
I also agree with Bikes4two, about an e-biker having a multi-meter handy, and to learn how to use it safely. Even a cheap one, at say under 20 UK Pounds, will deliver valuable infos, that many here can interpret for you accurately, as you have come to the right place for your questions.
I also found his comment of "(you don't have one! but you have an e-Bike - best buy one soonest)" to be fully accurate, and well thought out, a little bit of humour!
Having an e-bike today, IMO is in some ways similar to owning a car say 100 years ago, then you had to learn enough to make (simple) tests, checks and maintenance.
An e-bike is not quite as simple as an ordinary bike, with no motor, as many (you are far from alone) apparently wrongly believe.
If you have a good friend or neighbour, who can read and use (and HAS!) a multi-meter in such situations, who understands electricity, you might want to invite him to your house for a few beers and an e-bike diagnosis!
Ask questions, learn the answers and watch exactly what he does.
I wish you well, and that your problem(s) are easily fixed, but going to an LBS may cost you "an arm and a leg", unless you still have a full guarantee on the bike! Then you do not touch the bike, but bring it to them of course!
I wish you luck
Andy

Reactions: Bikes4two

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Having an e-bike today, IMO is in some ways similar to owning a car say 100 years ago, then you had to learn enough to make (simple) tests, checks and maintenance.
I think a big part of the problem is that most bike shops are not interested in repairing e-bikes unless they are expensive mid drive jobs, where they can earn a lot of money from them.

So most e-bike owners are left on their own if something goes wrong.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I think a big part of the problem is that most bike shops are not interested in repairing e-bikes unless they are expensive mid drive jobs, where they can earn a lot of money from them.
You are not alone in your thoughts, sadly!:)
Andy

Reactions: Bikes4two

n.r.evans

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2011
thanks for your replies yes I do have a damaged connector on the battery probably this caused the short circuit if its a blown fuse then I will change it first all good advice a big thanks to all

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks for your replies yes I do have a damaged connector on the battery probably this caused the short circuit if its a blown fuse then I will change it first all good advice a big thanks to all
That seems to be a common problem with the Yamaha system.

n.r.evans

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2011
more help required, I have now checked the charger with a multimeter and can confirm there is no output from the charger the mains input is good can anyone confirm that there is and internal fuse in the (yamaha) charger before I take it apart or is the charger not repairable .
mant thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
more help required, I have now checked the charger with a multimeter and can confirm there is no output from the charger the mains input is good can anyone confirm that there is and internal fuse in the (yamaha) charger before I take it apart or is the charger not repairable .
mant thanks
There's always one in the plug.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
mant thanks
The Yamaha charger does not have power on the connection until it has a handshake signal from the battery.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sounds like the wires/connector on the charger are damaged. Have a read of this thread from member with similar problem.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
fuse in the plug is ok so power into the charger is good but no output just wondered if any one had had one of these chargers apart before I delve in
I don't know your Yamaha charger, but of those I have taken apart and fixed, most have an internal fuse on the input - usually 3A (rather than 5A in the plug) soldered directly onto the board; easily replaced. Chargers are usually designed to protect against overcurrent, short circuit, and reverse polarity... worth opening if you need to as apart from an internal fuse, something obvious/cheap may have smoked internally.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
This happened to me.

My charger was protected by a 5 amp fuse in the plug. If it is the same for you both battery and charger should be OK once the fuse has been replaced.

You need to find out why the fuse blew. In my case chafed wires near to where they entered the charger from the wires that connected to the plug.

If this is the same for you you need to tidy and sort out the wires.

Once this was done mine has been absolutely fine since.

n.r.evans

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2011
At last I can report some good news I have managed to locate a company that can repair or offer a replacement chargers for the s duro and I would expect others if you are having problems . I took my battery with a broken charging socket and charger no output they repaired the charger and fitted new plug to the battery and charger(the new plug and socket are 4 pin but slightly different to the original) they also said in the event of not being able to repair my charger they could offer me a replacement at a very good price .The company is called POWATECHNIC 01142438100 web site powatechnic.com. I found them very helpful and pleasant to deal with and reasonable prices I do hope this helps others that are struggling with e/bike charging problems

Reactions: mike killay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
At last I can report some good news I have managed to locate a company that can repair or offer a replacement chargers for the s duro and I would expect others if you are having problems . I took my battery with a broken charging socket and charger no output they repaired the charger and fitted new plug to the battery and charger(the new plug and socket are 4 pin but slightly different to the original) they also said in the event of not being able to repair my charger they could offer me a replacement at a very good price .The company is called POWATECHNIC 01142438100 web site powatechnic.com. I found them very helpful and pleasant to deal with and reasonable prices I do hope this helps others that are struggling with e/bike charging problems
That is a very useful site, under 'battery charger' they have photos of all the different battery sockets, except the old 'kettleplug'